• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
Years
  • I tried that a while ago and it didn't work.
    Are you just changing the event and pressing play? And what kind of event is it? If it's an event that only happens once you'll need to start a new game to fix it. (if you've already completed the event). If it's something simple like a transfer event, then I'm not sure what you can do. x.x

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • You would have to edit the PBS/PokéMon And add him in in this format.
    Spoiler:

(I can't remember the details; but maybe you should read this incase you already haven't.)

EDIT: On a completely off topic side note... Yea baby! Post 69! o_O

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    You would have to edit the PBS/PokéMon And add him in in this format.
    Spoiler:

(I can't remember the details; but maybe you should read this incase you already haven't.)

EDIT: On a completely off topic side note... Yea baby! Post 69! o_O

I'm almost sure he's talking about alternate forms of a Pokemon (like different Rotoms), in which I know thats not the way to do it. I just don't know how to do it.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • If it's an alternate form it's done the same way as adding a new PokéMon, the only difference being they have the same dex number (not internal number though)
    That's the simple way that most people use at least. o.o
    Many other well-known species have alternate forms that are not implemented in Pokémon Essentials. To give special forms to these and other species, edit the methods "pbLoadPokemonBitmapSpecies" and "pbPokemonIconFile" in the script section PokemonUtilities. It may also be necessary to add methods to the script section PokeBattle_Pokemon that calculate which form to display depending on the Pokémon's internal data (see PokeBattle_Pokemon in the advanced notes). This, however, is an advanced scripting feature.
    ^That's the hard way to do it, but you would have to do it this way for PokéMon such as Arceus, Shaymin, and Giratina, that change based on an item or Castform, who changes constantly.

But you can just do what I said for simpler species such as Wormadam, Shellos/Gastrodon, and unown. (theres something to do unown differently in essentials, but it doesn't work for a lot of people, so they just copy unown's dex data 27 more times, give them their internal numbers, and have it's dex number as the original unown.)

Er, now does it make sense? x_X

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    So I'm trying to write a script that creates a starter selection similar to R/S/E's but I have run into two small road blocks.

I have the core of the system working, as far as you can pick a starter and recieve it onto your team, however I can't seem to get a couple of things to work.

1. I can't display the picture of the starter when I select it

2. I can't for the life of me seem to code the whole "Are you sure you want STIPOLDOS?" "YES/NO" prompt thing after I select Stipoldos.

Can anyone help me out here, or at least give me some pointers...?

The script isn't anything fancy so I have included it as reference, especially since I suck at RGSS, so someone maybe able to pick up on other scripting errors that I need to fix aswell..
    Spoiler:

BR25

The guy who loses at everythin
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    Does anyone know how to make a legendry battle
    like when you walk up to a pokemon and talk to it battles you?

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • So I'm trying to write a script that creates a starter selection similar to R/S/E's but I have run into two small road blocks.

I have the core of the system working, as far as you can pick a starter and recieve it onto your team, however I can't seem to get a couple of things to work.

1. I can't display the picture of the starter when I select it

2. I can't for the life of me seem to code the whole "Are you sure you want STIPOLDOS?" "YES/NO" prompt thing after I select Stipoldos.

Can anyone help me out here, or at least give me some pointers...?

The script isn't anything fancy so I have included it as reference, especially since I suck at RGSS, so someone maybe able to pick up on other scripting errors that I need to fix aswell..
    Spoiler:

Just do it by events, much easier and you will have a better final product.

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • I'm almost sure he's talking about alternate forms of a Pokemon (like different Rotoms), in which I know thats not the way to do it. I just don't know how to do it.
    Sort of, I know what you're talking about, but that's just for different sprites

If it's an alternate form it's done the same way as adding a new PokéMon, the only difference being they have the same dex number (not internal number though)
    That's the simple way that most people use at least. o.o

^That's the hard way to do it, but you would have to do it this way for PokéMon such as Arceus, Shaymin, and Giratina, that change based on an item or Castform, who changes constantly.

But you can just do what I said for simpler species such as Wormadam, Shellos/Gastrodon, and unown. (theres something to do unown differently in essentials, but it doesn't work for a lot of people, so they just copy unown's dex data 27 more times, give them their internal numbers, and have it's dex number as the original unown.)

Er, now does it make sense? x_X

yeah, that helps alot, but is the "internal number" called the "internal name" in the PBS file?

EDIT: almost forgot, can a pokemon not have any pokedex number at all? Like a new species that has yet to be catagorized? I'm thinking of something like a baby groudon or something like that

Last edited:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • There's a line missing at line 420: underneath where it says
    Code:
    dexlist=pbGetDexList()
    it should say
    Code:
    dexdata=pbOpenDexData()

Thank you very much, Wichu. I have another problem now. I am curious as to how I can call the Move Tutor script. I downloaded the move tutor script and I can't seem to figure out how to call it. Can you figure this out for me? I'm stumped.

Years
  • Hi,

When i try to update my starterkit and copy the files in the PBS-Folder, i get this error-message:

Spoiler:

the entry in pokemon.txt from line 82 to 107:

Spoiler:

"Glumanda" does exist in pokemon.txt, i've checked the files, but i have noy idea. :(

Sorry for my bad english, i'm german.

Thanks

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hi,

When i try to update my starterkit and copy the files in the PBS-Folder, i get this error-message:

Spoiler:

the entry in pokemon.txt from line 82 to 107:

Spoiler:

"Glumanda" does exist in pokemon.txt, i've checked the files, but i have noy idea. :(

Sorry for my bad english, i'm german.

Thanks
    The "undefined species constant name" is in all capitals, yet the internal name of Glumanda isn't. Capitalisation matters here, and I would suggest you follow the trend of the original Essentials and put all internal names as all capitals. Not only would it help, but all-capital words are easier to see in events/code.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I'll post this again -

'ello.. I added a new type, LIGHT into the PBTypes script.. but the images down't work out..

Like this:
    [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

iI tried so many things but it shows up all messy. This is how my "types.png" file is. It's attached.

Please help...

Here's the attachment's link:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51490&d=1261000453

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That was the thing I was just looking at recently, and after a devastating long battle my Pokemon was almost swallowed up by the bottom screen. In PokeBattle_ActualScene search for:
    Code:
    @spriteY+2
    (I can't just tell you the line it's on since I've altered most of it so our lines wouldn't be the same)
    Once you found it you should see something like:
    Code:
    if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=[COLOR=Red]@spriteY+2[/COLOR]
       self.visible=@spriteVisible
      elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
       self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
      elsif 
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=[COLOR=Lime]@spriteY[/COLOR]
      end
    Change the text in red to your second position of the sprite (in my case the original position of the sprite is 128 for the y value, so I would just add 2 pixels more to make it 130). This way, if you have the fixed positions set, it won't surpass the limit. The Pokemon will stop moving at some point, but that shouldn't be too bothersome.
    Having looked at this again, I've discovered that editing both the red and green parts in the code quoted, the player's pokémon will always bob properly. However, the green part also sets the foe's Y coordinate, so if it's a number rather than a variable, there's going to be something quite unwanted going on.

The solution, as seen below, is to edit the first number in red (make it equal to @spriteY+2), and to add in the new "elsif" section (with the y value equal to @spriteY).
    Code:
      if ((@frame/9).floor&1)==1 && @selected==1 # When choosing commands for this Pokémon
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=[COLOR=Red]130[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Red]elsif @selected==1
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=128
       self.visible=@spriteVisible[/COLOR]
      elsif @selected==2 # When targeted or damaged
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
       self.visible=(@frame%10<7)
      elsif 
       self.x=@spriteX
       self.y=@spriteY
      end
    Just in case anyone wanted to fix this.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • How exactly could I make extra frames for Pokemon, like in HG/SS? Could I just make a GIF file or do I have do insert some kind of special script?

How about opening my christmas present. It contains a tutorial on how to make Pokemon and Trainer sprites animated in battle. And yes, is is a script.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    How would I go about making Pikachu (as a dependent event) disappear when trying to surf, fly, or something else I can't think of right now. Then reappear after you go on land when surfing or when you arrive once you fly. It's hard to explain. I am trying to make it like HGSS

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • How would I go about making Pikachu (as a dependent event) disappear when trying to surf, fly, or something else I can't think of right now. Then reappear after you go on land when surfing or when you arrive once you fly. It's hard to explain. I am trying to make it like HGSS

Search in the PokemonField Script for a def that has to do with using surf (forgot it's name sry), the rest is easy to figure out ;].

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back