• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Anybody else feel extremely underleveled by the Elite Four?

Years
    Restarted my HeartGold for the first time since I got it, and now, at the Elite Four, I am pretty underleveled (all Pokemon by about 5-7 levels).

Anybody else really have this problem? Or did I just skimp out on training along the way? The wild Pokemon are so low-leveled, it's really quite tedious to just grind up your Pokemon.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Restarted my HeartGold for the first time since I got it, and now, at the Elite Four, I am pretty underleveled (all Pokemon by about 5-7 levels).

Anybody else really have this problem? Or did I just skimp out on training along the way? The wild Pokemon are so low-leveled, it's really quite tedious to just grind up your Pokemon.
    I did in the Sinnoh Elite Fours but not SS/HG. Do you run away from the wild Pokemon battles? Have you explored each caves, surfed every aspect of the water?

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    The exact same thing happens to me. In everygame as well. Even when exploring everywhere it still happens. HG/SS has a major levelling problem with trainers having low level pokemon and then gym leaders and elite four having high levelled pokemon.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I say no because my strategy is evolving only starter. When I enter the league my Pokémon (starter) is between levels 75-85. Then I feel little OP. I battle with every trainer and if I have chance to use Lucky Egg, I will use it. I buy Revival Herbs and Hyper-/Max Potions for league. Then I just try my best.

DualBlade

The Umbreon Lover
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 24, 2013
    I Kinda Didnt underlevel them.

I Kinda Overleveled them.Lol Their too easy.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Despite all my grinding and being several levels ahead of the Gym leaders, I always find myself trailing the Champion's levels by one or two. I think it's because there's a huge jump in levels even within the Elite Four... in Platinum I know it's 49-62 and in HG/SS it's 40-50 I believe, and all the wild Pokemon and trainers right before on Victory Road are lower than the low end of the Elite Four's levels.

Still doesn't matter as I'm close enough to their levels to cream them anyway :P

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    nah i was only 1-2 levels lower than lance's pokes. i just use traded pokes so they would level up faster, haha!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I really didn't have a problem with leveling up because I had a Lucky Egg (carried from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness) so leveling up in Victory Road with level 30 Pokemon didn't bother me as much.

:t354:TG

Thrash

Feebas Führer
    Years
    I was pretty underleveled for the E4, but the Johto E4 isn't too difficult. I know what you mean about the lack of high-leveled Pokes for training after you capped about mid-forties, that seemed to be a major downfall to HGSS to me, but I guess the easy league sorta made up for that. They should've implemented a Vs. Seeker instead of keeping the PokéGear call-for-battles feature, but I guess that's Pokémon for you.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Don't worry about not having very many places to grind. It's perfectly possible to beat the E4 after running from EVERY random battle in the whole game as long as you don't skip a lot of trainers.

Years
    Yea, so just went through the E4, got to Lance (my highest was a lvl44, lowest 37), and he killed me. I think now since my Pokemon are similarly leveled to the E4, it's just a matter of type differences and whether or not I can beat Dragon-types

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    I thought HG/SS was easiest for levels because the E4's levels are so low. In D/P/Pt i was a little under leveled, but I usually don't have that problem.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    A bit underlevelled, yes, but not to the point to being unable to beat the E4, personally. Sometimes I may grind a bit more but I didn't notice this being more of a problem for myself compared to other games.

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
    Years
    Thing about HG/SS, it seems to be the toughest of the new games. I had an easy time in B/W's E4, but HG/SS's E4 were easy up to Karen. My Pokemon were under-level by 2 or 3 levels compared to Will, Koga, and Bruno, but easily defeated them with Lugia and Tysplosion. Karen was painful cause I couldn't KO her Howndoom after two turns when it's using Nasty Plot and it will use Dark Pulse and wipe out my whole team. I trained for 2 hours in Victory Road (cause as said earlier, the common Pokemon in VR were weak) and eventually defeated Karen, Lance (IMO) wasn't as tough as Karen cause I had an Ice Pokemon and it took out the Dragonites well, had Amphros to take out Gyrados, and Lugia took care of Charizard and Aerodactyl.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    I have never had this problem, I make it a point to fight every trainer that I come across to get beefy before the big dance at the Pokemon league, especially in my Sinnoh games as it fills the pokedex to get to national mode and saves time in the long run. Platinum has the highest level E4 I think from memory.

Zeus

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    To be honest, no I wasn't undeleveled by the time I got to the Elite 4; in fact my team was at level 55-57 by the time I got there, thanks to the massive amount of grinding I do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    I felt like that on Diamond, where I couldn't get past Aaron (and I was terribly underleveled by the way) but not on HG/SS, I mean, it was fairly easy in my opinion

Back