• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Charcter Drawings (revival)

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    Okay, I really wanna post something here...
    You are one totally inspiring artist!!!! Kyaaah you rock!!!! I've been looking at almost every page in this thread to look at the comparisons 'cause it's totally inspiring to me, and I really, really, really envy you and love your artwork!! Keep up the good work!!!

Years
    gilbertman, if you don't mind me saying this, but I think life's kicking you in the nuts big time. With all the stuff that's been happening in your family and your mission to keep improving your art style and trying to post new stuff in here since last month, maybe you need a break and a vacation.

It does wonders. Believe me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    To gilbertman

Your drawings are decent, I can't say they are good or the best Ive seen otherwise I'd be lying. Your drawings are very plain and simple. The poses are too generic and don't feel organic, at all. To me, they look like paper cut-outs of people and lack 3 dimensions. Also, what bothers me are the feet. Many people may not see this, but the feet feel like they are going too much to the left and right, people do not wobble or keep their feet looking like a fish tail all day. For future reference, I suggest try drawing one foot in a 3/4 view or somewhat sideways and the other facing the viewer. The foot furthest away (which if the character is facing you then it would be your left) should be at the angle as for the other on the otherside should be the one facing the viewer. It would not only make your drawing look better, but it would add dimension to it and make the character look more organic or more believable.

So for a quick sum up, work on designs, layout and proportions.

BUT, if you were aiming for a very simplistic style of drawing then I have to say that you have nailed it and to continue but to use my critism as a possible suggestion to make your characters seem more alive.

gilbertman

Where am I?
    Years
    swtaznsteph said:
    Okay, I really wanna post something here...
    You are one totally inspiring artist!!!! Kyaaah you rock!!!! I've been looking at almost every page in this thread to look at the comparisons 'cause it's totally inspiring to me, and I really, really, really envy you and love your artwork!! Keep up the good work!!!

:D wow thank you! its not that good is it? :P

darthmoose said:
    Your drawings are decent, I can't say they are good or the best Ive seen otherwise I'd be lying. Your drawings are very plain and simple. The poses are too generic and don't feel organic, at all. To me, they look like paper cut-outs of people and lack 3 dimensions. Also, what bothers me are the feet. Many people may not see this, but the feet feel like they are going too much to the left and right, people do not wobble or keep their feet looking like a fish tail all day. For future reference, I suggest try drawing one foot in a 3/4 view or somewhat sideways and the other facing the viewer. The foot furthest away (which if the character is facing you then it would be your left) should be at the angle as for the other on the otherside should be the one facing the viewer. It would not only make your drawing look better, but it would add dimension to it and make the character look more organic or more believable.

So for a quick sum up, work on designs, layout and proportions.

BUT, if you were aiming for a very simplistic style of drawing then I have to say that you have nailed it and to continue but to use my critism as a possible suggestion to make your characters seem more alive.

first of all i say thank you for yuor input, any suggestions are welcome, i doo see a lot of the problems you mentioned and ill try to take some of your advice, and i know im still no professional and am always tring to make my drawings better, so we'll see what the future brings.......
    ohh and yeah its partially simplistic.... but thats sorta going for, im going for a more better official anime look, but im trying to add more detail

Mario The World Champion said:
    I hope gilbertman's okay.

He hasn't been around here in a long time now.

im just fine, just been busy lately, BUT i have finished 5 pictures, i hope i can bring this thread back to life... i cant say ive done anything spactacular with the drawings, just the good old gilbertman work, so ill post 2 tonight and the rest tomarrow

first and foremost i give you Whitney:

and Bill:

i tried to add more detail to the clothing, make the poses a little more interesting so there ya go post the other 3 tomarow, and i do say i am sorry and hope ya'll forgive me for taking so long, so see ya'll tomarrow!

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2009
    wow thank you! its not that good is it?
    Lol trust me, it is XD I'd say you have greatly improved looking at your comparisons. It's gotten to the point in which I can't even tell between the real thing and your's ^^ That's one thing that makes me so inspired by your art. It shows that people can improve a LOT.

Good job and keep doing a good job!

gilbertman

Where am I?
    Years
    swtaznsteph said:
    Lol trust me, it is XD I'd say you have greatly improved looking at your comparisons. It's gotten to the point in which I can't even tell between the real thing and your's ^^ That's one thing that makes me so inspired by your art. It shows that people can improve a LOT.

Good job and keep doing a good job!
    well thank you! thats exactly my thing if i can show people thtat someone can go from pixelish not very goodart to almost matching the anime, then im happy,:) and im glad your inspired i hope you and anyone who whats to draw any type of art, should try even if someone isnt tha good because if you practice you can improve just a comparison heres the comparisn of my older drawings with the new ones:

the old one was done in August 2005, and the new one of course June 2006

the old one was done May 2005 and the new one June 2006

so in just a year one can improve so much

im going to see if i cant dig up some of my REALLY old drwings for comparison..........

but again i thank you for your comments :)

Years
    gilbertman!!!!

YOU'RE ALIVE!!! Swear to god... I thought something happened to you.

Boy, I'm glad you're back and with something new in the past 2 months or so. Your Whitney pic is delicious!!

And hearing how you want to add more detail to your artwork caught my eye... do I sense a more detailed Officer Jenny pic in the future? XD

Oh... I forgot to say this. My B-day's this Saturday!! And seeing you back is great. ^^

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Nice!
    ..... why am I home this time of day? I'm not sick
    My last day of school was yesterday but I gotta take three regents. Two are today and tomorrow. It's utter crap
    btw, the only advice I gotta give you about Whitney.. Her eyes were better in the old picture. Now just optomize the old picture's eyes and you've got a winner
    Also her right hand looks a little short.... and I should've mentioned this to you but you dont need to do fingernails. The animators at Pokemon dont do it.
    Happy you're back

anakin

resigned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2013
    hi

Although the japanese people dont do finger nail i think it cool. gilbertman as soon as you can can you go to you privet messages. i left some things to say to you.

gilbertman

Where am I?
    Years
    RaikouSpecialLover said:
    Oh man, now those look like you tore them right out of the anime!
    Finish Whitney soon! (along w/my requests, plz!)
    ???? i did finish Whitney, her and bill's full pictures can be found on the previous page

and thank you!! :)

Mario The World Champion said:
    gilbertman!!!!

YOU'RE ALIVE!!! Swear to god... I thought something happened to you.

Boy, I'm glad you're back and with something new in the past 2 months or so. Your Whitney pic is delicious!!

And hearing how you want to add more detail to your artwork caught my eye... do I sense a more detailed Officer Jenny pic in the future? XD

Oh... I forgot to say this. My B-day's this Saturday!! And seeing you back is great. ^^

yeah something happened to me, i got too busy thats what happened

glad you like the new drawings :)

and yes im currently revising Officer Jenny right now

Crystal Clair said:
    Nice!
    ..... why am I home this time of day? I'm not sick
    My last day of school was yesterday but I gotta take three regents. Two are today and tomorrow. It's utter crap
    btw, the only advice I gotta give you about Whitney.. Her eyes were better in the old picture. Now just optomize the old picture's eyes and you've got a winner
    Also her right hand looks a little short.... and I should've mentioned this to you but you dont need to do fingernails. The animators at Pokemon dont do it.
    Happy you're back

yes of course i saw those probs too.. ohh well i remember that for next time.......what? i like the finger nails i think they add an added detail

and im glad to be back :)

alright
    ...ill post the other pics tonight, i noticed a couple problems so im going to fix em before i post em

anakin

resigned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2013
    I think both your new drawings and old are great. You the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i cant wait to see your new drawing tonight. I belive no one can out win you!
    If japanese animetor saw this they be proud and a little jealous too. keep up the Good wait not good but GREAT work. Today i joked to satoshi san that team rocket had kidnaped you! they cant kidnape you heck they cant even kidnap pikachu with out being BBQ but you can Kidnap them in your drawings. LOL!

gilbertman

Where am I?
    Years
    anakin said:
    Today i joked to satoshi san that team rocket had kidnaped you! they cant kidnape you heck they cant even kidnap pikachu with out being BBQ but you can Kidnap them in your drawings. LOL!

XD nice

anakin said:
    I think both your new drawings and old are great. You the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i cant wait to see your new drawing tonight. I belive no one can out win you!
    If japanese animetor saw this they be proud and a little jealous too. keep up the Good wait not good but GREAT work.
    well thanks, AHHH THEY SET US UP THE BOMB!............sorry
    well the japanese animators could be proud, jealous probly not as much :P

Shenlong said:
    Just I was about to lose hope, I knew it that you're going to make a come back soon!
    well when things look bad, here i am again :P for better or worse XD

well 2 new drawings

first though my old Drew pic:

and da new Drew:

And Liza:

well enjoy! right now im fixing up the other drawing, fixing up the Officer Jenny pic, and ill post soon my drawing of the Diamond and Pearl heroes

so see all soon!!!!!

Aisu K.

SHOWMEYAMOVES
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Home
    • Seen Oct 6, 2010
    Hmm...

Your new drawings are wonderful. The fingernails complement your pictures with that detail not seen in the anime, although Drew's head looks a bit... errr.... big? It'd be a real treat to see Flannery in your new style; perhaps even that swimsuit Flannery.:bandit:

ShinyEspeon

Lookin' for Light of Hope
    Years
    Wooow Gilbertman your new drawings are amazing.Thank you sooo much for new version of Whitney(she is one of my favourite gym leaders) and Drew.I would like to see more improve drawings of gym leaders,especially Erika,Jasmine and Adan.I'm waitin' for more you are the best I think:P

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    OMG *.* I love the new Drew one!
    I remember looking at your arts awhile back on SPPF. I can see you have nproved a lot. ^^ Awesome job, Gilbertman ^^ You are amazing.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    LIZAAAAAA!
    You're awesome. Anyone who draws Liza is awesome.
    Drew does look big.... but he's big in the show too. And one thing. Just dont overdo it on the details. The wrinkles on his black shirt are a little overdone.
    And I have a new suggestion.
    You can make two versions of every picture. It's easy though. You can make one with full background and one with a transparent background so people can use them in banners and such. You'd be just like Soara or in your case Saora. XD
    We both are very good artists.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back