• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen And N's Real Name is...

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
LMAO. WHAT! I'm sorry, but there is every chance I could die here of laughter and this thread will be the last thing I ever see.

Nature......Harmonia......Gropius.

It reminds me of a Friends quote: "Hi, my name is Rain. I have my own kiln, and my dress is made out of wheat."

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I don't see how the name is that bad! Despite the whole display of uniqueness shown in Natural Harmonia Gropius, this chick suits it! n__n

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh, that's a very interesting find!, nica...

I wonder if Gamefreak plans to implement some Roman or Greek mythology into the third installment, or any future game for that matter. Nonetheless, that's for another discussion...

On another note, Ghetsis's (that's a mouthful) name seems to have some Greek origin as well - Ghetsis is a corrupt romanisation of ゲーチス, which is pronounced Gechisu (with emphasis on the e) apparently derives from the Greek word for sorcery.

Why hide my name? XD

I... was planning to look up Ghetsis' name actually, which further backs up that N is Greek, right now trying to find any further links between them and I can't tbh. I don't know how sorcery relates to Gods and such though. Maybe N's name means that he is the all natural member of the family, while Ghetsis uses sorcery aka not natural, so N vs Ghetsis could relate be sorta like Reshiram x Zekrom in a sense? :x Actually, this makes me wonder what Concordia/Ghetsis'/the other one's middle names are, maybe that could further explain why the names are as they are. Hmmm, can't find any relevant holidays either relating to why it was revealed then. :(

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
im not surprised that Gropius is German. it's the surname of an architect. somone who constructs things. there is a lot of German references in B/W
for starters, the is the protagonists names. Hilda and Hilbert. both are German names.
then there is deino, zweilos, and hydreigon. each has the German word for a number corresponding with the number of heads they each have in their names. ein=one, zwei=two, drei=three.
and third, Ghetsis is similar to the word "gehen". it means "to go" ghets is a conjugate of gehen. its comonly used in "wie gehts dir?" which literally translates into "how goes you" meaning how are you?
there is also a german speaking guy in that one building in castelia city.

but what intrigues me is that Harmonia is a Greek goddess. the immortal goddess of harmony and concord.

so it's stands to reason that Natural Harmonia Gropius' names means "natural harmony constructor"
this fits right in to the theme of black and white. he was trying to construct a natural harmony among people and Pokemon.

did i just blow your mind?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
im not surprised that Gropius is German. it's the surname of an architect. somone who constructs things. there is a lot of German references in B/W
for starters, the is the protagonists names. Hilda and Hilbert. both are German names.
then there is deino, zweilos, and hydreigon. each has the German word for a number corresponding with the number of heads they each have in their names. ein=one, zwei=two, drei=three.
and third, Ghetsis is similar to the word "gehen". it means "to go" ghets is a conjugate of gehen. its comonly used in "wie gehts dir?" which literally translates into "how goes you" meaning how are you?
there is also a german speaking guy in that one building in castelia city.

but what intrigues me is that Harmonia is a Greek goddess. the immortal goddess of harmony and concord.

so it's stands to reason that Natural Harmonia Gropius' names means "natural harmony constructor"
this fits right in to the theme of black and white. he was trying to construct a natural harmony among people and Pokemon.

did i just blow your mind?

But still, as I said, Gropious designed the US embassy in Greece, and with the fact that Harmonia and Concordia are actually Greek, and that Ghetsis' direct translation is a Greek name, yeaah. There are also French speakers in B/W on your other note, and other languages I can't remember - doesn't mean that it represents Germany. :x

Also on the Deino name thing: You've also got...

"Gigalith's English and Japanese names may have been derived from gigas, a term used to describe a race of earth-born giants in Greek mythology, and the Greek word lithos meaning "stone," used as the suffix -lith in English. "

"The dora in its name comes from either dragon or hydra, a possible reference to the multi-headed hydra of Greek lore."

"Deino could also be derived from the ancient Greek word deinos, which means terrifying. It could also come from dinosaurs such as the Deinosuchus and Deinonychus. Monozu probably derives from mono, a Greek prefix meaning one, and 頭 zu, Japanese for head, its full name literally reading "one head".'

There's more but... while your sentence makes sense, I think there could be a German and Greek theme going on here tbh, for it to have multiple meanings for both.

PelipperMail

Banned
Years

Why hide my name? XD

Because it's stalkerish that I know it. )x

I... was planning to look up Ghetsis' name actually, which further backs up that N is Greek, right now trying to find any further links between them and I can't tbh. I don't know how sorcery relates to Gods and such though. Maybe N's name means that he is the all natural member of the family, while Ghetsis uses sorcery aka not natural, so N vs Ghetsis could relate be sorta like Reshiram x Zekrom in a sense? :x Actually, this makes me wonder what Concordia/Ghetsis'/the other one's middle names are, maybe that could further explain why the names are as they are. Hmmm, can't find any relevant holidays either relating to why it was revealed then. :(

I couldn't find any new links either, regarding any Greek heritage or meanings. I may have a deeper look later, looking for anything that I can find. My researching muscles could use a little flexing...

I do agree that the discovery of the names of Concordia, Anthea and Ghetsis would further unravel this mystery. I really like how you picked up on that the N and Ghetsis juxtaposition is comparable to Reshiram and Zekrom - it makes a lot of sense, actually. Reshiram is supposed to be somewhat of a feminine dragon, and N seems to display stereotypical feminine qualities (long hair, caring for Pokémon, etc), and Zekrom seems to be a mirror to Ghetsis as well.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Gropius? Natural Harmonia I can understand but that last thing is just too weird. Gropius sounds like some kind of creepy gross monster, that gropes people. I don't know. Also it seems to me like they got a little of the idea of L, cause L's real name is
Spoiler:
, and that's also a little weird and doesn't really make sense.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Natural Harmonia Gropius is the most ridiculous name I have ever heard.

And I thought it was strange that he is referred to as "N". Now it makes perfect sense.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
Gropius? Natural Harmonia I can understand but that last thing is just too weird. Gropius sounds like some kind of creepy gross monster, that gropes people. I don't know. Also it seems to me like they got a little of the idea of L, cause L's real name is
Spoiler:
, and that's also a little weird and doesn't really make sense.

exactly I was just gonna keep on callin him N because that, to me, would be his name always. Also I was bewildered when I learned L's "true name" XD

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 7, 2014
Aww they revealed it already? I would've much preferred if they waited for the third game! I do hope it changes in the English version at least, Gropious isn't exactly... the best of names. :x Luckily it only makes me think of Tropious!

Actually, I think it'd at least be changed to Nature in English versions, since after all Gechisu > Ghetsis (idk I can't remember the actual name).

Why the sudden reveal though? Oh well, I can sense third game speculation flowing with activity due to this! :)

Actually, it's not such a bad name. Walter Gropius (pronounced the same, I imagine, and you do meet Harmonia in the castle hence the middle name) was one of the greatest architects of the Victorian era, and he helped to found the Bauhaus school of design.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years

However, I do agree with you, to an extent. N's name was the best game in gaming history. But Natural is one of the all-time flops.

Who ever thought of naming a game villain with a single-letter? NOBODY. That's what make N really really badass... And now, his name is revealed to be a scientific name.... Natural Groupius whatever would never replaced the simplicity and terrifying aura of N.

Snivy063

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
Lol, I totally laughed when I read it, I mean seriously? XD ;;

Back