• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Arceus wins the Global Link Vote, much to the disappointment of PC members

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    On the UK website it's updated, but not the US one for some reason. The winner is...

Arceus wins the Global Link Vote, much to the disappointment of PC members

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I am going to cry now...

I am actually really disappointed about this, Arceus is one of the Pokémon I didn't want (I would have rather have any not yet released ability Pokémon or even a certain legendary Pokémon that a certain friend wanted because it would make them happy. I already have like 4 of them, I do not need another that is exactly like my japanese Dream World one, but with an english name.

My mini rant is over now.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    And... There goes the neighborhood... I was hoping for anyone other than Arceus! I already have one anyway.

Ugh... Even Mudkip would have been better. I would have loved for Ditto to win! Therefor, I'm not getting this one unless he gets an in game event or something. But that is not happening.

My rant is over.

P.S. It updated on the U.S. site now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Right so did you guys expect something more out of what was essentially a Pokémon popularity poll for the whole fanbase?

If it weren't for the Gen V Pokémon not being able to be distributed over the Dream World I'm sure it would've probably been something new and popular from there, too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Ugh...I am so disappointed. I don't think most of the voters for Arceus realized that Arceus doesn't have a DW ability.

ManaphyLv100

Legendary Ranger
    Years
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Game Freak is Steel-type (GF used Troll! Smogon was trolled! Smogon used Outrage! It's not very effective...)

I am beginning to agree with the people who think the poll was rigged. Still... 645/649 now! Or it will be come February.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yes I'm totally sure that Nintendo / TPC / whomever operates the Pokémon website put all their effort into rigging a popularity poll to choose a character in a children's video game.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    I don't mid that much about it being Arceus. I don't have one yet and it will be pretty cool having one. But I would have prefered a pokemon with a dream world ability not released. I voted for Celebi but after I voted released my mistake.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Game Freak is Steel-type (GF used Troll! Smogon was trolled! Smogon used Outrage! It's not very effective...)

lol.

This is so disappointing, Celebi deserved to win (or Ditto lool) :( Whatever, next time I'm just going to not vote if they have anymore votes, because it's not like it makes any difference tbh, considering how much I DID vote for Celebi and how much OTHERS voted for Ditto.

Editing title time, how sad.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I don't think that Arceus winning this vote isn't all that bad. I don't have a legit Arceus, seeing that Gamefreak has never even released an event for the Azure Flute (outside of Japan,) & I never went to TRU to get the event over there.

My only let-down about this is that its level will be maxed, so EV training it is going to be impossible...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think that Arceus winning this vote isn't all that bad. I don't have a legit Arceus, seeing that Gamefreak has never even released an event for the Azure Flute (outside of Japan,) & I never went to TRU to get the event over there.

My only let-down about this is that its level will be maxed, so EV training it is going to be impossible...

Nah I'm pretty sure that in BW you can EV train at level 100, or at least I recall that being mentioned in Quick Questions.

Either way! Still think it's rigged etc, or what the people on Smogon are saying, since some of those theories do make sense, lol.

Pingouin_7

Why are you guys acting like you're more important somehow?
    No, you aren't more important than the other fans. No, you weren't entitled to a special ability Ditto/whatever (even though it would have been nice)
    The poll showed that the majority of the fanbase wanted Arceus more. Heck, it beat Mudkip. Instead of complaining, how about you at least act like you're happy for those who weren't able to obtain a legit Arceus in Gen IV?
    I voted for Arceus because this was my only opportunity of getting a legit English Arceus by myself without any kind of third-party intervention. You voted for Ditto because you felt that its Hidden Ability gave it a good advantage.
    Why should your opinion be considered more important than other people's opinion?
    Last but not least, the only Pokémon who deserved to win, according to the poll, is the one to get the more votes.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years

1: You CAN EV train a level 100 pokémon in Gen V.
    2: It's a legendary. That means EV training it would be pointless, because many people would refuse to fight you using it anyway.

Honestly however, with Arceus being so hard to get, I do like that he's actually obtainable now - I would never use it as a team ember, but it'll be more pokédex data to me that I don't have to transfer in from Gen IV(Since I can't ATM without doing a huge trading routine with my friend).

And thank goodness it wasn't Mudkip... The Internet ruined poor Mudkip.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years
    Although I think the phrasing was a bit belligerent, I feel like Pingouin 7 spits the truth. I mean, I wanted a Froslass terribadly due to the fact that it would always be female (and useful for future breeding, giving me access to both Moody Glalie and Cursed Body Froslass) and felt that anyone not voting for a female-only Pokemon was making an awful decision. But it doesn't matter. A democracy isn't the most righteous form of government, nor is it the most sensible, most efficient, or wisest. The majority gets the vote and, for all intents and purposes, this is the way it should be.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to future Vote to Befriend events being individual rather than communal.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Why are you guys acting like you're more important somehow?
    No, you aren't more important than the other fans. No, you weren't entitled to a special ability Ditto/whatever (even though it would have been nice)
    The poll showed that the majority of the fanbase wanted Arceus more. Heck, it beat Mudkip. Instead of complaining, how about you at least act like you're happy for those who weren't able to obtain a legit Arceus in Gen IV?
    I voted for Arceus because this was my only opportunity of getting a legit English Arceus by myself without any kind of third-party intervention. You voted for Ditto because you felt that its Hidden Ability gave it a good advantage.
    Why should your opinion be considered more important than other people's opinion?
    Last but not least, the only Pokémon who deserved to win, according to the poll, is the one to get the more votes.

This.

I know not everybody that posted after the announcement were like this, but some comments were really immature to read. I mean... You're not always going to have results that favor your opinion (and sometimes you will). Some people in this forum really need to grow up. (I didn't pick Arceus by the way)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well let's put it into perspective, consider the max Ditto spam votes of around 24 million with that way of voting, consider the people who put in the extra effort, so you'd get maybe 26 million? I dunno. Consider Black and White's total sales, while that isn't actually announced, I'd like to think it's around 30 million by now (when you think of Diamond/Pearl at least and take into consideration about time periods etc), and when you think about the amount of young children that use the Internet that have no clue of these things (let's keep in mind most of PC's 10/11/12 year olds actually are quite smart and 99% sure they wouldn't vote for Arceus), and the fact that the little kids would only vote ONCE, that'd leave Arceus at around 10 million max, imo.

It just really does not add up, and what makes it worse is that there are no official figures so we can't technically "question" it. As far as we know too, all the spam votes counted because of Mudkip's big jump, so really.

If it were something like Deoxys, Jirachi, etc, I wouldn't really question it IF they weren't leading from the start. It's just suspicious tbh.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Well let's put it into perspective, consider the max Ditto spam votes of around 24 million with that way of voting, consider the people who put in the extra effort, so you'd get maybe 26 million? I dunno. Consider Black and White's total sales, while that isn't actually announced, I'd like to think it's around 30 million by now (when you think of Diamond/Pearl at least and take into consideration about time periods etc), and when you think about the amount of young children that use the Internet that have no clue of these things (let's keep in mind most of PC's 10/11/12 year olds actually are quite smart and 99% sure they wouldn't vote for Arceus), and the fact that the little kids would only vote ONCE, that'd leave Arceus at around 10 million max, imo.

It just really does not add up, and what makes it worse is that there are no official figures so we can't technically "question" it. As far as we know too, all the spam votes counted because of Mudkip's big jump, so really.

If it were something like Deoxys, Jirachi, etc, I wouldn't really question it IF they weren't leading from the start. It's just suspicious tbh.

Yeah, the 24 million number was just the amount that told the guy behind it all that they were voting, so there's even more that probably didn't tell him at all and just voted. And the script, if you run it most of the day, can get you about 1mil votes a day. If even 10 people were running the Mudkip script for 2 days, they would have a ridiculous number of votes...yet they still didn't beat Arceus. Therefore some people must have been spamming for Arceus as well (very quietly since it didn't make it to here, serebii, or bmgf), or they just were setting Arceus there. Idk.

Although the script doesn't have anything that proxies it afaik, so if they just took out all the same-IP votes it might have been effective in getting rid of the tons of spams.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Someone also brought up a good point - Pikachu. The much-loved Pokemon mascot, and fan favourite only made it to the end of top 10. Somehow I think that the "God" Pokemon (pretty sure outside of competitive/communities like this, people wouldn't know the extent of Arceus' power in general and would instead just be voting for a Pokemon that can change forms and has a movie - say hello to Deoxys which only came around 5th!) that has only been around for years beating Pikachu which has been around forever is idk surprising. I mean sure there were Ash's Pikachu giveaways but logically if I were a little kid I'd be voting for Pikachu just because of all the advertising etc.

Back