• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anybody Read These Fantasy Books?

JKLAZ

FireHeart and Kale are Awesome
Years
  • Dragon Keeper Series - Donita K Paul

• Dragonspell
    • DragonKnight
    • DragonQuest
    • DragonFire
    • DragonLight - Havent got that one yet
    The inheritence series - chris paolini

• Eragon
    • Eldest
    • i forgot the one coming outs name
    Warriors series - Erin Hunter

• too many to list (15 or so)
    Ink - Cornelia Funke

• Inkheart
    • Inkspell
    Dragons Keep - My summer reading book. was sorta good, ended abruptly

Henrik

d'oh!
    Years
  • Yeah, I love the Eragon books. They're the best books I've ever read after the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings series. The new one is called Brisingr and will be out in September. Can't wait! :)

JKLAZ

FireHeart and Kale are Awesome
    Years
  • Yeah they were really good. Im gonna pre order that one and get it the day of its release, i cant wait either

Man of Faith

My, my, Doctor Saunders.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    No offense to fans, but I find the Inheritance trilogy horrible. It's all been done before and feels like a giant copyright infringment... :/

But a series I do love:

His Dark Materials

and (I don't know the series name but the first book is...)

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Victoria~

surrender to my s o c k s~
    Years
  • I really enjoyed reading the Inheritance Trilogy. They are quite good books, really nice, although "Eldest" was kinda lame and all ://
    By the way, the third book that's coming out is called "Empire", if I recall...

But a series I do love:

His Dark Materials
    Awesome. Totally. I spent my winter break last year just reading those books..
    Didn't like the movie so much, though

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I really enjoyed reading the Inheritance Trilogy. They are quite good books, really nice, although "Eldest" was kinda lame and all ://
    By the way, the third book that's coming out is called "Empire", if I recall...
    The new book is called Brisingr.

I couldn't get through the Inheritance Quartet, but I really don't want to start an argument here by saying why. So I'll just say "didn't read".

I have read another fantasy series called DragonLance. I prefer it over either LOTR or TIQ. And I started to read His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass, the first book of the series, but I really wanted to read my favorite book series by my favorite author, so I never finished.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • DragonLance is actually not a true fantasy book series, it was actually published by the people who created the popular Role-playing game of the same name... But yeah I actually have the ones by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman... AMAZING AUTHORS!

But I love the Inheritance Quartet, it was this series that got me interested in writing! :D I have also read His Dark Materials, and I found the religious aspects of the series quite interesting, well actually I pretty much like anything that dumps Christianity lol.

Has anyone here read either the Death Gate, DarkSword, or the Rose of the Prophet series' by both Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman? They are amazing stories, and quite original.

Also, some other great Fantasy writers are: Robert Jordan, who's Wheel of Time is one of the greatest series' of all time, Terry Brooks, author of the amazing Shannara and Landover series'; and David Eddings, his works The Belgariad and The Mallorean are amazing!

(Yes I'm a great fan of Fantasy literature...)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    DragonLance is actually not a true fantasy book series, it was actually published by the people who created the popular Role-playing game of the same name... But yeah I actually have the ones by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman... AMAZING AUTHORS!
    What?

They're fantasy novels. Yes, they're based on DnD, which is a fantasy pen-and-paper game. But just because they're based on a game doesn't mean that as novels, DragonLance isn't fantasy. What else would it be categorized as? It has magic, dragons, armor, swords, and the other elements of fantasy writing. They're listed as fantasy novels by publishers and book sellers.

That's close to saying that the books based on Star Trek aren't science fiction, even though Star Trek is a science fiction show.

Seriously, I'm wondering what literary genre you would place DragonLance under.

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Yes I've read the Warrior series and the Inkheart series. Warriors, well I'll start with that first, I think is a really good series because it's kind of like an RPG of some sort. Like, it all focuses on a cat, and then the next one, even though that's the part I don't really like. xD; But I like it because it has this thing tribes have with the ranks and stuff.

Inkheart has to be the best book I've ever read in my life. I just love the way Cornelia Funke writes her words with descriptive detail. I also liked her idea to merge some of the fairy tails together. I really can't wait for the next book to come out, it's going to be amazing I know. =D

As for the rest, no I haven't.

Rogue_Ninja

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • Age 44
    • NY
    • Seen Jul 13, 2010
    No offense to fans, but I find the Inheritance trilogy horrible. It's all been done before and feels like a giant copyright infringment... :/

Even though i do like the books I have to agree with you here. If you want a good fantasy series read The Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazney 10 books but you can get the collection in one for 20.00 or so.

Sanctuary

Member #11,352
    Years
  • Cornelia Funke's books are fantastic! I've read both Inkheart and Inkspell so far, and I enjoyed it a lot. The books are quite descriptive and gives a good image in your mind. The new one should be coming out soon.. I forgot what it was called.
    But the book I enjoyed most was Dragon Rider and also The Thief Lord, since I love the storyline of both of them, it's really imaginative.

I haven't heard of the other books listed except for Eragon, in which I watched the movie adaption.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Despite what many people have said about it, I love the Inheritance series and am highly anticipating the new book, which coincidentally comes out a couple of weeks after my birthday.

Sanctuary said:
    I haven't heard of the other books listed except for Eragon, in which I watched the movie adaption.

Unfortunately, the movie was horrible.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I have read the Inheritance series, and I love them. Not really my style, though, and the idea might be a bit generic.

But a series I do love:

His Dark Materials

I love that series! The Golden Compass is my favorite.

I have read another fantasy series called DragonLance. I prefer it over either LOTR or TIQ.

So do I...I absolutely adore that series! ^^ The original ones are fantastic- Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are the best.

I've also read Inkheart and Inkspell...they were alright, not my favorites though. =/

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • What?

They're fantasy novels. Yes, they're based on DnD, which is a fantasy pen-and-paper game. But just because they're based on a game doesn't mean that as novels, DragonLance isn't fantasy. What else would it be categorized as? It has magic, dragons, armor, swords, and the other elements of fantasy writing. They're listed as fantasy novels by publishers and book sellers.

That's close to saying that the books based on Star Trek aren't science fiction, even though Star Trek is a science fiction show.

Seriously, I'm wondering what literary genre you would place DragonLance under.

lol

I was not in any way denying that they are works of fantasy. The point I was putting across, though perhaps I didn't word it clearly *checks*, nope, I worded it horribly, I see where you are coming from. What I meant was that they are not novels. I'm not denying either their length or their merit as literature, I'm just saying that the word novel, as it relates to literature is an original piece which is longer than a short story. Now, no denying the DragonLance series is much longer that a short story, they still lack in one area, they are not original; as in new ideas and concepts from the authors' mind. I hope any of that made any sense at all...

Back