• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2011
    Huh? I put text in after the comments, ran the game, and still nothin. it's still in comment form, it lets me battle the trainer, but i still can't modify like true false and blah blah blah. i tried to post images, but nooo i need 15 post's first.. bleh.

Years
    Can anyone help me, when I playtest my game, the textbox appears fine, but when I encrypt the file to give it to others, the textbox is a little bit bigger, about a line bigger.

Any way to fix this?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Sorry that i have to be such a noob about this..

but it's still in comments form? even after i run the game it's still comments.. the green stuffs.. O.o
    Try getting rid of everything but the comments, then compiling the game. Add your extra things back in afterwards.

Alternatively, just put the lines in from scratch. They're readily available on the wiki and in the example that comes with Essentials - just copy-paste it.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    Can anyone help me, when I playtest my game, the textbox appears fine, but when I encrypt the file to give it to others, the textbox is a little bit bigger, about a line bigger.

Any way to fix this?

I've seen this error a few times before. I'm not sure how to fix it, but when I find something I'll let you know.

Years

I've seen this error a few times before. I'm not sure how to fix it, but when I find something I'll let you know.

Thanks.

another bug:
    Only one of my testers has this problem when he goes to an outdoor map.

Script 'PokemonUtilities' line 289: NoMethodError occurred.
    undefined method ´+' for nil:NilClass

I know it has something to do with the day/night cycle, and since he is the only one reporting it, I think it has something to do with a setting on his computer.

Any ideas?

Cilerba

Years
    Hm. Try upgrading to the latest version of Essentials.
    This thread here should help you when it comes to reading error messages.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Is it possible to delete the script DayNight in PokemonUtilities, without causing problems with other environments. Since I keep getting the error, because of outdoor being true.

Is it possible to increase the framerate?

Also when I create an event on a map for the BGM, why is it that it lags after I pass by an other event, e.g. NPCs.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    You can set the outdoor to false and then make your own D/N system by using events. That's what most people do and it's the best option. Not sure on framerate but for BGM, it's an issue with essentials sadly. Most people dislike essentials because it's pretty bad when it comes to music, it always lags with events. However, if someone had a solution it would be both news and beneficial to me as well as you. But yeah, essentials has a few bugs. D/N being ugly is one of them, BGM is another sadly.

Cilerba

Years
    Is it possible to delete the script DayNight in PokemonUtilities, without causing problems with other environments. Since I keep getting the error, because of outdoor being true.

Is it possible to increase the framerate?

Also when I create an event on a map for the BGM, why is it that it lags after I pass by an other event, e.g. NPCs.

Your other questions were already answered, but for changing the framerate, go to the script RGSS2Compatibility and go to line 63.
    You should see "Graphics.frame_rate=#." Edit that number to whatever you want the framerate to be.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    @Abnegation: I see, that's what I did, but from what I get out of outdoor being false, means you can't fly or run right?
    @Cilerba: Thnx. =]

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2011
    Hey guys, im wondering if there is some way for example, through events, that before a gym battle i can limit the size of a players pokemon party. Im mainly looking for the ability to limit the number of pokemon used in a gym battle by a player to 3 in his party.
    Is limiting levels in battles possible as well? For example a gym leader using baby pokemon, level limit to allow access to gym is lv20, and your only allowed to take 3 pokemon into the gym with you.
    The idea behind these limits is to increase the challenge and selection of a pokemon team for gym battles, and later, league matches. (similar to Pokemon stadium matches).

Years
    Hey guys, im wondering if there is some way for example, through events, that before a gym battle i can limit the size of a players pokemon party. Im mainly looking for the ability to limit the number of pokemon used in a gym battle by a player to 3 in his party.
    Is limiting levels in battles possible as well? For example a gym leader using baby pokemon, level limit to allow access to gym is lv20, and your only allowed to take 3 pokemon into the gym with you.
    The idea behind these limits is to increase the challenge and selection of a pokemon team for gym battles, and later, league matches. (similar to Pokemon stadium matches).

Make a Conditional branch something like this:

@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.ablePokemonCount>=4
    @>Text: (Any message saying they need a maximum of 3 Pokemon)
    @>Exit Event Processing
    @>
    : Branch End

@>(Your gym leader battle goes here)

Play with the number 4 in the Pokemon count, until you get what you want.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Why is that when I use pbTrainerIntro at the start of a trainer event, that it keeps playing when I advance in battle, and even after the battle?

Canderis

Mr. Wejo
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    I am getting an error. I have not modified any PBS file and I get this. I didnt use to get this, then it just started popping up one day. Without me editing anything. I replaced all my pbs files and then i added a trainer and this happened.

---------------------------
    Pokemon: Endtime
    Exception: RuntimeError

Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and

underscores and can't begin with a number.

Make sure the name is defined in

PBS/pokemon.txt.

File PBS/tm.txt, line 2

BULBASAUR,IVYSAUR,VENUSAUR,CHARMANDER,CHARMELEON,CHARIZARD,BEEDRILL,RATTATA,RATICATE,SANDSHREW,SANDSLASH,NIDORANfE,NIDORINA,NIDOQUEEN,NIDORANmA,NIDORINO,NIDOKING,ODDISH,GLOOM,VILEPLUME,PARAS,PARASECT,...

Compiler:906:in `pbGetConst'

Compiler:925:in `parseSpecies'

Compiler:1478:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:1475:in `each'

Compiler:1475:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:1460:in `each_line'

Compiler:1460:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:3911:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    Code:
     if pokemon.ev[0] > 24
      @sprites["EVHP"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/ballstatus")
      imagepos=[444,108]
     end

Using this on page 2 of the Summary screen as part of an EV chart viewer sort of thing. The idea here is to give players a rough idea of what EV's have gone where, but even with this small amount done, I get this error:

Exception: NoMethodError
    PokemonSummary:414:in `drawPageTwo'
    PokemonSummary:822:in `pbScene'
    PokemonSummary:763:in `loop'
    PokemonSummary:827:in `pbScene'
    PokemonSummary:844:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonScreen:819:in `pbSummary'
    PokemonScreen:1271:in `pbPokemonScreen'
    PokemonScreen:1180:in `loop'
    PokemonScreen:1440:in `pbPokemonScreen'
    PokemonMenu:155:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

How can I fix this? It confuses me, because the same command is used earlier in the script for the background.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Code:
     if pokemon.ev[0] > 24
      @sprites["EVHP"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/ballstatus")
      imagepos=[444,108]
     end
    Using this on page 2 of the Summary screen as part of an EV chart viewer sort of thing. The idea here is to give players a rough idea of what EV's have gone where, but even with this small amount done, I get this error:

How can I fix this? It confuses me, because the same command is used earlier in the script for the background.
    You haven't defined what @sprites["EVHP"] actually is. But you don't need to go that far anyway. Just use a line as follows:
    Code:
     imagepos.push(["Graphics/Pictures/ballstatushp",444,108,0,0,-1,-1]) if pokemon.ev[0]>24
    Make sure you put it between the lines saying imagepos=[] and pbDrawImagePositions(overlay,imagepos). Depending on what your chart actually looks like, tweak/repeat as necessary for the other EVs.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    You haven't defined what @sprites["EVHP"] actually is. But you don't need to go that far anyway. Just use a line as follows:
    Code:
     imagepos.push(["Graphics/Pictures/ballstatushp",444,108,0,0,-1,-1]) if pokemon.ev[0]>24
    Make sure you put it between the lines saying imagepos=[] and pbDrawImagePositions(overlay,imagepos). Depending on what your chart actually looks like, tweak/repeat as necessary for the other EVs.
    Wow, it worked! Thanks a million, Maruno!

Well, it's not really a finished product, as the current graphic is ugly and the numbers showing how many EV's are used will be a gauge when done, but I got this, thanks to your help:
    [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

The red text is used to indicate a maxed out EV, which as you can clearly see, I just made an NPC that maxed out everything for testing.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back