• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen And N's Real Name is...

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
Im actually not surprised, Considering all of the other character's names.
Who names their kid Red?!

dozo

party hardy
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 3, 2014
uhhhhhh
I'll still be calling him N.
Gropius? Seriously? Reminds me of some creeper... groping all around and such.
=|

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
You're kidding me, I hope Game Freak is just trolling us with this name, I was hoping it was "Nathaniel" or "Nicolai", but THIS!? This is just, need I say it, "Unnatural". I've heard of people named "Forest" and "Autumn" and "Christopher Columbus", and even one person called "Batman", but NATURAL!? Either Ghetsis has a cruel sense of humor, or Game Freak is trolling the fanbase...

assassinjay1229

Im baaaack
Years
O.o all I can think of is some guy in nature, groping people O_O oh he also plays the harmonica xD BTW his name is really Nintendo vvv my siggy tells all lol

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hey people Gropius isn't even english it's german so it doesn't come from Grope...Also natural makes sense seeing as N was natural to himself.Also something about the name's order is off...shouldn't Harmonia come last or first (if they are doing japanese name order) seeing how he shares the name with Ghetsis who is his father...unless Ghetsis full last name is actually two- Harmonia Gropius...

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
^Ghetsis Harmonia Gropius? Not sound too bad actually.

Just like magmaruby said, the Gropius part in N's name probably not coming from either germany or english but somewhere else.

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
Years
Natural Harmonia Gropius?? wth??????? What type of name is that!?!?!??!

How surprising =_____=. Natural I can get but Harmonia Gropius. What type of name is that. Sounds like nature groping or something. I feel bad for N since his dad has Bad sense in naming his children =__=. I thought that was his real name.. LOL WOW He's a prince that's why you how long their names are...

Edit: I wouldn't be surprise is Ghetsis and that Lady who's Zoroark was his parents.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Check This
Seeing that won't make his name sound weird no longer.
So Natural have German ancestry
Interesting.

Years
Am I the only one pronouncing it like Tropius? The name is quite the mouthful, but it sounds awesome.

Maybe this is the reason why i've been seeing uncomfortable fanart around deviantART

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Hey people Gropius isn't even english it's german so it doesn't come from Grope...Also natural makes sense seeing as N was natural to himself.Also something about the name's order is off...shouldn't Harmonia come last or first (if they are doing japanese name order) seeing how he shares the name with Ghetsis who is his father...unless Ghetsis full last name is actually two- Harmonia Gropius...

I think the joke was it sounds like it has the word "grope" in it... we weren't insinuating that's actually what it means :P

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS. I just found the link between N's name!

Gropius designed the United States Embassy in Greece (noting that Unova is based on New York, aka US and therefore the last name is paying tribute to that in terms of relating to the other characters and the other part of his name @ Greek).

Harmonia is apart of Greek mythology.

Concordia, also on that page, is one of the two people raising N. Harmonia's Roman counterpart is Concordia. Anthea is under the guidance of Hera, the Greek God.

So yeah, N is Greek, not German. :x

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Yeah I don't get where you guys got grope and Tropius from, I mean the latter is obvious but come one, we have bigger, and cleaner, minds than that xD

Nice work Nica! N does look Greek. This may also mean Concordia may be his mum?

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
Years
My friend called me up and told me the news when it came out. It only made "Gropius" sound that much more awkward D:

So hopefully that since he's born from Pokemon, I fully expect to be able to catch him (and a shiny version of him) in the next game!

Or not -__-'

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
All I'm gonna say is no wonder he just went by a single letter.

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS. I just found the link between N's name!

Gropius designed the United States Embassy in Greece (noting that Unova is based on New York, aka US and therefore the last name is paying tribute to that in terms of relating to the other characters and the other part of his name @ Greek).

Harmonia is apart of Greek mythology.

Concordia, also on that page, is one of the two people raising N. Harmonia's Roman counterpart is Concordia. Anthea is under the guidance of Hera, the Greek God.

So yeah, N is Greek, not German. :x

Oh, that's a very interesting find!, nica...

I wonder if Gamefreak plans to implement some Roman or Greek mythology into the third installment, or any future game for that matter. Nonetheless, that's for another discussion...

On another note, Ghetsis's (that's a mouthful) name seems to have some Greek origin as well - Ghetsis is a corrupt romanisation of ゲーチス, which is pronounced Gechisu (with emphasis on the e) apparently derives from the Greek word for sorcery.

Back