• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime getting worse?

Porynoir

Cool like that...
Years
  • I watched some episodes of Black and White and Best Wishes, the only one I liked was "A Venipede Stampede!".

It wasn't bad, but not near as good as older episodes. I'm not trying to be " oh old pokemon was so much better", but I think it started getting worse since Sinnoh.

Discuss.

dnomyar27

Beginning VulpixEevee Lover
    Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I think Sinnoh was a lit long, but Unova seems to have a lot more action and it's growing[/SIZE]

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    I personally think that, because the anime has been going on for so long, the writers are just becoming tired and uninspired to the point the episodes are just becoming very stale and formulaic. I'm not going to lie, in that sense I'm a bit of a purist for early seasons where I think the plotlines still had a certain element of freshness to them. However, as I was never a fan of the voice acting once 4Kids stopped doing the dub, I've sort of stopped following the anime.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • Ideas run out. Same way that, I think, many of the cartoons, games etc nowadays aren't very original; they all repeat concepts of of previous games. I'm guessing the writers don't know what exactly to write; they've run out of ideas.

PokeGirlBel

Avengers Assemble!
    Years
  • The anime is not getting worse your just getting older. Its a kids show so most people just grow out of it thinking its getting worse due to having grown up and faced with other things. The thing is they don't expect people after 4 years to keep watching but a new group so its ok to reuse ideas. The same is true for Beyblade,Bakugan,Yugioh etc.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • They should make a more mature anime... Yes, I know, Pokémon is aimed for kid but I'm sure that a lot of older fans would watch if they made a better anime. Or an anime based on the manga.
    The first seasons were also aimed for kids, but even now I still think they are way better. At least there was a scenario, we were discovering the world of Pokémon with a great heroe, the movies were awesome (Mewtwo VS Mew <3). Now, just the fact that Ash is still here ruin a lot of things. The characters are uninteresting, and the anime is more and more childish than before.

Porynoir

Cool like that...
    Years
  • They should make a more mature anime... Yes, I know, Pokémon is aimed for kid but I'm sure that a lot of older fans would watch if they made a better anime. Or an anime based on the manga.
    The first seasons were also aimed for kids, but even now I still think they are way better. At least there was a scenario, we were discovering the world of Pokémon with a great heroe, the movies were awesome (Mewtwo VS Mew <3). Now, just the fact that Ash is still here ruin a lot of things. The characters are uninteresting, and the anime is more and more childish than before.

Couldn't have said it better my self!!!

Years
  • Plot-wise as well as animation-wise, I find the Black & White anime to be considerably more interesting than any previous season, since the animation for movements has gotten considerably more detailed, as well as Team Rocket's whole makeover as basically secret agents, and the battles have a considerable strategy element to them. The eyes don't bother me one bit since those eyes are par for the course in almost any animation, be it western or eastern. Though all this can only be seen if you take off the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses that you have for the previous seasons.

Also, I have seen no copyright infringement whatsoever in Best Wishes.

Years
  • I think it has gotten somewhat worse.. I don't consider myself a nostalgia-snob, but the new anime series is not exactly great. It's seems so bland to me. What's even worse is the fanbase, who obsess over it and freak out when I tell them it's not my favorite (note: i'm not saying all fans are like this, just a select few). However, there are definitely some good episodes, many of which appear to be better than the older ones. I also think there needs to be more changes in the anime. If the overall plot was more interesting, I would enjoy it more than even the original series. One thing the new series has right is the animations.

Last edited:

TheAC29

A new adventure begins now
    Years
  • Well, the anime is not that bad, the producers, writers and composers are trying their best to make new episodes, new shows, new music and songs, new characters, new pokemon, new designs and new games for younger generation of kids. I'm not the type of person that says "Oh, this generation of pokemon sucks the first gen is better", the people at The Pokemon Company are working hard to try to aim the series for kids from ages 5 to up and they can't remove Ash in the new series, kids might say "Where is Ash?" they might think he's grown up and that's why they need to keep Ash in the whole series.
    4Kids is the worst company that I've imagined right now, they're editing skills like Rice Balls turned into a subway sandwich and dubbed into donuts from the very first series of Pokemon, the voice acting is very good but it's editing for unknown reasons was far the worse I've ever heard from that company. Good thing, Pokemon is back to it's original owner "The Pokemon Company". :)

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    I still watch it, although I think the new B/W Pokemon are.... just weird.

Pretty soon, we'll have Lampamon and Waterbottlemon (just naming random items on my desk at this point).

Ash's new eyes are... odd, and team rocket isn't fun anymore.

Plus, Ash is a freaking numbskull now in the new series. Everything he learned the past 14 years, he seems to have just forgotten.

And I'd like to see how they do flashbacks to old episodes, something that happens moderately frequently in the series. It would be awkward to have him with the old eyes, no?

Although, what I'm saying is purely opinion. You're free to disagree and present your case as you see it. I just think it's weird. Lol.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    The answer is actually simple: Pokemon started as an anime and has slowly devolved into a Japanese cartoon. The reason we can't say whether it was better or worse is because the whole genre basically changed. Through Ash's implied age, the writers clearly demonstrated that they have no regard for temporal continuity whatsoever nor proper character development. "But Ash has had character development!" No, he had character change. Compared to Pre-4th Generation teams, the dynamics between characters are also stale and flat. And the movies slowly become the same thing: "Do some quest if you don't want Earth/Town X destroyed!" Same plot, different Pokemon.

And it makes sense. Wouldn't you start getting bored after 13 years of making a cartoon that was only intended to advertise games anyways? This show started off as a leg to a cultural phenomenon. The fact this is no longer the case should at least say something.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    You know what doesn't make sense to me?

In one of the movie shorts, Ash tells pikachu:
    This was the day we first met.

^ Implying that it's been a year, hence, he's 11 years old.

However, around a decade later, they still insist that he's 10.

Offtopic: Nice Appledash avatar.

TheAC29

A new adventure begins now
    Years
  • I still watch it, although I think the new B/W Pokemon are.... just weird.

Plus, Ash is a freaking numbskull now in the new series. Everything he learned the past 14 years, he seems to have just forgotten.
    Like catching a pokemon without damaging it, pfft I just catch a pokemon instead of damaging it from the start of playing a pokemon game. Well it is anime so catching a pokemon without damaging it in the "game" doesn't count. :9

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    They should make a more mature anime... Yes, I know, Pokémon is aimed for kid but I'm sure that a lot of older fans would watch if they made a better anime.

As much as I share your wishes, Mentalli, I've come to terms that it'll only happen once a blue moon comes by.

and team rocket isn't fun anymore.

What is fun is that they've put an end to all this harassment that they've been doing since the very first episodes. That has been getting old.

Also, I'll add that there's nobody else that's leeching the spotlight away from Ash. That's what kept the D&P series a real drag. Now that there's no-one hogging up his stage, it his show for the taking, just like old times.

I don't know about you, but I believe that the animé has gotten better with the B&W series.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • The anime is not getting worse your just getting older. Its a kids show so most people just grow out of it thinking its getting worse due to having grown up and faced with other things. The thing is they don't expect people after 4 years to keep watching but a new group so its ok to reuse ideas. The same is true for Beyblade,Bakugan,Yugioh etc.
    Expect with the series you mentioned or most of them their protagonists develop, advance, and we see new ones. Whereas pokemon we still have Ash after all the years.

You know what doesn't make sense to me?

In one of the movie shorts, Ash tells pikachu:

^ Implying that it's been a year, hence, he's 11 years old.

However, around a decade later, they still insist that he's 10.

Offtopic: Nice Appledash avatar.
    As AK47 mentioned they as the staff already threw the continuation out the window several times. He progresses then its back to step 1 for him.

I don't see it as the anime getting worse more then it is staying the same. Same stuff happens over and over, which for fans watching for years becomes a bore so the point of watching it lessens. If they added freshness to it, and actually had continuation to Ash and we actually got somewhere near to the goal of Pokemon Master I think fans would be more satisfied. Instead we are subjected to a guy that has his Pikachu beat a Dragonite, but loses to an Eevee, beats a Regice but ties with an Elekid, ties with a Latios but loses to a Snivy. Pikachu is nerfed and Ash is nerfed honestly who wants to see that over and over again. At some point it is just stale. So instead of it getting progressively worse for the long time fans its getting more stale.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I don't think it is getting way much worse or something, it's actually the same to be honest :\ , only with some tweaks. I don't know if it's this terrible nostalgia that would make people hate the show, but I doubt, I think it's more because of the repetition. We get the exact same cycle, and it gets quite boring. But to be honest, I believe the developers are doing a good job keeping the show balanced. I can't see why people started hating it after 1st/2nd Generation. It still went on great and sometimes better.

The reason I don't agree with most people in change of the anime is that I believe it is a bit radical. We can't say for sure what restrictions are the developers under, so ideas of changing can rather be of deformation.

Plot-wise, the anime isn't excellent but it's actually the adventure that keeps me watching. A very long adventure still on going for 14 years....it's so grand!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't think it is getting way much worse or something, it's actually the same to be honest :\ , only with some tweaks. I don't know if it's this terrible nostalgia that would make people hate the show, but I doubt, I think it's more because of the repetition. We get the exact same cycle, and it gets quite boring. But to be honest, I believe the developers are doing a good job keeping the show balanced. I can't see why people started hating it after 1st/2nd Generation. It still went on great and sometimes better.

The reason I don't agree with most people in change of the anime is that I believe it is a bit radical. We can't say for sure what restrictions are the developers under, so ideas of changing can rather be of deformation.

Plot-wise, the anime isn't excellent but it's actually the adventure that keeps me watching. A very long adventure still on going for 14 years....it's so grand!

The problem is that Ash is supposed to have a goal, so the writers should have gotten him closer to that goal, and yet given how he acted in the beginning of the BW series (he acted like a complete rookie), it makes his even having a goal pointless. Adventure or not, what's the point of having a goal if they aren't going to accomplish it anyway?

Back