• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
  • I was wondering if anyone has edited the starter kit to use bigger battle sprites, or knows how to do it. I have all the Black and White sprites, but I'd rather not resize them as that would take a long time.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I was wondering if anyone has edited the starter kit to use bigger battle sprites, or knows how to do it. I have all the Black and White sprites, but I'd rather not resize them as that would take a long time.

The game displays sprites by whatever size the image is. So basically, either you have to resize all the old ones or all the new ones.

What I did, was I used the 'batch processing' in XnView to scale up all the HGSS pokemon pokemon sprites to 200% with the nearest neighbor filter(Retains pixelation), and used batch rename to make the match the name scheme for their proper categories (Such as 493b for arceus' backsprite), and I got everything don exactly as I needed is within 10 minutes. You could do something similar for the Trainers in essentials if you want to.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • The game displays sprites by whatever size the image is. So basically, either you have to resize all the old ones or all the new ones.

What I did, was I used the 'batch processing' in XnView to scale up all the HGSS pokemon pokemon sprites to 200% with the nearest neighbor filter(Retains pixelation), and used batch rename to make the match the name scheme for their proper categories (Such as 493b for arceus' backsprite), and I got everything don exactly as I needed is within 10 minutes. You could do something similar for the Trainers in essentials if you want to.

So in order to do this I need all the sprites to be 80x80. By that I mean the Pokemon sprites, because those are the ones I plan on adding. Should I delete all the old sprites and add the new ones, or leave them as place holders?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • So in order to do this I need all the sprites to be 80x80. By that I mean the Pokemon sprites, because those are the ones I plan on adding. Should I delete all the old sprites and add the new ones, or leave them as place holders?

Keep them as placeholders, and replace them once you've everything done.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Is it possible to find type1 and type2 of a pokemon based on it's species? I'm not exactly sure how types work, but it looks as though types are used to describe a pokemon (as well ID, name, nature, etc.) rather than the actual species.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is it possible to find type1 and type2 of a pokemon based on it's species? I'm not exactly sure how types work, but it looks as though types are used to describe a pokemon (as well ID, name, nature, etc.) rather than the actual species.
    A brief look at the code reveals that this is exactly what it does - the ".type1" command finds and returns the primary type of the species of the Pokémon in question (as defined in pokemon.txt), not the primary type of that specific Pokémon. This saves having to store types for every single Pokémon, when pokemon.txt works just as well and takes up less space.

For example, you have a Bulbasaur at the front of your party. The code $Trainer.party[0].type1 will return Grass (well, the number corresponding to Grass, anyway) because that is the primary type of Pokémon of the species Bulbasaur.

HOWEVER, that only applies to Pokémon that don't have alternate forms defined. If the Pokémon in question's species does have alternate forms defined, then the types returned are listed in PokemonMultipleForms instead and depend on the form of that specific Pokémon (even if it would be the default type anyway). See Shaymin/Wormadam/Arceus in that script section for examples.

It is important to note the difference here: by default the commands will return the types associated with the species (from pokemon.txt), UNLESS the Pokémon's species has alternate forms defined; in which case the type returned also depends on that specific Pokémon's form (from PokemonMultipleForms).

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    A brief look at the code reveals that this is exactly what it does - the ".type1" command finds and returns the primary type of the species of the Pokémon in question (as defined in pokemon.txt), not the primary type of that specific Pokémon. This saves having to store types for every single Pokémon, when pokemon.txt works just as well and takes up less space.

For example, you have a Bulbasaur at the front of your party. The code $Trainer.party[0].type1 will return Grass (well, the number corresponding to Grass, anyway) because that is the primary type of Pokémon of the species Bulbasaur.

HOWEVER, that only applies to Pokémon that don't have alternate forms defined. If the Pokémon in question's species does have alternate forms defined, then the types returned are listed in PokemonMultipleForms instead and depend on the form of that specific Pokémon (even if it would be the default type anyway). See Shaymin/Wormadam/Arceus in that script section for examples.

It is important to note the difference here: by default the commands will return the types associated with the species (from pokemon.txt), UNLESS the Pokémon's species has alternate forms defined; in which case the type returned also depends on that specific Pokémon's form (from PokemonMultipleForms).
    I see what you're saying. The issue is that the pokemon I'm trying to return the type for doesn't actually exist. So, I basically need something like species.type1, which gives an error. And of course, simply setting pokemon to species and using pokemon.type1 is the exact same. For example, say I wanted to return Charmander's type. I'm not referencing an existing charmander, just that particular species. So I couldn't use $Trainer.party[0].type1, since it's not in the party (or boxes, or in battle).

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2013
    Hi guys, i need help!!
    the battle trainers is not working
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: RuntimeError

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: Section066:526:in `__mf_initialize'undefined method `language' for #<PokeBattle_Trainer:0xa3e8800>

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(::PBTrainers::INTERVIEWERS,"Kris & Red",_I("Very good job."),true)

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokemonMultipleForms:38:in `initialize'

PokemonTrainers:20:in `new'

PokemonTrainers:20:in `pbLoadTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:17:in `each'

PokemonTrainers:17:in `pbLoadTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:8:in `each'

PokemonTrainers:8:in `pbLoadTrainer'

PokemonTrainers:312:in `pbTrainerBattle'

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:785:in `command_111'

Interpreter:318:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:191:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:196:in `update'

Scene_Map:96:in `update'

Scene_Map:94:in `loop'

Scene_Map:107:in `update'

Scene_Map:63:in `main'

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    Aceptar

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    I have several questions, (I think they are easy to solve but I can not find the solution):

1) I am trying to create a florist shop with the script of the pokemon market, but it gives me error, I think it's because the berries are not recognized as objects that you can buy or sell (seems that the pokemart script changed in the last versions, my version is 2008).
    2) How I can modify the script of berries for the different types of fertilizer to take effect?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I have several questions, (I think they are easy to solve but I can not find the solution):

1) I am trying to create a florist shop with the script of the pokemon market, but it gives me error, I think it's because the berries are not recognized as objects that you can buy or sell (seems that the pokemart script changed in the last versions, my version is 2008).
    2) How I can modify the script of berries for the different types of fertilizer to take effect?
    1. I threw together a quick shop event to try it, and didn't notice any problem. It could have just been a syntax error, as berries are defined in items.txt. Here's what I used:

pbPokemonMart([
    PBItems::CHERIBERRY,
    PBItems::CHESTOBERRY,
    PBItems::PECHABERRY
    ])

2. First, the fertilizer has to be properly defined in items.txt. Then, in the berry event, you should make a check to see the player's quantity. To do that, use this in a conditional branch:
    $PokemonBag.pbQuantity(::PBItems::POTION)

Just change potion to whatever the fertilizer is. Then, in the true portion of the conditional branch, subtract the item from the bag like this:
    $PokemonBag.pbDeleteItem(::PBItems::POTION), add some text to let the player know what happened, and then apply the effects to the berry. I'm not too sure on the last part since I haven't messed with berries too much, and I don't know exactly what the fertilizer is supposed to do without knowing more about how berries work.

@Lucario_XP: send me a snapshot of the event setup so I can see if there's a problem in the setup.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    1. Thanks, it was as you said, there was a misplaced comma, but so far I could not find the error, thanks.

2. Basically there are different types of fertilizer, for example one serves to accelerate the process of berry growth and mature earlier, etc, how could you add this to the script of berries?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I see what you're saying. The issue is that the pokemon I'm trying to return the type for doesn't actually exist. So, I basically need something like species.type1, which gives an error. And of course, simply setting pokemon to species and using pokemon.type1 is the exact same. For example, say I wanted to return Charmander's type. I'm not referencing an existing charmander, just that particular species. So I couldn't use $Trainer.party[0].type1, since it's not in the party (or boxes, or in battle).
    Ah, I see.

No, as you've found, ".type1" only works on specific Pokémon. However, you could take the code found inside the def type1 in PokeBattle_Pokemon and "adapt" it rather easily to the following:

Code:
    dexdata=pbOpenDexData
    pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,[COLOR=Red]species[/COLOR],8)
    [COLOR=Red]type1[/COLOR]=dexdata.fgetb
    dexdata.close
    Pretty much nothing was changed here, actually. "species" is either the National Dex number of the species you want, or "PBSpecies::BULBASAUR", depending on what you find easier to use (I would suggest the latter). The thing you'll use afterwards is "type1" (remember that it's the number, not the name of the type).

For the secondary type, use "9" instead of "8".

Just pop those four lines of code in your event or wherever it is you want to use them. Something similar can be done with all the other species-related info (e.g. abilities, moveset, body colour, etc.).

2. Basically there are different types of fertilizer, for example one serves to accelerate the process of berry growth and mature earlier, etc, how could you add this to the script of berries?
    With difficulty. I couldn't help you anyway, as I haven't so much as glanced at the berry scripts (and am unlikely to do so).

Kronos

Shooting Star
    Years
  • A Quick question. I'm trying to code a button to press on a two screen script. I have the code pretty much set, but I cannot find in what script or what line the game waits for the confirm key to be pressed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks =]

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Ah, I see.

No, as you've found, ".type1" only works on specific Pokémon. However, you could take the code found inside the def type1 in PokeBattle_Pokemon and "adapt" it rather easily to the following:

Code:
    dexdata=pbOpenDexData
    pbDexDataOffset(dexdata,[COLOR=Red]species[/COLOR],8)
    [COLOR=Red]type1[/COLOR]=dexdata.fgetb
    dexdata.close
    Pretty much nothing was changed here, actually. "species" is either the National Dex number of the species you want, or "PBSpecies::BULBASAUR", depending on what you find easier to use (I would suggest the latter). The thing you'll use afterwards is "type1" (remember that it's the number, not the name of the type).

For the secondary type, use "9" instead of "8".

Just pop those four lines of code in your event or wherever it is you want to use them. Something similar can be done with all the other species-related info (e.g. abilities, moveset, body colour, etc.).
    Thanks. I did most of that but messed it up about halfway.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I noticed something interesting today while walking around in game.

I have one map that extends along a Y axis. Player walks north to south. The bottom half of the map will lag a considerable amount when I start walking around in it. When I walk out the southern exit to the next map, that map lags as well. If I return to the north part of the first map it stops, and when I take the west exit of the second map that lags, it also stops.

Any idea what is causing this?

It might be important to note that there are no scripts or objects that I have placed in these maps, they are just empty worlds with tiles.

Zadow

Pokemon Ebony Developer
    Years
  • I'm really sorry if this has been asked before but I've got no clue what to do.
    I've received an error message upon launching the game.
    I haven't done anything with essentials for a while and last time I checked it was working.
    All I've done since then is make a new map and get half way through mapping it -.-'

I'm also accompanied by a second and third error message when I try to launch the editor.

FIRST - RMXP GAME LAUNCHING
    Spoiler:

SECOND - EDITOR LAUNCHING

Picture in attachments because it's not a normal Copy+Paste error.

THRID - AFTER OK-ing SECOND ERROR

Spoiler:

I tried replacing my data folder with an older backup but didn't change anything :S I'd upgrade my version of essentials but I'm 1. Not sure if it's even functional after looking at this thread. 2. Would have to replace some scripts that I'm not sure how to. and 3. Would be a pain.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

SOLVED!
    After a while and the process of elimination it turned out to be a corrupt map, and no, not the new one I'd started working on.
    Thanks for reading anyway.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back