• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendaries

Ginzuishou/Heavy-Metal-Lover
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    Pokemon Center script doesn't work for me. I copy it exactly as it is, don't change any line in event and there is an error during healing Pokemon:
    v45kp1.png

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is it possible to expand the Metadata to support more playable characters?
    The player characters, as battlers, are defined just like any other trainer type, so this part should be easy enough. Decide how many trainers you need in total, and use trainer type IDs 0 to n-1 for your players (you'll need to bump the rest of the list down, or relocate the top few generic trainers to the bottom, e.g. Lass, Youngster - remember to move their sprites/sprite sheets as well in the Characters folder).

Now, despite the IDs 0 and 1 being "PkMnTRAINER_Male" and "Female", you can't use just these two for all your outfits. The reason is that the outfit being shown depends on the ID. Aside from the internal names, though, everything else can stay the same.

Go into trainernames.txt and add in the new trainer types as mentioned, then go into metadata.txt and copy-paste the "PlayerA" line with any necessary changes. Use "PlayerE" and so on - I doubt you'll be wanting more than 26 outfits anyway, but if you do just go for "AA", "AB", "AC" and so on.

Now into the scripts. In Compiler, search for "PlayerA", and add in the extra players with some copy-pasting. Remember to bump the numbers of the rest of the lines in that GlobalTypes array (e.g. "SurfBGM" is 12 by default).

Then go into the script section PokemonUtilities and search for "pbChangePlayer". There's a line that restricts the options to between 0 and 3, so change the upper limit there to n-1 (where n is the total number of outfits).

After that, just make sure you've got all the necessary picture files. This includes all the sprite sheets and the trainer's front sprites, to be put in the Characters folder, and the trainer back sprites, which are in the Pictures folder called "trback###.png" and are wide pictures with 4 frames (regular back, and 3 throwing frames).

I haven't done this myself, so I have no idea what will happen if you listen to me. However, it's a start.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    The player characters, as battlers, are defined just like any other trainer type, so this part should be easy enough. Decide how many trainers you need in total, and use trainer type IDs 0 to n-1 for your players (you'll need to bump the rest of the list down, or relocate the top few generic trainers to the bottom, e.g. Lass, Youngster - remember to move their sprites/sprite sheets as well in the Characters folder).

Now, despite the IDs 0 and 1 being "PkMnTRAINER_Male" and "Female", you can't use just these two for all your outfits. The reason is that the outfit being shown depends on the ID. Aside from the internal names, though, everything else can stay the same.

Go into trainernames.txt and add in the new trainer types as mentioned, then go into metadata.txt and copy-paste the "PlayerA" line with any necessary changes. Use "PlayerE" and so on - I doubt you'll be wanting more than 26 outfits anyway, but if you do just go for "AA", "AB", "AC" and so on.

Now into the scripts. In Compiler, search for "PlayerA", and add in the extra players with some copy-pasting. Remember to bump the numbers of the rest of the lines in that GlobalTypes array (e.g. "SurfBGM" is 12 by default).

Then go into the script section PokemonUtilities and search for "pbChangePlayer". There's a line that restricts the options to between 0 and 3, so change the upper limit there to n-1 (where n is the total number of outfits).

After that, just make sure you've got all the necessary picture files. This includes all the sprite sheets and the trainer's front sprites, to be put in the Characters folder, and the trainer back sprites, which are in the Pictures folder called "trback###.png" and are wide pictures with 4 frames (regular back, and 3 throwing frames).

I haven't done this myself, so I have no idea what will happen if you listen to me. However, it's a start.

Seriously? Hmm...I may try that.

EDIT: How I change the size of text on like the trainer card, or the options menu, etc.?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Hi
    We are making some pokemon game using the starter's kit.
    Can we consider the lastest release a "final" one ? Because I intent on modifying the engine and I won't be able to update the starter's kit after I do so.

So, what are the major points in the starter kit that are not done / missing ? Except the 4th gen stuff of course

Short Range

Chargin' mah Solarbeam!
    Years
  • Hi
    We are making some pokemon game using the starter's kit.
    Can we consider the lastest release a "final" one ? Because I intent on modifying the engine and I won't be able to update the starter's kit after I do so.

So, what are the major points in the starter kit that are not done / missing ? Except the 4th gen stuff of course

I don't think the latest release could be considered final at all. There's still so many things to add and edit, including 4th generation content.

By the way, any idea when we'll see that kind of stuff?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I don't think the latest release could be considered final at all. There's still so many things to add and edit, including 4th generation content.

By the way, any idea when we'll see that kind of stuff?
    Probably never. I think that's the whole point of the kit - it's just a basis, and you add in what you want yourself, rather than have everything there to start with. Making a game shouldn't be too easy, and it wouldn't be "your" game if someone else programmed it all and all you did was draw some maps.

Besides, plenty of us modify the engine, and we don't wait until the hypothetical "final" version of Essentials comes out. I'm using a version that was released a year ago, for example. There's always a change log anyway, so you can add in whatever's changed between versions yourself.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Thank you, but you are not really helping me...
    I'm just wondering, what is not implemented in the kit, besides the 4th gen stuff ?
    From what I have seen everything is here except the poffin
    What else is missing ?

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    I don't, I don't really play pokemon much. I was talking about the thing you need to feed Feebas to make it evolve.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Hi someone can tell me how to get animated pokemon icon? I try AnmatedBitmap, and two others methods but still i getting errors or pokemon not animate please help me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2012
    I everyone, already im new whit this engine, but i have some questions.
    Its possible to make pokemons drop items?
    and how can i animate the pokemons in battle?

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Hi, I was running the original version of Pedapp and whenever I went to a trainer battle, a certain error occurred. I managed to fix it and I cannot remember how, when Pedapp V1 was cancelled I went back to just normal Pokestarter and I'm now getting the same error as before and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong as all the scripts I'm using are the ones that came with Pokestarter. The error goes like this:

---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    ---------------------------
    Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 19, map 17 (Foamwander Allotments):

Section066:644:in `pbFromPBMove'(eval):1:in `pbFromPBMove'uninitialized constant PokeBattle_Move::PokeBattle_Move_FE

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::BULLY,"GARY",_I("Wha? But how could I lose to a loser like you?"),false,3,true)

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokeBattle_Battle:338:in `eval'

PokeBattle_Move:644:in `pbFromPBMove'

PokeBattle_Battle:338:in `initialize'

PokemonTrainers:457:in `new'

PokemonTrainers:457:in `pbTrainerBattle'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:789:in `eval'

Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:789:in `command_111'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:789:in `command_111'

Interpreter:322:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'
    I don't suppose anyone can tell me what's going wrong could they?

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    I have a problem with autotiles' transparency in Starter Kit. Example: I have flowers autotile, I put it on the map and test the game. And I see motionless first frame of autotile and flowers covering it and moving. The same with waterfall.
    2db5pmo.png

maaddogg

Epic spriter in the making!!
    Years
  • ok so im scripting a new menu system thats going to use custom graphics that i made,so heres the problem,when i start my game the menu works fine but scince i made part of the graphics transparent,the transparent part(where the map is suppose to be}just shows a black background behind the graphics.

could someone please tell me how to make the background show the map instead of just the black background.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have a problem with autotiles' transparency in Starter Kit. Example: I have flowers autotile, I put it on the map and test the game. And I see motionless first frame of autotile and flowers covering it and moving. The same with waterfall.
    2db5pmo.png
    If I understand you correctly, the in-game flowers look like they have two layers - the bottom layer is static (the first frame of the moving flowers only), and the top layer is the moving flowers as normal.

Have you put the flowers in the map twice, on two different layers? Or done anything weird in the mapping? I'm not sure where the problem lies with only that little information.

ok so im scripting a new menu system thats going to use custom graphics that i made,so heres the problem,when i start my game the menu works fine but scince i made part of the graphics transparent,the transparent part(where the map is suppose to be}just shows a black background behind the graphics.

could someone please tell me how to make the background show the map instead of just the black background.
    So essentially your menu screen is one big picture that covers the entire screen, with parts transparent.

I'm not sure what's going on here. It must be the way you coded it that's causing the problem, because the default menu frame is just a picture itself, and it works fine with its transparent corners. All I can suggest is that you mimic the original code as much as possible.

Then there's the stupidly obvious question of: Are you sure it's transparent?

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
  • I have a problem with autotiles' transparency in Starter Kit. Example: I have flowers autotile, I put it on the map and test the game. And I see motionless first frame of autotile and flowers covering it and moving. The same with waterfall.
    2db5pmo.png

The problem is that RMXP has problem with animated autotiles with a transparent background. just use put the grass tile as background for the autotile and it will work.

ok so im scripting a new menu system thats going to use custom graphics that i made,so heres the problem,when i start my game the menu works fine but scince i made part of the graphics transparent,the transparent part(where the map is suppose to be}just shows a black background behind the graphics.

For my menu, I added that to the initialize Def so it use the map as background:

@spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new

Just add that to any line in thei def and it should work, and don't forget to add it to the dispose list as well!

Legendaries

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    The problem is that RMXP has problem with animated autotiles with a transparent background. just use put the grass tile as background for the autotile and it will work.

But there was no problem without starter kit...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back