• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I'm having a strange error. First I save the game, then sometimes when I load it, it will display the save menu "would you like to save," etc. It's possible that it may be a problem with my menu (it's a common event). The important part is written like this:

Script:pbSaveScreen

Control Switches: [0052: Menu]=OFF
    Exit Event Processing

Here's the pbSaveScreen script:
    Spoiler:
    Also, something similar happens when using the HM Fly. It shows the pokemon animation for HMs over the menu, never closes it, and the menu is still open when you reach the area you flew to.

EDIT: I finished a simple script to allow different eggs for different pokemon based on their type. In PokemonUtilities, find:

Spoiler:
    and replace it with:
    Spoiler:
    This finds the appropriate egg based on type1. So, if you want to support dual-types with this, you will have to make some small modifications (I didn't bother with it since there's a very large number of combinations, and most people try new matchups with fakemon anyways). Note: You must have images named egg1, egg2, egg3, etc., up to egg17, in the Graphics/Pictures directory. It has been tested, and it works.

Last edited:

Valora17

Something Memorable?
    Years
    What do I have to edit in order to make the default screen size 240x160? The 480x320 is irritating when I'm playtesting to see if the graphics work how they should.

EDIT: Also, how do I change the default player overworld? I tried and now it has a purple box around it >>;

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    What do I have to edit in order to make the default screen size 240x160? The 480x320 is irritating when I'm playtesting to see if the graphics work how they should.

EDIT: Also, how do I change the default player overworld? I tried and now it has a purple box around it >>;

Open the options menu on the loading screen, before you choose load game. There should be a screen size option that you can change. Also, the purple box means that you didn't use the Import Resources command (in between the Script Editor icon and the Database icon). When you import a graphic that way, you simply click the background before choosing OK, and it sets that color to transparent.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
    I have a huge error. When I open up Pokemon Olivine Version, it shows an error message saying:

"Unexpected File Format"

Any advice on what to do?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    How would I go about changing the default font to a different colour? Thanks.

I don't know about the default, but when you input text using the Show Text command, you can specify the color you want (search the notes, it explains it). If you're wanting the color to apply to every message in the game, then of course this would be an awful lot of work. It's most likely in SpriteWindow, as I just tried and managed to changed the menu text colors. You'll have to toy around to find what numbers are what color, and I don't think there's a universal text that applies to everything, so you should search for the word "color" in SpriteWindow, and see what you can find. Different places affect different areas of text in the game, so try different things until you find the one you're looking for. (also, I recommend copy and pasting the codes that determine the colors, so that you don't forget what the original color was if you make a mistake).

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I don't know about the default, but when you input text using the Show Text command, you can specify the color you want (search the notes, it explains it). If you're wanting the color to apply to every message in the game, then of course this would be an awful lot of work. It's most likely in SpriteWindow, as I just tried and managed to changed the menu text colors. You'll have to toy around to find what numbers are what color, and I don't think there's a universal text that applies to everything, so you should search for the word "color" in SpriteWindow, and see what you can find. Different places affect different areas of text in the game, so try different things until you find the one you're looking for. (also, I recommend copy and pasting the codes that determine the colors, so that you don't forget what the original color was if you make a mistake).
    There isn't. Every individual screen (Party/Pokédex/Bag/etc. etc.) defines its own text colours (very inefficient). Unless you want to change every single bit of text in the game to a different colour, then it might just be better to set (dialogue) message colours as they come up. You'd have to do a lot of browsing to figure out what one colour change does to the entire game.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Pokemon Essentials RMXP Starter Kit Bugs:
    Build: 3/6/2010 [Let me update and see if this has already been fixed]

Code:
    Exception: NameError
    Message: undefined local variable or method `mapid' for #<Scene_Debug:0x4fab600>
    PokemonDebug:977:in `pbDebugMenu'
    PokemonDebug:924:in `loop'
    PokemonDebug:1136:in `pbDebugMenu'
    PokemonDebug:1260:in `main'
    Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'
    Main:16:in `mainFunction'
    Main:16:in `pbCriticalCode'
    Main:16:in `mainFunction'
    Main:49
    Main:48:in `loop'
    Graphics Bug:
    Problem: Sand autotile appears as a black stripe.
    Picture: See Attachment
    EDIT: Hope it's not an ID10T error(s).

Last edited:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    I have a huge error. When I open up Pokemon Olivine Version, it shows an error message saying:

"Unexpected File Format"

Any advice on what to do?

Open up RPG Maker and create a new project. Copy Paste all of your game data except game.rxproj into your new project folder. Say yes to all the conformation boxes. Enjoy your game back.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    I'm still getting this error when I run I wild battle the March 15 version:
    Code:
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: NoMethodError

PokeBattle_Battle:523:in `pbSetSeen'

PokeBattle_Battle:638:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:549:in `pbStartBattle'

PokemonField:753:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:752:in `pbSceneStandby'

PokemonField:754:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:751:in `pbBattleAnimation'

PokemonField:751:in `pbWildBattle'

PokemonField:1069:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'

PokemonField:1092:in `pbOnStepTaken'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK   

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    SpawnHyuuga said:
    Pokemon Essentials RMXP Starter Kit Bugs:
    Build: 3/6/2010 [Let me update and see if this has already been fixed]

I'm not sure what causes it, as it was happening to me too. However, it randomly stopped doing it recently. I think it has something to do with how autotiles are supported. I found that a regular 96x128 autotile sometimes appears black (it doesn't load the image or something), but a double wide autotile, where the exact same image is placed twice in a row works perfectly. However, as I said, it's stopped happening, and now regular autotiles work fine for me, so perhaps it has to do with the compiler or something.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2010
    I am very new so I hope you guys can help me
    When ever I have a battle with a trainer I get this error:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)
    Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
    PokemonTrainers:411:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    PokemonTrainers:410:in `pbSceneStandby'
    PokemonTrainers:412:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbBattleAnimation'
    PokemonTrainers:409:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    (eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:785:in `eval'
    Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:785:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:196:in `update'
    Scene_Map:96:in `update'
    Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:107:in `update'
    Scene_Map:63:in `main'

Whenever I battle A Wild Pokemon I get this error:
    Exception: NoMethodError
    PokeBattle_Battle:523:in `pbSetSeen'
    PokeBattle_Battle:638:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    PokemonField:753:in `pbWildBattle'
    PokemonField:752:in `pbSceneStandby'
    PokemonField:754:in `pbWildBattle'
    PokemonField:751:in `pbBattleAnimation'
    PokemonField:751:in `pbWildBattle'
    PokemonField:1069:in `pbBattleOnStepTaken'
    PokemonField:1092:in `pbOnStepTaken'
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Message: Section069:711:in `pbStartBattleCore'Player trainer must be only one person in single battles

Also is there a way to have more than eight badges and to raise maximum level of Pokemon?
    Well Im new so I don't know the answers to all my questions.

Also does anyone Know how you put the codes in the wrap so I don't get Aipom everytime I post a code?!?

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I am very new so I hope you guys can help me
    When ever I have a battle with a trainer I get this error:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("A very good battle, indeed."),false,0)
    I just messed around and found that exact error. It seems you are using a dependent event, and then trying to battle a single trainer. I don't know how to fix it, but the dependent event is most likely the problem. Deregister your partner and see if you can battle.

Whenever I battle A Wild Pokemon I get this error:
    I don't know about this one, as it worked just fine with a dependent event (I did the testing using an unmodified starter kit). Did you change the intro? Make sure the trainer is defined (there should be a pbChangePlayer() command in the intro. If it doesn't have that, then a many things won't work.

Also is there a way to have more than eight badges and to raise maximum level of Pokemon?
    Well Im new so I don't know the answers to all my questions.
    Go to PBExperience in the scripts and find MAXLEVEL=100, then modify 100 to whatever you want (you will likely have to edit your summary menu somewhat if you make the level too high, as anything higher than 3 digits (stats wise) runs off. As for more badges, I think you modify the array in PokeBattle_Trainer. Go to line 136 and change the for i in 0..7 (0 is counted, so it makes 8 badges), to something like i in 0..15 (for 16 badges). I tried it, and it didn't give any errors. Also, you'll need to add graphics for the badges and determine their placement on the trainer card (otherwise you won't see them, but it should be a fairly small edit to the scripts).

Also does anyone Know how you put the codes in the wrap so I don't get Aipom everytime I post a code?!?
    I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's about the Aipom in you post? If you're posting a code, but the word CODE in brackets the exact same way you do with QUOTE.
    i.e. (CODE)Insert random text.(/CODE), but make the brackets square, not round.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Is it normal that my game lags a bit? My computer is pretty recent... does it lag a bit for you too? How to correct that?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Is it normal that my game lags a bit? My computer is pretty recent... does it lag a bit for you too? How to correct that?
    If you have a large number of events all in the same area, you'll probably get some lag. It shouldn't lag during regular play though (however, I've noticed that sometimes a map will take much longer than normal to load for no apparent reason, and then be fine later).

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    I finished a simple script to allow different eggs for different pokemon based on their type. In PokemonUtilities, find:

Spoiler:
    and replace it with:
    Spoiler:
    This finds the appropriate egg based on type1. So, if you want to support dual-types with this, you will have to make some small modifications (I didn't bother with it since there's a very large number of combinations, and most people try new matchups with fakemon anyways). Note: You must have images named egg1, egg2, egg3, etc., up to egg17, in the Graphics/Pictures directory. It has been tested, and it works.

You could do that long branch of elsifs, but why bother when you can just set it to
    Code:
    if pokemon.egg?
       return AnimatedBitmap.new(sprintf("Graphics/Pictures/egg%02d",pokemon.type1))
      end
    and just name your images accordingly (the same way you did with your own method), just note that numbers from 0 to 9 should have a 0 in front of them , so flying would be "egg06.png"

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    If you have a large number of events all in the same area, you'll probably get some lag. It shouldn't lag during regular play though (however, I've noticed that sometimes a map will take much longer than normal to load for no apparent reason, and then be fine later).
    That large number being?
    I dont think I have more than 15 or so

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
    Is there a way for my game to save what music is currently playing when I log back into my game save? I want the game to remember the song thats playing when I save my game. I think its a marshal load/dump function, but I don't know much about scripting, can someone help me?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back