• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
    Years
    What do I do to fix this error?

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1569:in `each_line'

Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'

Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'

Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2163:in `open'

Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

It would appear that in the File PBS/pokemon.txt, I did something wrong with the line WildItemRare on Arceus, but i didn't even put that line on Arceus.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    What do I do to fix this error?

Exception: RuntimeError
    File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 493, key WildItemRare

Compiler:1586:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
    Compiler:1569:in `each_line'
    Compiler:1569:in `pbEachFileSectionEx'
    Compiler:1607:in `pbEachFileSection'
    Compiler:2165:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:2163:in `open'
    Compiler:2163:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
    Compiler:3908:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:4034

It would appear that in the File PBS/pokemon.txt, I did something wrong with the line WildItemRare on Arceus, but i didn't even put that line on Arceus.
    This was on the last page. You might find the solution here. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but read the last three posts on that page and it should point you in the right direction. Also, please format the error as I did above, so that it's easier to read and takes up less space.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    I'm back with another question. Can someone point me in the direction of the script that holds the locations of the commands in the battle system? I need to move the words run, fight, pokemon, and bag around a little, so any help would be appreciated.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    This seems like such a ridiculously easy question, but it really has me stumped. When I call $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes=true I still can't run. The only time it does work if I am in the included "test map2" Even if I directly copy/paste that event into one of my maps, I still can't get it to function. Someone else asked this in this thread, but didn't get an answer besides saying to set $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes=true. I'm quite confused, I hate being hung up on something so trivial.

In the editor, select "Edit Metadata" and make sure that the Outdoor option is true.

I'm back with another question. Can someone point me in the direction of the script that holds the locations of the commands in the battle system? I need to move the words run, fight, pokemon, and bag around a little, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure they are located in the script 'PokeBattle_ActualScene.'

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    PokeBattle_ActualScene is where it's at (as usual). Firstly, find a def called pbCommandMenu. That lists all the menu options. You'll be swapping them around, but not yet!

Instead, look up a bit at the def pbCommandMenuEx. In there you'll see two instances of the number sequence [0,2,1,3] - this is the order the commands are positioned in. 0 is "Fight", 2 is "Bag", etc., and the order is top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right. Swap the numbers around here to swap the options around. Now you can swap the command options from above around as well, so make sure you swap them in the same way as you did the numbers. The list of commands changes where the text is placed, while the numbers change what happens when you click on one (they're not linked together, so you could end up with clicking "Bag" but end up choosing a move to use).

That's probably not what you wanted, though, but it did serve to introduce the commands. While we're here, the commands can be shifted around as a whole by editing the coordinates of the command box (coloured below) at the top of the class CommandMenuDisplay:
    Code:
      @window=Window_CommandPokemon.newWithSize([],
        [COLOR=SeaGreen]Graphics.width-240[/COLOR],[COLOR=SeaGreen]Graphics.height-96[/COLOR],240,96);
    That's probably not what you wanted either, but I threw it in for completeness. Or may it is what you wanted, in which case, everything below is for completeness instead. Take your pick.

Let's assume, now, that you wanted a way to freely position each command (e.g. put them all in a line, or in a <> shape, or whatever). Unfortunately, you can't do this (not easily, anyway). The positioning is done by the class Window_CommandPokemon (in SpriteWindow), but the fight screen also uses this (as do the menus in the party screen, and the confirmation yes/no message box, and lots of other things throughout the game). So you can't simply edit that class to make it look how you want.

However, there is an alternative. You have the class CommandMenuDisplay to work with (very top of ActualScene). What you can cunningly do is move the existing commands window off-screen, and draw some other stuff instead. The cunning part lies in making sure the graphics refresh themselves properly (see the end of that class for the refresh def).

But wait. Even if you do this, you'll still be restricted to the four corner design of the original command window, i.e. you can only go right and down from the "Fight" option, etc. Surely this limits how creative you can be? Actually, no (and don't call me Shirley). There's a def called pbNextIndex, and that decides what happens when you press a direction key. Simply (well, cunningly) edit this to suit your new command layout.

There's your answer. It's not pretty, but then, neither is the whole battle system. You'll need a significant amount of scripting knowledge to pull it off (particularly when making sure everything refreshes properly).

As an aside, I learnt all that just now by studying the scripts. I may be bragging about that just by mentioning it. It'd probably make for a nice tutorial, actually.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
    Hey guys, I have a quick question;
    Yesterday I went to the Database to edit the tileset to set the 'Priority' of a building so that when the character is behind it, he is actually behind it. In this case, I set the whole of the building as priority 1, because I want the character to walk under the building. As I went to go test it out, I made the player walk under the building but something happened;

When going under the building, my character's head was still shown over-top of the building. Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited:

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Hey guys, I have a quick question;
    Yesterday I went to the Database to edit the tileset to set the 'Priority' of a building so that when the character is behind it, he is actually behind it. In this case, I set the whole of the building as priority 1, because I want the character to walk under the building. As I went to go test it out, I made the player walk under the building but something happened;

When going under the building, my character's head was still shown over-top of the building. Is there a way to fix this?

When using priorities, one star is the lowest, and five is the highest. In your case, you want to use five, because you want the tiles to have a higher priority than the player, so they'll be on top.

Mortalis

Years
    When using priorities, one star is the lowest, and five is the highest. In your case, you want to use five, because you want the tiles to have a higher priority than the player, so they'll be on top.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't even try that. Thanks.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    Also, on the tiles that a player can't pass though, you should remove the priority on those. Having a priority on them will be useless.

Mortalis

Years
    Also, on the tiles that a player can't pass though, you should remove the priority on those. Having a priority on them will be useless.

Actually I'm keeping the priority's there for a reason. I'm actually writing a script right now that has to do with non-passable objects, and I need the priority there. Don't want to reveal too much right now, but yes, there's a reason.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023

Hrm, I was sure the numbers meant how many tiles difference between the object and the player there are (that's probably worded really badly). For example, *1 means that it will cover you up if you are on that tile only. *2 will cover you up if you are on it or 1 tile around it. *3 covers you up if you're on it or within a two tile radius of it (not that you'd need that for a PC) and so on.

Can anyone clarify on this? What I thought may just be coincidence.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Posting this information yet again cause people wont read back a few pages. THE SITE IS DOWN DUE TO UN-SUFFICIENT FUNDS. Might help if people would donate if they can instead of bickering about it being down.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hrm, I was sure the numbers meant how many tiles difference between the object and the player there are (that's probably worded really badly). For example, *1 means that it will cover you up if you are on that tile only. *2 will cover you up if you are on it or 1 tile around it. *3 covers you up if you're on it or within a two tile radius of it (not that you'd need that for a PC) and so on.

Can anyone clarify on this? What I thought may just be coincidence.
    The priority is how high up a tile is considered to be. The higher the priority, the higher up in the air it is, and the less likely it is to be obscured by anything else.

When setting priorities for a building/tree/whatever, use higher priorities for tiles towards the top. Take a look at the tilesets in the original RPG Maker, because those are set up properly, and see how they do priority.

I imagine (based on no factual knowledge whatsoever) that the top of the player's head, because the image spans more than one tile vertically, is treated as priority 1 (it's higher up), and the player character's priority always trumps tile priorities of the same value. That's why the hat is shown over the building - they're the same priority, but the player is more important.

Or at the least, that's just how I figure it. Seems to work, though.

Can anyone tell me in which part of the scripts are the bases for the trainer and the enemy?
    PokeBattle_Actual Scene. As is everything else to do with the appearance of the battle screen. If you can see it, it's in there.

For the bases, search for "enemybase" and "playerbase" - these are the names of the pictures used for them, so clearly they're going to be referred to somewhere.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Make the player lose?

Okay, my question is this, I want it to be, so when you first face your rival, you lose. and the game continues, without you being sent, but i only want it to happen just this one time. How can i do it?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Okay, my question is this, I want it to be, so when you first face your rival, you lose. and the game continues, without you being sent, but i only want it to happen just this one time. How can i do it?
    The wiki has the answer. Specifically, the last optional parameter for pbTrainerBattle determines whether the player blacks out and goes to a healing spot (false) or gets healed on the spot and continues with the dialogue (true). Default is false.

In other words, put the red bit in:

Code:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::HIKER,"Arthur",_I("Where's my towel?"),false,0,[COLOR=Red]true[/COLOR])

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Sorry that i have to be such a noob about this..

but it's still in comments form? even after i run the game it's still comments.. the green stuffs.. O.o

Mortalis

Years
    Sorry that i have to be such a noob about this..

but it's still in comments form? even after i run the game it's still comments.. the green stuffs.. O.o
    I'm pretty sure after you write the comments, then you need to write another set of dialogue in normal text or use a switch telling the game that the battle is over and doesn't need to call on the comments.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back