• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MykehDoom

Team Magma's Entei
Years
    • Age 35
    • GA
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    Those are the problems i've been having... I respect all the hard work poccil has done but these problems seem like they are i dunno intentional... i hate to sy it but its just too big of a mess how do you release something like that... and i also noticed the credit text was changed to You better give credit attitude

Yeah I understand completely. And Yeah a lot of the stuff on it, seem intentional. Does anyone have any older working versions with no problems? Or can someone fix the problems and re-up it?

MykehDoom

Team Magma's Entei
    Years
    • Age 35
    • GA
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    It's probably that. So how do I set it to allow running?

Open the editor, and look at the metadata. Make sure the map you want running on is set to an outdoor map. I think you can only run on outdoor maps if I'm not mistaken. I havent worked on a poke game since 2006 but If my memory serves me right, that's what ya have ta do. I hope it works for you.

Then just compile the metadata and test it.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Problem: In battle, the player's pokémon bobs up and down by a pixel or two. If you use a move when the pokémon is "down", that "down" position becomes the new "up" for the next round. In a long enough battle, and timing the clicks just right, you can make your pokémon sink off the bottom of the screen.

I'm using the 3rd Feb 2009 version of Essentials, so I don't know if this problem has since been fixed, or whether it's just that no one's noticed it.

What's the solution for this?
    Bumping, because the battle system is really quite messy so I can't find where the bobbing animation (amongst many other things) is done.

Rassalon

Epic One
    Years
  • I am sure there is a way of getting that grayish frame around the game in Pokemon essentials can anyone advise me how. I used to know i just forgot.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Bumping, because the battle system is really quite messy so I can't find where the bobbing animation (amongst many other things) is done.

That was the thing I was just looking at recently, and after a devastating long battle my Pokemon was almost swallowed up by the bottom screen. In PokeBattle_ActualScene search for:
    Code:
    @spriteY+2
    (I can't just tell you the line it's on since I've altered most of it so our lines wouldn't be the same)
    Once you found it you should see something like:
    Code:
    if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=[COLOR="Red"]@spriteY+2[/COLOR]
       self.visible=@spriteVisible
      elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
       self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
      elsif 
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
      end
    Change the text in red to your second position of the sprite (in my case the original position of the sprite is 128 for the y value, so I would just add 2 pixels more to make it 130). This way, if you have the fixed positions set, it won't surpass the limit. The Pokemon will stop moving at some point, but that shouldn't be too bothersome.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • 'ello.. I added a new type, LIGHT into the PBTypes script.. but the images down't work out..

Like this:

iI tried so many things but it shows up all messy. This is how my "types.png" file is. It's attached.

Please help...

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    'ello.. I added a new type, LIGHT into the PBTypes script.. but the images down't work out..

Like this:

iI tried so many things but it shows up all messy. This is how my "types.png" file is. It's attached.

Please help...

Is all you did was add a new "light" image to the types? or did you actually edit the script?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That was the thing I was just looking at recently, and after a devastating long battle my Pokemon was almost swallowed up by the bottom screen. In PokeBattle_ActualScene search for:
    Code:
    @spriteY+2
    (I can't just tell you the line it's on since I've altered most of it so our lines wouldn't be the same)
    Once you found it you should see something like:
    Code:
    if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=[COLOR=Red]@spriteY+2[/COLOR]
      elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
       self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
      elsif 
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
      end
    Change the text in red to your second position of the sprite (in my case the original position of the sprite is 128 for the y value, so I would just add 2 pixels more to make it 130). This way, if you have the fixed positions set, it won't surpass the limit. The Pokemon will stop moving at some point, but that shouldn't be too bothersome.
    Thanks for the help. To be honest, I hadn't looked into it that much.

I'm not entirely sure what the value would be that the red part should be replaced with. It's determined elsewhere, with all the metrics and everything added, so it's not just a fixed number for all pokémon. I could make it a fixed number, but that would require editing most of the back sprites so they sit at the bottom of the screen.

I think an alternate method might be to somehow edit this part just above the code you quoted:
    Code:
     def y=(value)
      @spriteY=value if !@updating
      super
     end
    Perhaps a line like:
    Code:
    @spriteY=value-2 if !@updating && ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1
    i.e. whenever the y has had 2 added to it. Does this look reasonable? As far as I can tell, this part sets the new +2 value as the new @spriteY when the player selects a move to use, although I'm not sure how it does so (that !@updating should be preventing dodginess).

I may just have to edit all my back sprites and go with your method after all.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Alright, um, is anyone gonna tell those of us using the Dec.12th version how to get it working? I'm missing the PBS/Types notepad/wordpad file and according to others, the maps don't seem to be working....

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Alright, um, is anyone gonna tell those of us using the Dec.12th version how to get it working? I'm missing the PBS/Types notepad/wordpad file and according to others, the maps don't seem to be working....

I have to use an olderversion till its fixed... I didnt feel like trying to fix it and i wouldnt know where to start since my PE is a very old version... i'd like to use the dce12 version but apparently we cant... So i suggest use an older version till its fixed...

Ahem... that's why I'm asking, because I don't know, I know how to start directly on a map on an original RMXP game, but this poke game engine has its own SDK.

I think This is what you want right?

The only way i found you can do this is by taking away the players choice to choose Male or female. If your okay with that edit your intro file to look like this dont delete it though...

You dont have to include the switches and stuff above you can change it try experimenting just make sure you save before making changes
    Now im sure that can be changed to where you actually dont have to take away the players choice to choose but I'll leave that up to you to figure out i just pointed you in the right direction...

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I have to use an olderversion till its fixed... I didnt feel like trying to fix it and i wouldnt know where to start since my PE is a very old version... i'd like to use the dce12 version but apparently we cant... So i suggest use an older version till its fixed...

Uh does anyone have an older version They can send me?

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • I have to use an olderversion till its fixed... I didnt feel like trying to fix it and i wouldnt know where to start since my PE is a very old version... i'd like to use the dce12 version but apparently we cant... So i suggest use an older version till its fixed...

I think This is what you want right?

The only way i found you can do this is by taking away the players choice to choose Male or female. If your okay with that edit your intro file to look like this dont delete it though...

You dont have to include the switches and stuff above you can change it try experimenting just make sure you save before making changes
    Now im sure that can be changed to where you actually dont have to take away the players choice to choose but I'll leave that up to you to figure out i just pointed you in the right direction...

Thanx... I think. But I dunno yet if what you gave is what I need. I meant: to start directly on a map, not after the "Continue" "New Game", and "Options", no no no. I mean, instead of showing those pictures from the title, to start directly on a map, and with an event show the screens and animate them, then, after the screens were shown, use a script to go to the Scene_Title Screen or something like that, AND, press C or Enter to go to the Load screen, then, choose between Continue, New Game or something like that.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanx... I think. But I dunno yet if what you gave is what I need. I meant: to start directly on a map, not after the "Continue" "New Game", and "Options", no no no. I mean, instead of showing those pictures from the title, to start directly on a map, and with an event show the screens and animate them, then, after the screens were shown, use a script to go to the Scene_Title Screen or something like that, AND, press C or Enter to go to the Load screen, then, choose between Continue, New Game or something like that.
    So you want the very first thing to happen when you run the program is to appear on a map. I'm not entirely sure that's possible - how can one start playing a game before choosing whether they want to start a new game or load a saved one? Because that's what you're asking to do.

This strikes me as being an overly elaborate workaround, of the order of wanting a fancy animated opening (that you know how to do with events) - something like the Nidorino/Gengar battle at the beginning of Red/Blue? If so, then you'd need to code it in separately (although I think it'd be simpler than going straight to a map).

Scene_Intro handles what happens at the very beginning of the game. It displays the splash images, then goes to the start screen. You can either write a new section in there (or edit the "Splash Image" section) to display your animated scene (gifs are fine if you have it pre-animated, or you could spend ages animating it yourself in there by displaying and moving sprites around), or if you're still wanting this "straight to map" thing then maybe you could put that in there instead (see PokemonLoad, around line 300, for how to start a new game).

The best thing to do, though, would be to compromise and not faff around with this complicated stuff. Just put what you want after you start a new game, or turn it into a series of splash images or something. I wouldn't know, but it might work just fine if all you do is throw a gif in the Titles folder.

Shikamaru88

Back dont know if I will stay.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010

Well im sorry i tried... I doubt what your asking is possible though...

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Umm...somehow when I playtest my game, the person is on top of EVERYTHING. Even the characters, the buildings. It's like somehow I put on "Always on Top" which I didn't I even checked.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Is there an event on the map your testing on that causes the player to be Always on Top? If not, it may be that the tiles your using havn't be modified to be impassable or not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back