• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2009
    I get an error while trying to run the game :embarrass
    I just downloaded it and it gives me this error:

Script 'Audio' line 136: NoMethodError occurred.
    undefined method `getPlayMusic for Kernel:Module

this is line 136:
    Code:
    volume=0 if !getPlayMusic()

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2014
    ShadowLucario: Simply edit the sprites in the Graphics/Battlers folder. If you're looking for a spriter, try asking in the Help and Requests thread.

Klofkac: There is already a roaming system in the starter kit. Look at the PokemonRoaming script section. Also, your event does not actually make a roaming system - it just adds a rare wild encounter, with optional event commands happening before and after.
    well how do i enable it wichu i have been trying but just cant seem to get it working?

The Smell

Doof-Man
    Years
    Alright, so I'm trying to create a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon style game with the Pokémon battle system. Obviously the first thing I'll need to do is "skip" having the trainer backsprite and just have the first Pokémon in the party. Is this possible?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Then allow me to elaborate. I added a script in PokemonUtilites to call a variable in the line 1082, after nameVarNumber. The script, specVarNumber, stores the species number in a variable, say 47, then I added a script to line 1098, $game_variables[specVarNumber]=$Trainer.party[chosen].species. I thought this would gather the species number. Then I used the script pbChoosePokemon(Var1,Var2,Var3), where Var1=Party number, Var2=Name, and Var3=Species Number, all in a conditional branch. After that I used the dependency script, yada yada... After the dependency script, and you choose the pokemon in the selection screen, I used a series of switches that turned on according to the variable stored in specVarNumber. If the switch turned on, the Pokemon you chose would appear behind you. This worked for a day, and I didn't change anything with the scripts, switches, or Variables after I opened the project the next day, but none of the switches turned on. What is the problem with this?
    I really don't know. I got lost in that description, I don't know anything about dependencies, and still not seeing the code itself doesn't help. Frankly, I can't help you here. Sorry.

I created roaming system.

COMMON EVENT - Parralell - Condition: (switch 1)
    Script:
    Code:
    @>Control variables: (variable 1) = random No. (0...999) //Random number for match
    @>Label: Roam
    @>Conditional branch: Script: $game_player.Moving? //Only if player is moving
      @>Control variables: (variable 2) = random No. (0.999) //random number
      @>Control variables: (variable 3) = Player's Terrain Tag
      @>Conditional branch: Variable (variable 2) == 2 //Cheks player if (s)he is in grass
        @>Conditional branch: Variable (variable 3) == Variable (variable 1) //Check variables match and then...
          (your code as text, cry, etc... before battle)
          @>Script: pbWildBattle(
          @>:     : ::PBSpecies::(species),(level),0,(true, if can flee))
          (your code as text, cry, etc... after battle)
          @>Control swirches: (switch 1) = OFF
          @>
         : Branch end
        @>
      @>
    @>Wait: 1 Frame(s)
    @>Jump to label: Roam
    @>
    You can use any number instead of 999. More number is less chance for encounter, and respectively.
    Please comment and rate.
    Video coming soon.
    Roaming. As mentioned, there's already a roaming system in the game.

Go into PokemonRoaming, and look at the very top of that section. There are two arrays there: RoamingAreas and RoamingSpecies. There are also examples there of how they work. It should be easy enough to set it up.

One option associated with RoamingSpecies is a switch number. If it's on, then that pokémon is roaming. You turn the switch on yourself somewhere in the game.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    If it isn't working all I can suggest is downloading Pokestarter again then adding the script. I had a problem with an older version that wouldn't do any scripts or events I added or any changes to the PBS txt files. It was solved by a fresh download.

I did exactly what you just said, and it still didn't work.

Years
    Poké Radar troubles

Every time I try to use the Poké Radar, it says, "Can't use that here.", even when I'm clearly on grass. Can someone please help me with this?

videogamemaster

Ultimate Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2009
    So any help with my last post? I really have no idea why the attack doesn't make the sound that I set for it...

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2011
    I get an error while trying to run the game :embarrass
    I just downloaded it and it gives me this error:

Script 'Audio' line 136: NoMethodError occurred.
    undefined method `getPlayMusic for Kernel:Module

this is line 136:
    Code:
    volume=0 if !getPlayMusic()
    I'm having the same problem, to expand your knowledge on the error a bit more:

Exception: NoMethodError
    Audio:136:in `Audio_bgm_play'
    Audio:303:in `bgm_play'
    Game_System:37:in `audioBgmPlay'
    Game_System:58:in `bgm_play_ex'
    Game_System:71:in `bgm_play'
    Interpreter:1486:in `command_241'
    Interpreter:414:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'

Would I be right in assuming that there are two other scripts involved in breaking the latest version of this wonderful set of files?

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
    LOL, I had never tested the evolution script, but... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I LOL'd. That script is too funny!! I dunno if this spoils everything to the ones that haven't used that thing yet, but it's very funny to see that your evolving pokémon's sprite begins to do spins on its own axis and the speed increases gradually, then the sprite changes to its evolution and the speed begins to slown down smoothly. I was testing some issues of my game when i decided to use a Rare Candy on my Mankey. Hahahaha, it was so funny for me, I have to say that this is a very original way to show how a pokémon evolves.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I don't think poccil wanted to code the standard evolution animation, as it's pretty complicated. His version is pretty cool, though :P

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    Thevolution is cool, there is just one problem. When I evolve a pokemon it says
    'Script is taking to long' then restarts. Does anyone know how to solve this?

When I use the pokedex I get this error:
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Message: undefined method `rect' for #<AnimatedBitmap:0x750e690>
    PokemonPokedex:568:in `pbChangeToDexEntry'
    PokemonPokedex:603:in `pbDexEntry'
    PokemonPokedex:830:in `pbPokedex'
    PokemonPokedex:810:in `loop'
    PokemonPokedex:849:in `pbPokedex'
    PokemonPokedex:874:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    PokemonMenu:142:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:139:in `loop'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Could someone please help me.

Last edited:

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Thevolution is cool, there is just one problem. When I evolve a pokemon it says
    'Script is taking to long' then restarts. Does anyone know how to solve this?

When I use the pokedex I get this error:
    Pokemon Essentials
    Message: undefined method `rect' for #<AnimatedBitmap:0x750e690>
    PokemonPokedex:568:in `pbChangeToDexEntry'
    PokemonPokedex:603:in `pbDexEntry'
    PokemonPokedex:830:in `pbPokedex'
    PokemonPokedex:810:in `loop'
    PokemonPokedex:849:in `pbPokedex'
    PokemonPokedex:874:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonMenu:145:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:142:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    PokemonMenu:142:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:139:in `loop'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Could someone please help me.

Yeah I get that same error.

And I also get the error when I try to use the editor. Help Pleease?

EDIT: Oh, I just figured out I could use the "DEBUG" option to edit trainers. When I do that, I get this error:

Message: undefined method `setBitmap' for #<SpriteWrapper:0x3f26950>
    PokemonEditor:1084:in `refresh'
    PokemonEditor:879:in `pbListScreenBlock'
    PokemonEditor:874:in `loop'
    PokemonEditor:899:in `pbListScreenBlock'
    PokemonEditor:2919:in `pbTrainerTypeEditor'
    PokemonDebug:1021:in `pbDebugMenu'
    PokemonDebug:1021:in `pbFadeOutIn'
    PokemonDebug:1021:in `pbDebugMenu'
    PokemonDebug:812:in `loop'

Last edited:

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
    That error of yours means that your computer is a crap and the program(RMXP) runs TOO laggy, you need a good computer. That have happened many times to me, my PC is an old one from 2000 or 2001.

EDIT: I'll remain with that evolution code, it's pretty cool and funny. I was thinking about changing it more like the anime but it seems a bit complicated.

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    My computer is new. It is a Vista, though. It has never done that before.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
    I'm probably asking too much this time, but here goes. Does someone know what all I would have to edit to make a new type of weather, and does anyone know how I would come across problems while doing so?

I'm trying to make a weather type, overworld compatable, which is a poisonous mist. In battle, it poisons any battler that is not poison or steel type. The overworld can just be a light purple screen tint, but it would be nice if it was an image, which would be a png - I have an idea what to do with it.

I'm thinking about using Defog to clear it, but am not sure exactly how to do that, and some of my 4th gen moves - like Defog - don't work in battle because I don't yet know how to program them.

Also, if somebody knows how I would go about making a tile type which is water and hurts the player's first Pokémon at every step, that would also be appreciated. Poison water, you know.

><" Yes, I know I'm asking for game specific things, but... all I hear on my game thread is chirruping Kricketot. Besides, I'm sure somebody could use the general part of any knowledge that would be provided to do something entirely different.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2009
    I'm having the same problem, to expand your knowledge on the error a bit more:

Would I be right in assuming that there are two other scripts involved in breaking the latest version of this wonderful set of files?

Yeah I get that too! :rambo:

Hope someone knows the fix :D

EDIT: temp fix: delete audio.dll

Also, anyone knows how to set a char? :paranoid:

Last edited:

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2011
    Sorry I keep coming back - I just DESPERATELY want to get started X_X

Point 1 (The Bug)
    Spoiler:

Unfortuneatly I never found that script in my files and have limited knowledge of Ruby and it's extensions ¬_¬

-----

Point 2 (The Puzzle)
    Spoiler:

Any help on either matter is very much appreciated!

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Sorry I keep coming back - I just DESPERATELY want to get started X_X

Point 1 (The Bug)
    Spoiler:

Unfortuneatly I never found that script in my files and have limited knowledge of Ruby and it's extensions ¬_¬

-----

Point 2 (The Puzzle)
    Spoiler:

Any help on either matter is very much appreciated!

Point one: I get that same error no help there. If somebody could help us?

Point two: Read the 'notes.html' on how to create a pokemon. Look for Pokemon.txt or something like that PBS pokemon I don't know.

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2011
    Point two: Read the 'notes.html' on how to create a pokemon. Look for Pokemon.txt or something like that PBS pokemon I don't know.

I did look here but I always get an error when I attempt to cancel it's number of the reigonal (or national) dex D=

Thanks for your attempt at help though ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back