• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2012
    Firstly, thank you very much to you folks who have been answering all our questions. You have no idea how helpful browsing through the pages of this thread has been when I hit a problem with the Kit.

Seccondly, a huge thank you to Poccil for actually taking the time to build the Kit. Words can't express how fantastic it is.

I've been having an issue with the positioning of the Pokemon battle sprites. When a battle against a wild Pokemon starts, the sprites are positioned correctly, but when a Trainer battle starts, the sprites are positioned up and to the left of the ring on the battle background. Like this:

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that I shrunk the image from the original size, but the fact that wild battles work fine while Trainer battles don't put a dampener on that theory.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2010
    err, can anybody help me, I just downloaded the kit and i'm having a problem. every time the battle start and the trainer is about to send his pokemon , the game will got an error with script. any solution?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I've been having an issue with the positioning of the Pokemon battle sprites. When a battle against a wild Pokemon starts, the sprites are positioned correctly, but when a Trainer battle starts, the sprites are positioned up and to the left of the ring on the battle background.

Someone had a fix for this a while ago. Go to line 738 of PokeBattle_ActualScene and change @endspritey=factor*2+halfY to @endspritey=factor*0.95+halfY. That should fix it, although I haven't personally tested it yet.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Firstly, thank you very much to you folks who have been answering all our questions. You have no idea how helpful browsing through the pages of this thread has been when I hit a problem with the Kit.

Seccondly, a huge thank you to Poccil for actually taking the time to build the Kit. Words can't express how fantastic it is.

I've been having an issue with the positioning of the Pokemon battle sprites. When a battle against a wild Pokemon starts, the sprites are positioned correctly, but when a Trainer battle starts, the sprites are positioned up and to the left of the ring on the battle background. Like this:

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that I shrunk the image from the original size, but the fact that wild battles work fine while Trainer battles don't put a dampener on that theory.
    Shrinking the image shouldn't matter, I don't think.

I believe the problem is that the positioning of the foe sprites is different depending on whether the battle is a wild or a trainer one. The solution has been posted several times - try searching this thread for the term "metrics" until you find something that looks right.

err, can anybody help me, I just downloaded the kit and i'm having a problem. every time the battle start and the trainer is about to send his pokemon , the game will got an error with script. any solution?
    Probably, but it depends entirely on what error you're getting. Since we don't know that, we can't help.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Someone had a fix for this a while ago. Go to line 738 of PokeBattle_ActualScene and change @endspritey=factor*2+halfY to @endspritey=factor*0.95+halfY. That should fix it, although I haven't personally tested it yet.

I just tested it. It does work if you just make that small change, but there's an incredibly slight difference. Without comparing the trainer to wild battle closely, you can't really see the difference. Also, you may be able to make a slight adjustment to the number and get it even closer. Still, the difference is too small to worry about though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2010
    I need help, please!

Hello, I'm new to pokemon essentials and I need help.
    I downloaded RPG Maker XP and pokemon essentials last night. After I downloaded it I played game mode for a minute to see what it was like; then I went to editing it in RPG Maker XP.
    I started out editing the poke center. When I was pleased with my editing I clicked on 'Play Test' and saved changes.
    When I was play testing my game my character was invisible (o.o). I thought it was meant to be like that on play test or something.
    So, I went to game mode and clicked 'New Game'; and I started out in the poke center (still invisible!)
    After that happened I made my start point in test map to see if it was the poke center only making my person invisible.
    Guess what... I was still invisible.

Hopefully someone will know what to do. =D

Also...
    This shows up when I try to go up the poke centers stairs:

Exception : TypeError
    Sprite_Character:93:in `+'
    Sprite_Character:93:in `update_or'
    PerspectiveTileMap:408:in `shadow_update'
    Shadow:179:in `update'
    Sprite_Character:33:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'
    PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'
    Shadow:155:in `initialize'
    Spriteset_Map:147:in `new'
    Spriteset_Map:147:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
    AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'

What does this mean?
    I'm no computer genius...
    But that doesn't mean I can't learn!

(Sorry this is so boring!)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hello, I'm new to pokemon essentials and I need help.
    I downloaded RPG Maker XP and pokemon essentials last night. After I downloaded it I played game mode for a minute to see what it was like; then I went to editing it in RPG Maker XP.
    I started out editing the poke center. When I was pleased with my editing I clicked on 'Play Test' and saved changes.
    When I was play testing my game my character was invisible (o.o). I thought it was meant to be like that on play test or something.
    So, I went to game mode and clicked 'New Game'; and I started out in the poke center (still invisible!)
    After that happened I made my start point in test map to see if it was the poke center only making my person invisible.
    Guess what... I was still invisible.

Hopefully someone will know what to do. =D

Also...
    This shows up when I try to go up the poke centers stairs:

Exception : TypeError
    Sprite_Character:93:in `+'
    Sprite_Character:93:in `update_or'
    PerspectiveTileMap:408:in `shadow_update'
    Shadow:179:in `update'
    Sprite_Character:33:in `perspectivetilemap_initialize'
    PerspectiveTilemap:404:in `shadow_initialize'
    Shadow:155:in `initialize'
    Spriteset_Map:147:in `new'
    Spriteset_Map:147:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
    AnimationSprite:42:in `shadow_initialize'

What does this mean?
    I'm no computer genius...
    But that doesn't mean I can't learn!

(Sorry this is so boring!)
    One of the things you changed in the game was the intro map (the one where Professor Oak shows up and tells you this is a Pokémon game). Part of this intro is where the player chooses a gender - doing so also sets the player's graphics (without which they are invisible). Put in "pbChangePlayer(0)" to set it to male, and "
    pbChangePlayer(1)" for female.

Oh, and always keep the starting position in the intro map, so that the intro works (and sets the player's graphics).

As for your stairs error, I don't know what the problem is because I don't know what the stairs event looks like - I'm sure this is one of the things you edited, but the reason I can't help is that I don't know what that event now does.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
    Years
    Uhm...yeah. I'm really too lazy to look through this entire thread for my answer, so I'm gonna come out and just ask it.

How do you edit this thing?

I see a lot of people making their own maps and their own games with this, but I really don't understand how. Can someone please enlighten me on this, because RMXP is really starting to get annoying with the whole scripting thing.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    @Civil Servant

I really hope you aren't using that Growlithe for the final release. For one, it looks too out of place compared to the other sprite you are using. That's just my opinion though, just trying to make your game look a bit better.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Uhm...yeah. I'm really too lazy to look through this entire thread for my answer, so I'm gonna come out and just ask it.

How do you edit this thing?

I see a lot of people making their own maps and their own games with this, but I really don't understand how. Can someone please enlighten me on this, because RMXP is really starting to get annoying with the whole scripting thing.

It doesn't get any more basic than that. I would suggest looking for RMXP tutorials, since they can probably explain all of the basic features well enough for you to get started. Also, you probably don't need to worry about scripts if you're just starting, since you don't necessarily have to edit them to make a game (they just make it a lot better). Mapping is pretty easy (if you keep it simple), and you'll want to pay attention to events. Events are what you'll use probably more than anything else.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
    Years
    It doesn't get any more basic than that. I would suggest looking for RMXP tutorials, since they can probably explain all of the basic features well enough for you to get started. Also, you probably don't need to worry about scripts if you're just starting, since you don't necessarily have to edit them to make a game (they just make it a lot better). Mapping is pretty easy (if you keep it simple), and you'll want to pay attention to events. Events are what you'll use probably more than anything else.

Well...see...I know all of that already. It's just...Poccil's Starter Kit is so much better apparently, seeing as it has the perspective script and battle system and all that already programed.

Unless there is a way to get all of those scripts off of the starter kit...

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Well...see...I know all of that already. It's just...Poccil's Starter Kit is so much better apparently, seeing as it has the perspective script and battle system and all that already programed.

Unless there is a way to get all of those scripts off of the starter kit...

I see, sorry I misunderstood. There's a help file that comes with essentials, and also there's the editor.exe, which allows you to set up trainers, encounters, make new items, etc.
    Also, if you're talking about editing the scripts, I can't help you much there (a lot of the scripts reference each other to make everything work, so if you go beyond changing the extras or adding new stuff, things could get really messed up). You should probably take what you have and put it in essentials, instead of moving all of it to your project (though it's not that hard)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2010
    Stairs script

Does anyone know the script for going up stairs?

Btw, Maruno, thanks for answering my other question! =]

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Does anyone know the script for going up stairs?

Btw, Maruno, thanks for answering my other question! =]

Why use a script, when you can do it with events? Go to the notes for pokemon essentials, and look for side stairs. It tells you exactly how to do it (unless you mean stairs that you walk into up or down rather than side to side, in which case it's basically the same as a door).

ldida1 said:
    Please help me with fly i have travelled to the place i want to fly but it still wont fly nothing happens.
    I have changed the healing point in the townmap gen and on the editor.

I looked into your problem, as it was happening to me too. The problem is that it probably wasn't set up right in townmapgen. I had used it, and thought it was right, but wasn't. Make sure that in the healing spot field you put the map id, as well as the x and y coordinates. They all have to be separated by commas, and in that order.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2012

Thank you, this worked perfectly! Although I had to change the factor*2+halfY to factor*4+halfY to get the positioning correct, but it was exactly what I was looking for!

@Civil Servant

I really hope you aren't using that Growlithe for the final release. For one, it looks too out of place compared to the other sprite you are using. That's just my opinion though, just trying to make your game look a bit better.

I'm hoping to be able to replace all of my graphics with images styled after the anime, but I'm yet to get around to the battlebacks, trainers, battle backgrounds or overworlds yet. Still, early days!

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    That's pretty cool. Good luck with that. My sprite artist is currently upscaleing all of the front and back sprites of all the Pokemon. That way the resolution won't be 64x64 with a 2x zoom in paint, but rather remastered sprites.

Amarantine

The psychic baritone ♠
    Years
    Hey guys! i have a little problem with the font color in the game i'm making. You know usually the font color in the name of the pokemon in HP Bars is black with a gray shadow, right? Well my problem is that i recolored the HP Bars, and the black isn't clearly visible anymore. I would like to change the font color to white, but i can't seem to figure out how. Any help with that, please? Thanks!

ldida1

The penguin who likes pie.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2011
    I looked into your problem, as it was happening to me too. The problem is that it probably wasn't set up right in townmapgen. I had used it, and thought it was right, but wasn't. Make sure that in the healing spot field you put the map id, as well as the x and y coordinates. They all have to be separated by commas, and in that order.

Thanks!
    yeah i hadnt added the map# to it but now it works fine...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back