• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Anyone stayed pure?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • I made it a point to avoid storyline spoilers. I already learned all of the pokemon names and most of the town and NPC names, but in Japanese...so learning their English names will be just as good as learning them fresh. XD

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I made it a point to avoid storyline spoilers. I already learned all of the pokemon names and most of the town and NPC names, but in Japanese...so learning their English names will be just as good as learning them fresh. XD

I've done the same thing. :D I don't know much about the storyline, but I know the names of pokemon and gym leaders/elite four members, I've seen screen shots that were released on the official website, and I know the names of a few locations (thanks to the anime).

Oh, and I've listened to the soundtrack.

And that's pretty much everything I know.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm not pure....but I'm not completely spoiled either...

I know all the pokemon and I have a fairly good understanding of the first two/three towns. However my understanding of the Team Plasma storyline is vague at best. There's a lot of locations I don't know anything about and some towns/cities I've only seen one picture of.

I think I did pretty well considering how bad I am at keeping things unspoiled.

I'm ok at keeping spoilers away even by coming to this forum, I usually try to steer clear of the character discussions since they're usually filled with storyline spoilers.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I have checked all the pokemon, the names, the gyms, badges, E4. However I have not checked out the Dream World in detail, I dont care much about soundtracks and I only know what about 10% of Unova looks like, from screen shots of gyms and bridges, and I have also avoided the story line of Team Galactic threads. I don't really want to know that until I play.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I kept my BW virginity til the Japanese release, since I imported White. So I served my time as being pure. Good luck everyone else. :D It's totally worth it.

Years
  • I looked at all the spoilers as soon as they were available. You don't have to keep your "B/W virginity" ololol, in order to fully enjoy the game. I know almost everything about the games, and I'll still love it when I walk into gamestop in 2 week to pick it up. n___n

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    I have already played until the 4th badge, don't really care about spoiling stuff its not like Pokémon has a deep, intriguing story anyways. And preparing your team on beforehand is one of the things I enjoy the most. xD

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I've looked through all of the pokemon, but that's it. I haven't looked at maps or features or anything.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • It's impossible in this day and age to remain totally spoiler-free, but I've tried as hard as I can. I've seen a lot of the Pokemon and I've looked at the map and a few screenshots, and I know all about the starters, but that's it. I only know one thing about the storyline.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I looked at the Pokemon's names, moves and and designs, gameplay features and bits of the storyline, making me a tad spoiled in a way.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I've kept myself from the storyline details, game details, features, screen shots - other than what was shown in trailers - and everything in specific about the games. My goal for this generation was trying to keep it fresh, so when I played it, I wouldn't know what to expect.

As far as the Pokémon go, I've seen them all. Being on the forum online, it's kind of hard to try and avoid them as people are using them in their themes, profiles, or somewhere where it can be easily seen. Plus, the temptation to not see what they all look like was just too difficult to resist. I can say though that if you call out their name, I probably won't know who you're referring to; pardon a few.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • I'm pure on the storyline, region, most characters and their purposes, and I haven't played it yet. I am not pure when it comes to Pokemon and their names. I know the names of some of the cities/places, but I don't have a clue as to their locations or appearances. I'm curious to see Icirrus Moor.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I try to avoid as many of the spoilers as I can. I still haven't looked at all of the new Pokémon (though I've definitely seen quite a few), know almost nothing about the storyline, and I know virtually nothing about the region (aside from the map of the region). Since I've read the game was intended on recreating a similar experience to Red and Blue (or Green), I've decided to allow myself the same amount of exposure as I did way back when I first picked up Blue version.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I haven't really been paying attention to pokemon lately, so that meant no exposure to black and white whatsoever. I just saw the entire pokedex about two weeks ago, and found out the release date. Man it's coming up so fast. I don't know why but this seems like the fastest any pokemon game has come out to me....Or maybe this year, as opposed to 2007 and gen four's release, is going by faster!
    I kept my BW virginity til the Japanese release, since I imported White. So I served my time as being pure. Good luck everyone else. :D It's totally worth it.
    I know which is why I'm waiting! :D

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I've played Pokémon White, but I stopped after a short while and ever since then, I haven't looked at the list of new Pokémon Names, Gym Types, Alot of the Soundtracks ect. so kind of.

I know a bunch of the new Pokemon's sprites as well as some Japanese and English names. I had the names of a few Gym Leaders, two E4 members, and the Champion spoiled for me, and a bunch of the sprites (player character, N, Gym Leader, Elite 4) spoiled as well. I know about 5 of the Gym specialties and one of the E4 specialties. I've only gleaned screenshots through one of the English trailers and via Serebii, PokeBeach, and Bulbapedia move articles.

I've avoided the storyline for the most part... Unfortunately, by viewing a YouTube vid pertaining to earlier games -_-, I had two major parts about N spoiled for me. T_T I've completely stayed away from hearing the BW soundtrack, thank goodness.

I've spoiled myself through & through. I said to myself I wouldn't but I did V_V

This. Not thoroughly, but way more than I intended to.

is this something I'm gonna regret? Was it really worth it? Was it a good idea to spoil myself as opposed to waiting for the English release?
    Yes.

Unfortunately, you may be right. T_T

I do plan to just kind of hide from the informational sites and stuff once the new 3DS Pokemon game is announced, I'll just ask someone the release date and head down to the store that day and be surprised by what I find.

Well, that's the plan, but it probably won't work.. :p

I wish I could do that with all games - as in, the only info I know about the game prior to release is the title, the pre-release, and the premise (to an extent). Ideally, I wish game companies didn't reveal anything until the games are actually produced/shipped out, but modern demand and certain annoying insatiable fans who wants things yesterday tend to cause excessive early release of game info. People who leak stuff from the games (via being a developer or game tester) are no good in resolving the matter either - why can't they just let us wait in peace?!

And I don't quite understand the mindset of leakers and spoiler-people... "Getting told" info is way worse than discovering it for oneself. If I were to describe a portion of Stars Wars as:

Spoiler:

...the experience is bland. What reason do I have to enjoy the movie as one of the main plot points has been spoiled? (Btw, I've only seen portions of one Star Wars movie, and the plot point spoilered above was spoiled for me years ago (not "very long ago", but in recent years). :()

If I wanted to avoid any sort of spoilers, I would have stayed off the Internet entirely.

That's a definite option (and the main reason for why no one, including myself, can't really say that 'it's not their fault for getting spoiled', because we do have options of avoiding prerelease info), but it's kind of unfeasible, especially if you just want to talk about earlier games. Even restricting yourself to the earlier games is a problem, because some user might blab about the most recent iteration on the older YouTube vids, and people use the new Pokemon's sprites in avatars, signatures, and profile pics. Personally, I don't think one should have to avoid an entire medium just to avert game spoilers.

There's some really nice air about just being shoved with all-new species in the game to which you have zero idea of how to evolve, or the moves they're going to learn, or how you should simply train them.

That's the joy I experienced with Sapphire Version, and I wish I could replicate it with BW...

It's impossible in this day and age to remain totally spoiler-free, but I've tried as hard as I can.

Darn Internet age...

My goal for this generation was trying to keep it fresh, so when I played it, I wouldn't know what to expect.

Since I've read the game was intended on recreating a similar experience to Red and Blue (or Green), I've decided to allow myself the same amount of exposure as I did way back when I first picked up Blue version.

These posts address my goal exactly. Since the game was touted as a "Pokemon rebirth" and attempts to emulate the original Red and Blue/Green (FR/LG to an extent) in various aspects, I was preparing to discover Unova via a fresh start, sans spoilers. One major drawback of the Internet is the nearly-constant exposure to people who dig for the tiniest morsels of news, or people who unearth leaked tidbits and wish to share them with everyone.

Ugh...back when I first played Sapphire Version, I didn't have to worry about leaks, spoilers, the "Japanese version of Pokemon", etc. All I had was a dark blue cartridge brimming with potential while sporting a whale as its mascot :t382:, and I feel that it's one of my most cherished videogaming experiences.

And I want to yell at other forum websites which skimp out on/don't implement the spoiler function - the lack of a spoiler feature on one certain website is essentially the main reason for why I got the Gym Leader names spoiled... Thanks for implementing the spoiler function here, PokeCommunity webmasters - it is much appreciated.

Most likely, I'll attempt avoiding info on the next main series Pokemon game...

I actually intended to only get exposed to Zoroark, the first-revealed Pokemon of Unova, since he was "the first". I planned to completely avoid BW spoilers until the English release.
    How miserably I have failed. :cer_cry: (then again, I kind of have Forever and Kaori to thank, since they've made such an awesome and intriguing subforum with their scavenger hunts and holiday events and such that roped me into this forum. And now I hear that another event is being planned... Well, keep up the great work, BW mods. :cer_nod:

Simultaneous worldwide release(s), Nintendo! PLEASE make it happen!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    ^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. I sort of agree with you that game developers should keep quiet on the games; however, some people really can't wait for the games to come out, thus cherish spoilers, leaks, etc. I mean I like them too, but at the same time I don't want to learn too much about the games before I actually have them in hand.

Speaking of which do any of you plan on getting the strategy guide or will you go through on your own? I more than likely won't get it, and that's mainly due to the reason of me being cheap and not wanting to fork over an extra $20 bucks. Also, we're blessed with the internet nowadays. No need to be killing trees with guides.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    I guess many of us have been tainted by the splendors of the new games, I have no clue of this N guy, all I know he has green hair, and is a king or something, I saw a trailer on a website, besides that I know about white forest and black city, and the starters, which i'm not too keen on. Yet :P
    Hopefully, the game lives up to it's 10/10 ratings!

Back