• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Anyone stayed pure?

pockeyfox

Grand Trainer
Years
  • All I have seen from the new games are the commercials, and my curiosity leading me to search the internet for info on the main legendaries.

So I know relatively nothing.

Years
  • Stay pure? Too bad, it's not possible for someone like me. I think I went in and played Pokemon: Black the day it came out.

Even if I hadn't done so, I think it would have been really difficult to completely avoid spoilers. They somehow come up in conversations or one might have the temptation to look at a few screen-shots at least. ;;

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I tried out the Japanese version of Pokemon Black and it was something that's worth waiting for. I only played through the first gym leader as if I was playing a demo. I'd rather wait to play it all-through once I get my English copy of Pokemon White. I did get to see the Gym Leader information and some screenshots of the game, though.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • If not knowing anything about the games is staying pure, then i'm very impure. I know basically everything that has been leaked, released, whatever.

This is the first generation I even knew existed before the games were already out. Until DPP I was little and payed no attention to the future, so this is the first time i've been 'impure' on a new generation.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I guess many of us have been tainted by the splendors of the new games, I have no clue of this N guy, all I know he has green hair, and is a king or something, I saw a trailer on a website, besides that I know about white forest and black city, and the starters, which i'm not too keen on. Yet :P
    Hopefully, the game lives up to it's 10/10 ratings!
    I think it will. The people who didn't stay pure probably can attest to that, I'm sure. ;)
    I looked at all the new Pokemon and the Gym Leaders. That's about it. I'd never play it until it came out in English though. I honestly don't see why anyone would? :/
    I could never play them before they came out in English. Well that is unless I learn Japanese someday. I remember when diamond and pearl came out, I had a Japanese neighbor and I'd always watch him play diamond. But the thing is, even though I was more exposed to gen 4 than I am gen 5 before its release date, it was more thrilling to play the games in English than in Japanese.

Camara

Forgettable Trainer
    Years
  • I've just seen the pokemons and movepools as well as the anime.

As for other ingame things (gymn teams, trainers, roads, TM locations, pokémon locations, etc) I have not seek them to have fun discovering when I play it.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • I wanted to avoid all spoilers possible, because I wanted the game to be completely new upon my first play through. The way Sapphire was the first time I played it. But I was younger when I got Sapphire, and didn't have access to the internet. With the internet, it was hard not to look up spoilers. I took a few peeks at the games. I peeked at the site, looking at some of the features and I went to Serebii and peeked at the Pokemon. Mostly I wanted to plan my team. Or, rather, that's what I told myself. Of course, after I already picked my six, I kept looking, anyway. I've tried to refrain from looking at other spoilers. I've done good so far. But... it's been tough. u_u

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • ^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. I sort of agree with you that game developers should keep quiet on the games; however, some people really can't wait for the games to come out, thus cherish spoilers, leaks, etc. I mean I like them too, but at the same time I don't want to learn too much about the games before I actually have them in hand.

Speaking of which do any of you plan on getting the strategy guide or will you go through on your own? I more than likely won't get it, and that's mainly due to the reason of me being cheap and not wanting to fork over an extra $20 bucks. Also, we're blessed with the internet nowadays. No need to be killing trees with guides.

I wanted to avoid all spoilers possible, because I wanted the game to be completely new upon my first play through. The way Sapphire was the first time I played it. But I was younger when I got Sapphire, and didn't have access to the internet. With the internet, it was hard not to look up spoilers.

This. Regarding Sapphire Version, I can relate to essentially the exact same experience. I remember deriding the RS commercials as I hadn't grown out of being anti-Pokemon upon their release. But eventually I took a liking to Pokemon again and jumped into it in as Generation 3 had already been underway for some time. Basically spoiler-free, with new discoveries around the bend.
    At the time I almost went ballistic anytime someone brought a Ruby/Sapphire player's guide to school, because it had tons of interesting tidbits and had the detailed movesets of all of RS's available Pokemon (sans Jirachi and Deoxys, IIRC) - something I almost take for granted now due to the Internet being more modern and accessible, as well as Bulbapedia, Veekun, and Smogon having extensive movesets and breeding lines. As PiPVoda said, no point in wasting trees and money when the content of guides can easily be featured online in this day and age.

LOL...I remember when Deoxys actually seemed like a "never-before-seen Pokemon" on Pokemon.com, because at the time of its release I was unfamiliar with the practice of "extracting (hidden) data from ROMs". And now here I am, knowing every single normally-accesible and event Pokemon of Generations 4 and 5, both of which I haven't even played yet. :cer_cry:

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I've tried not to spoil it, but I have looked up all the new Pokemon, and I've watched videos and I practically know the whole storyline. So I completely spoiled it. I have weak resistance when it comes to bread, videogames, and shiny things.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I've looked at some of the new Pokemon and moves and sort of pre-planned a team out based on what I've seen. Other than that I didn't look at any of the storyline, videos, screenshots, etc. So basically I've stayed pure except for the Pokemon. I'm excited to play it without knowing anything.

Nameless.

Though I knew a lot about the game as a whole, I really wasn't all that spoiled. I knew all the Pokemon, their general locations, bits and pieces of the storyline, and how some of the areas looked. But somehow, Black and White kept that surprise effect, so I wasn't really bored or anything when I played through it. :3 Now, that is a first!

I guess you could say I stayed about half-pure, just because the information delivered online wasn't all that spoiler-rific until after the games were out. By then, I knew most of the stuff. XD;

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
  • I've naturally looked at the new pokemon, mostly Dragon, Steel, or Dark in type. I can safely say I am still in the dark for about 70% of them.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I tried so hard to avoid it and was successful for 4 months avoiding it completely, then one day I got so curious that I couldn't help but play both versions and now I've pretty much seen everything in the game. God I have no discipline, lol

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • I've only seen a few spoilers so far, and idk if they even count as spoilers.
    I took a few looks at the list of Pokemon so I could see which ones were cute/cool and which were ugly.

Oh, and I watched one episode of Black and White on that Saturday when I woke up early for some reason as it was coming on. It was the episode with all of the Meguroko (I think that's it's name. The sand crocodile thing.)

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • I've checked out the Pokemon, and news on some of the features, and I ended up reading about the gym leaders types, but not their actual Pokemon. I'm still mostly in the dark, with the exception of English names of locations, and 60% of the Pokemon.

Back