The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Games Showcase
Demo Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Games Showcase This forum is for non-ROM hacked games created by the community. Browse the collection or post your own!

View Poll Results: Which starter will you be choosing?
Fernling, The Hatchling Pokemon (Grass/Flying) 736 41.65%
Kittorch, The Kitten Pokemon (Fire) 694 39.28%
Bubull, The Hippo Pokemon (Water) 337 19.07%
Voters: 1767. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 12th, 2015 (7:48 AM). Edited December 19th, 2015 by PerihelionProductions.
Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Nature: Bold
    Perihelion Productions is proud to present a new, amazing, and visually stunning project!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INTRODUCTION
    Immerse yourself in the beautiful Leneka Region and discover tons of new wild Pokémon around every corner. Build your favorite team of Pokémon and battle your way to the top by challenging experienced Gym Leaders throughout the region. Encounter mythical legendary Pokémon and keep those who seek to do harm from reaching their goals! You’ll face many challenges along the way, but if you work hard enough, you will succeed in your quest to be the greatest Pokémon trainer ever!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STORY
    Legend tells of an ancient Pokémon with the ability to travel between the world of the living and the world of the dead. It is said that long ago, our ancestors used to summon this Pokémon with a relic, and on rare occasions, it would appear and bring one who had passed back to the land of the living. When the common people had heard of this great power, wars broke out over the want to bring the dead back. The monks who guarded the relic decided that the power was too much for any to hold, and broke the relic into four parts, and scattered them across the region. Legend also tells of four fearsome beasts who guard each part of the relic. These fabled sites have become known as “Ethereal Gates”.

You begin your Pokémon journey in a rather unexpected way--you’re dragged along by a friend with a bit too much passion for Pokémon research. But before long you become enthralled with Pokémon as well, and begin working for the Pokémon Professor, Hawthorne, on completing his Pokédex project. To test your strength, you encounter Gym Leaders throughout the region, and you also encounter the evil Team Mythos, whose nefarious plans just may put the entire world in jeopardy!

Fernling ♦ Kittorch ♦ Bubull

CHARACTERS
    In Pokémon Ethereal Gates, you have a choice to play as either a boy or a girl. Like in most Pokémon games, this character is the silent protagonist--sort of a blank slate that you can imprint yourself onto. We have taken great care in crafting our cast of memorable characters!

FEATURES
    Pokémon Ethereal Gates is made using RPG Maker XP with the Pokémon Essentials Script Base and includes...
    ♦ over 200 brand new never-before-seen Pokémon!
    ♦ completely new region with very diverse terrain, based on New Zealand!
    ♦ completely original orchestrated music!
    ♦ 3D cutscenes!
    ♦ a larger screen resolution!
    ♦ redesigned menu interfaces!

SCREENSHOTS
    Subject to change*

GAMEPLAY TRAILER!!

MUSIC
    We've crafted a completely original soundtrack for Pokémon Ethereal Gates! We hope that this will make each area just a tad bit more special.

Title Theme (Extended)

ROUTE 1

Show Me Around!(tour guide theme)

CREDITS
    The Perihelion Productions Team
    Evan Starr (Starrcasm(DA) starrmyt(PC))
    Mark Baldino (SirAquakip(DA) aquakip(PC))
    Aaron Schmitz (Nebaku(DA) BadSamaritan(PC))
    Sean Petersen
    Josh Leung
    Pokémon Essentials by
    Flameguru
    Poccil
    Maruno
    Other Script Thanks to
    Klein Studio
    Luka S.J.
    Shiney570
    KCG
    Pokémon by
    GAME FREAK
    Nintendo
    Creatures inc.
    Additional Thanks to
    Marc Azria
    Scott Geldzahler
    Sam Gelman
    "Senor Shyza"
    "Squirt05"
    "DRaB"
    Eric Chen
    Alessio Zisa
    Rob Wickline
    Amanda Spivack

ALSO FIND US AT

Support Us!
    Spoiler:
    [*url="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=347265"][*IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6Sbezmu.png?1[/IMG][/url]
    Just remove the asterisks!

DOWNLOAD LINKS!!!!

FOR PC: http://goo.gl/6cXtQA

FOR MAC: http://goo.gl/ok8zUg
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAC: https://www.reddit.com/r/legendsofthearena/comments/1yga3w/tutorial_to_play_on_mac/

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 12th, 2015 (2:16 PM).
    Food Lover

Nature: Lax
      I am so looking forward to this.
      Old April 12th, 2015 (4:52 PM).

Now I don't want to fall victim to any hype of whatnot, or find myself throwing around strong adjectives and praise, but I can honestly say this is certainly the greatest thing to ever be created in all of the history of mankind.
        Old April 13th, 2015 (7:15 AM).
        Survivor

Nature: Relaxed
          Looks pretty interesting! I never gave Pokemon games from RPG maker a try, but I'll defenitely try this one
          Old April 13th, 2015 (8:19 AM).
          clout

Nature: Relaxed
          Just saw this on Reddit, and I gotta say it looks really intriguing! Good luck with this project.
          Old April 13th, 2015 (9:07 AM).

Found this on Reddit too, pretty excited!
            Old April 13th, 2015 (11:26 AM).
            Jealous Croatian

Nature: Adamant
              So...who's the main coder for the game? (just curious).

I'd recommend using a darker colour for the item list in the bag interface. Clashing with the light background like that, really makes it difficult to read. The shadow helps, but not enough. Just make sure the font contrasts the background clearly. I also find the "overlapping" trees to look a little weird the way they are. They end abruptly when in contact with another. (I'm not a huge fan of that "HP" and "EXP" font either)

But that's all the C&C feedback I can give on the screenshots you provided us with. I'm sure you guys get enough praise already, so I don't feel the need to repeat all that.

Old April 13th, 2015 (11:43 AM).
              Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
                So...who's the main coder for the game? (just curious).

I'd recommend using a darker colour for the item list in the bag interface. Clashing with the light background like that, really makes it difficult to read. The shadow helps, but not enough. Just make sure the font contrasts the background clearly. I also find the "overlapping" trees to look a little weird the way they are. They end abruptly when in contact with another. (I'm not a huge fan of that "HP" and "EXP" font either)

But that's all the C&C feedback I can give on the screenshots you provided us with. I'm sure you guys get enough praise already, so I don't feel the need to repeat all that.
                Thanks for the C&C Luka! We'll keep that in mind! Of course everything in the game is still very much in the works and subject to change. Our main coder of the game is Aaron Schmitz (Nebaku). We're still looking for another coder, someone with extensive knowledge of Ruby Scripting.
                Old April 13th, 2015 (5:39 PM).

Are there gonna be real Pokemon in it? 'Cause I'm kinda partial to games that include the original 721, personally.
                  Old April 14th, 2015 (6:52 PM).

The art direction on this project is quite impressive. I look forward to seeing future updates!

Old April 15th, 2015 (8:18 AM). Edited April 15th, 2015 by Shgeldz.

Hey everyone!

So I've put together a subreddit where you can keep up with some more in-depth updates for the game, as well as create polls, fan art, and other things.

http://www.reddit.com/r/etherealgates/

There's some Q&A with the team as well which is awesome, and also some newly revealed art/information about Bubull (and perhaps more to come!)

In addition, here's the other stuff for the project if you want to follow!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/etherealgates
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/etherealgates
                      Tumblr: http://pokemonetherealgates.tumblr.com/
                      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBkNvbQ9AOAEpFNASyvGe0w
                      Deviantart: http://perihelion-projects.deviantart.com/?hc_location=ufi
                      Old April 15th, 2015 (1:10 PM).

Am I sensing some sort of Darwin/Beak of the Finch with Avinch and Professor Hawthorne?
                        Old April 18th, 2015 (2:37 PM).
                        Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by .kirakinn. View Post
                          Am I sensing some sort of Darwin/Beak of the Finch with Avinch and Professor Hawthorne?
                          Haha nope, that was just a happy accident! If Professor Hawthorne has a connection to any pokemon, it would be Haibril, the pokemon you see in the third screenshot.
                          Old April 18th, 2015 (7:13 PM).
                          Memer.

I actually made an account just to say, this is amazing. Honestly I have never seen this much work put into things such as art and the new pokemon.
                            Oddly enough I'm usually against new regions and fakemons, but this game looks like it'll pull it off.
                            Old April 19th, 2015 (2:36 PM).
                            PerihelionProductions PerihelionProductions is offline
                            Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by WinterWonter View Post
                              I actually made an account just to say, this is amazing. Honestly I have never seen this much work put into things such as art and the new pokemon.
                              Oddly enough I'm usually against new regions and fakemons, but this game looks like it'll pull it off.
                              Wow, that's quite the compliment Winter, it's much appreciated!(though pokecommunity is awesome, do check the rest of the place out in your spare time)

And yes, we are trying to emulate the quality of a new pokemon release best we can. Obviously by using rpgmaker xp and essentials we are slightly limited on the software front of that, but we hope the quality of the story/sound/graphics will all make up for that. Thanks for the interest :)
                              Old April 20th, 2015 (11:34 PM).
                              exile

Nature: Adamant
                              Looks really cool, I might touch up the HP bars a bit, "Avinch Lv 4" looks misaligned.

paired to kaori & vrai
                              Old April 21st, 2015 (5:49 PM).

I cannot wait for this game to come out! it looks so good and the story sounds captivating. you guys did a great job making this game so far, keep up the good work! ill be following this games progress closely:)
                                Old April 22nd, 2015 (10:31 AM).

Check out some more info on the starters in this Facebook Album!
                                  https://www.facebook.com/etherealgates/photos_stream
                                  Old April 24th, 2015 (3:12 PM).
                                  Lord

It looks pretty good so far. It's nice to see, when people actually put some work into graphics/sound design. However, it would by far not be the first game that features a custom region and custom Pokemon. I'm also more of a gameplay fan, anyway, so it would be neat to know, if there's going to be new gameplay elements as well. You know, something that fills the void that's created because of the lack of multiplayer options, that also adds something unique to your game, simply because all the other fangames don't have that. Something that actually makes me like "Oh, this feature is awesome. I totally want to play this game over the million other fangames out there that just all feel like carbon copies of each other."
                                  Old April 25th, 2015 (6:23 AM).
                                  Lord

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by BadSamaritan View Post
                                  Now, without a dedicated coder(I do it but don't like it), that's not easy to achieve. I can say this though, I personally am working on a new gameplay element that will be present in the demo. With that in mind, assuming we can get 1-2 people more interested in coding, we would have every intention of adding even more elements in the full release.!
                                  I believe, it is possible to add new gameplay mechanics, without even needing to write a single line of Ruby code, that's also relatively easy to build. One example that comes to my mind is that sneaking/disguise scene in Pokemon Insurgance. Since you don't have any Pokemon, you have to solve your problem (escaping from the evil guys) and what better way than disguising yourself and then sneaking out of their reach? That would also create interesting scenarios in later parts of the game, because you can give the player options: does he want to enter the building of the evil guys by the front door, where has to fight his way through hordes of Grunts, or does he rather take the secret path, disguise himself and sneak in, while avoiding being caught. Giving exclusive rewards for doing things differently also creates replay value, because the player wants to know, what happens if he takes the other route he didn't pick while playing the last time and all it takes are the sprite of the player character and a couple switches that control NPC behavior (and obviously you have to dedicate part of your level design for that purpose, but that's something coders don't need to deal with).

Now, that definitely doesn mean that I want you to build said feature into your game, because what gameplay you can use highly depends on what game you want to create and I certainly am not allowed to dictate you how to build your game. It's rather an example to illustrate what I mean with "new gameplay mechanics". :)
                                  Old April 25th, 2015 (8:32 AM).

This looks really cool i can not wait
                                    Old April 27th, 2015 (6:49 AM).
                                    Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Nature: Hasty
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by BadSamaritan View Post
                                      Well that's not a gameplay mechanic, that's simply eventing, which is not my department. Needless to say the eventing in our game is top notch and should not disappoint.
                                      Ooh ooh eventing is MY department! And yes, you'll be sure to see some eventual "doing things differently" based events that will add some replay-ability to the game for sure, don't worry...though I'm not entirely sure how much of that you'd see in the demo. For now, though, we're just working to make the events and game experience feel as smooth as possible.
                                      Old April 29th, 2015 (6:54 AM).
                                      Wise words of FizzyStardust

I won't lie, this seems really ambitious, but I hope you pull it off, it seems to have the making of a great Pokemon game.
                                        Old April 29th, 2015 (6:44 PM).
                                        PerihelionProductions PerihelionProductions is offline
                                        Pokémon Ethereal Gates

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Lockmaster24 View Post
                                          I won't lie, this seems really ambitious, but I hope you pull it off, it seems to have the making of a great Pokemon game.
                                          Aw man thanks so much, Lockmaster! We're certainly with you on hoping we can pull it off, but we feel pretty confident we'll be able to do so.

ALSO, here's a brand new update! It's the Rival Battle Music from Pokémon Ethereal Gates! Enjoy!

Old April 30th, 2015 (4:09 AM).

Oh my god that music.

Quick Reply