• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Now this is interesting... I'm trying out a new system that allows you to let a pokemon follow you. Now I'm using a new script that stores the species number in a variable. I'm also using a series of switches that rely on the species. If the species returns true, then the switch specified(one of 493) turns on. Now I don't know what happened, but everything is set up perfectly, but the switch is not turning on. The variables are reading right, and the scripts are going good, but no switches. What might be the problem?
    I think the first problem is that we don't know what this "new system" is like. Do you really expect us to be able to help you with something we need to look at and analyse when we can't see it? Okay, you may not want to reveal your secrets, but what you've described is easy to do, so you might as well reveal the part of your script that changes which switch is on depending on the number.

My vague guess is that there's either an error in the code, or that you're not actually running it over and over to make sure the switches are up to date. Both are stupid mistakes, yes, but we can't offer anything better if we don't know what's going on.

As an aside, are the nearly 500 switches really necessary? One variable can have the same result (since it can store any of those numbers), with much less mess. In fact, you're already doing this, so why bother with the switches?

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    When I playtest my game this error shows up :

"Script 'Audio' line 136: NoMethodError occured.
    undefined method `getPlayMusic' for Kernel:Module"

Any help?

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Okay, I got the audio problem fixed...now I have another problem, when I try to use the editor this error shows up:

Script 'RTPandRegistry' line 423: SyntaxError occurred

Help?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    For everybody with the RTPAndRegistry error:

It was missed out in the last update. Download the following txt file. It includes the code and tells you how to include it.

Luke128th

These days shall pass...
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    I think the first problem is that we don't know what this "new system" is like. Do you really expect us to be able to help you with something we need to look at and analyse when we can't see it? Okay, you may not want to reveal your secrets, but what you've described is easy to do, so you might as well reveal the part of your script that changes which switch is on depending on the number.

My vague guess is that there's either an error in the code, or that you're not actually running it over and over to make sure the switches are up to date. Both are stupid mistakes, yes, but we can't offer anything better if we don't know what's going on.

As an aside, are the nearly 500 switches really necessary? One variable can have the same result (since it can store any of those numbers), with much less mess. In fact, you're already doing this, so why bother with the switches?

Then allow me to elaborate. I added a script in PokemonUtilites to call a variable in the line 1082, after nameVarNumber. The script, specVarNumber, stores the species number in a variable, say 47, then I added a script to line 1098, $game_variables[specVarNumber]=$Trainer.party[chosen].species. I thought this would gather the species number. Then I used the script pbChoosePokemon(Var1,Var2,Var3), where Var1=Party number, Var2=Name, and Var3=Species Number, all in a conditional branch. After that I used the dependency script, yada yada... After the dependency script, and you choose the pokemon in the selection screen, I used a series of switches that turned on according to the variable stored in specVarNumber. If the switch turned on, the Pokemon you chose would appear behind you. This worked for a day, and I didn't change anything with the scripts, switches, or Variables after I opened the project the next day, but none of the switches turned on. What is the problem with this?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    I just downloaded another copy of Pokestarter, did what I said in the txt and it worked. Don't understand why it doesn't for you. You did type the script name correctly and paste in all the lines of code (530) right?

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
    Does anyone know what script line it is to change the position of the fightbox to a higher co-ordinate?

Thanks to anyone who says so.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    Sorry to bug people if this has already been asked - even my attention span can't take over 5000 pages...

Anyway, I'd like to know how to script it so that all Pokémon have a certain pose that they use only during battle, while they use the normal sprites when you look at them in the pokedex or your party - everywhere other than battle.

It's probably fairly simple, but I could be wrong and it's really complicated.

What I mean is that instead of four sprites, each Pokémon would have eight - 000, 000b, 000s, 000sb; then 000f, 000fb, 000fs, and 000fsb - the ones with f being in-battle sprites, and the others the ones you'd see everywhere else.

I want to give the impression that the Pokémon are fierce durng battle, but calm towards the trainer.

Can anybody help with this?

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    Along with the editor problem, I have another question. It is probably a simple question to answer but, where do I put the text from the folder. It says in the control panel ad I have no idea where that is. If I don't solve this, the text in battle will be to long. Could someone help me? Thanks.

Please ignore the text question since I figured it out. I fell stupid for asking it now since it was easy.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Sorry to bug people if this has already been asked - even my attention span can't take over 5000 pages...

Anyway, I'd like to know how to script it so that all Pokémon have a certain pose that they use only during battle, while they use the normal sprites when you look at them in the pokedex or your party - everywhere other than battle.

It's probably fairly simple, but I could be wrong and it's really complicated.

What I mean is that instead of four sprites, each Pokémon would have eight - 000, 000b, 000s, 000sb; then 000f, 000fb, 000fs, and 000fsb - the ones with f being in-battle sprites, and the others the ones you'd see everywhere else.

I want to give the impression that the Pokémon are fierce durng battle, but calm towards the trainer.

Can anybody help with this?
    This is certainly possible, yes, and quite simple. The way I'd do it is copy the def that loads the relevant sprite ("pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies" in PokemonUtilities), rename it and reference that wherever it should appear in the PokeBattle_ActualScene section (i.e. during battle). Then edit the copied def and add in the "f" to the filenames.

I answered a very similar question yeaterday/today about alternate forms (specifically Giratina) that was asked in the wrong thread (the Help and Resources one), which may have more information for you to consider.

Note that PokeBattle_ActualScene calls "pbLoadPokemonBitmap" rather than "pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies". The called def is 1 line long (as you can see), and the easiest solution is to copy that and rename it as well, and then change the four calls to it in ActualScene to "pbLoadPokemonBitmapBattle", which then calls "pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpeciesBattle" (or whatever you called the copied defs).

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    Okay, thanks for the help. When I'm not busy I'll try it out and see what I can do.

EDIT: I've tried it out; it's going to work, all I have to do is finish getting the temporary sprites named and in place. Thank you again!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Any help on the editor error?? This is really affecting my game.
    If it isn't working all I can suggest is downloading Pokestarter again then adding the script. I had a problem with an older version that wouldn't do any scripts or events I added or any changes to the PBS txt files. It was solved by a fresh download.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back