• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonzap

the 1337 lemonmeister
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 23, 2013
how do i change the starting location in pokemon emerald? I want to move it out of the van into a house.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
how do i change the starting location in pokemon emerald? I want to move it out of the van into a house.

You could just change the van map to wherever you want the first map to be. The player would probably still start in the same coordinates of the map, but that is easier than doing some more in depth hacking. You would also want to get rid of or replace the level scripts there.

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
1. how do you change the textbox in firered?
2. how do you make the player look at the person thats gonna challenge you in firered?
3. how do you change the colors in the intro for firered?

Years
1. NSE Classic has a bookmark that holds the images for the textboxes which you can edit.
2. I believe there is a discussion on that in the Research and Development subforum.
3. Palette editing; there are many tutorials on it in the Tutorials subforum. Use the Search Function and use key words like "palette" and "edit".

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
mrjimi16 said:
It depends on what exactly you want the script to do. For example, there is already a script to make the player face up in his room. That is just a simple level script. Of course, you are limited in what you can do with it; what do you want to do with it? Also, how do I change the palette that my world map is using?

Well, I was thinking about a "cut scene" sort of thing. So if I put a level script on the hero start map, will it activate as soon as the game starts?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Can someone tell me how, or where there's a tutorial, to/on inserting new hero sprites into the opening of the game where you choose your name and all that? I don't mean OWs, and I don't mean regular trainer sprites, I need to know how to change the 256 colors one that's in the intro, and preferably using nse. Thank you. ^^

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
Well, I was thinking about a "cut scene" sort of thing. So if I put a level script on the hero start map, will it activate as soon as the game starts?

Hmm. I am unsure of whether or not that would work. To be sure, I don't see a reason why you couldn't, but unforeseen troubles have a habit of sneaking up on you. I am by no means an expert in level scripts. I know that the third type of level script is the kind that is used to make the player face up before being shown on the screen. The second type is probably the one you want to use and is triggered by a variable that has a specific value. I am going to assume that your cut scene is separated from the main timeline of the game as apposed to one that gives the player control directly after it is over (meaning without moving to a different map - for example, my sister had an idea of using some sort of past event as the reason the hero goes on his adventure and that event would have to be presented as a flashback). If it is not something like that, you could just use a regular script.

Still, if you are set on doing a level script, it is kind of hard for me to determine without knowing exactly what you want to do, almost down to the commands you want to use. The commands you can use depends on which type of level script you use which determines when the script will be started. If it were me, I would just create my script, verify that it works as a regular script, and then try the different types of level scripts. If I can't get it to work, I then try to find a way that I can get it to work. For example, in my flashback script, if I couldn't get it to work, I might try expanding the player room map and use a move camera script to use a different sprite as the hero until I was done. There is a lot of stuff that you can do with scripting. Your creativity with the commands you have is the best tool you have. I would be willing to help you out further with this if you need some help.

There was a guy earlier trying to figure a way to take away a person's Pokemon that I gave some direction to and I'll post this in that post as well, but I found a special that "checks for a pokemon species in the party. pokemon number wanted is stored in 0x8004, returns to given variable 0x1 if there is one," special 0x17c. I am not sure what numbers correspond to which Pokemon, but a few minutes of testing should help with that. To use it, you would set the number of the Pokemon you need to variable 0x8004 (setvar 0x8004 0xXXXX, not sure how many numbers, make sure it is in hex) then follow it up with special2 0xXXXX 0x17C replacing the XXXX with the variable. You would then make the special to remove the Pokemon only continue/activate when that variable has a value of 0x1.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday

Wait for JPAN/Jambo to complete his patch.

If I recall, that's only for Firered at the moment. It's Chaos Rush that's doing it for Ruby, and he's started it again so it will take a while.

EDIT: He's refocused to Firered too, so as of this moment, Ruby is an unknown as to whether it will have a patch like this.

The_Show

Banned
Years
Two questions:

1. What is the Ruby unLZ number for the "HOENN" you see when looking at a pokecenter map? I know 1598 changes the Pokenav "HOENN", but I need a number to change the one on the regular map.

2. If you've played LoG, you know that there are 'signposts' that show you the regular map. I want to duplicate this, but there is no script for the maps you use inside the pokemon center. How would I 'transfer' the pokemon maps inside the center onto certain signposts?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
If I recall, that's only for Firered at the moment. It's Chaos Rush that's doing it for Ruby, and he's started it again so it will take a while.

EDIT: He's refocused to Firered too, so as of this moment, Ruby is an unknown as to whether it will have a patch like this.
I see... well I kinda thought they could try to do it for Ruby as well...

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday

They might, but I think that it is unknown as to when it is ready. I'm unsure as to whether the Pokedex's are the same, but all I know is - no one is at the moment doing anything for Ruby involving 649 Pokemon, only Firered has been confirmed.

Years
Please Give Me Solution. I Was Download NSE from Pokecommunity. I Test NSE Not work. whereas I'd Install Net Framework 3.5 SP1 with all. YAPE also not Work. Please Give Me Solution. My Laptop type is cen aur with centrine duo processor. Microsoft Windows XP SP 3

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

Ruby is not impossible to do, but it is highly impractical. In FireRed and Emerald, the Pokédex's memory space is allocated by a Malloc, which you pass the length needed, and it automatically assigns enough memory for the length you need. All the reads/writes to it are calculated by using the Malloc, meaning it automatically reads/writes to the correct places.

In Ruby, the Pokédex has a set memory location. All the data which is required for the dex to run is placed after the end of the Pokémon data, which is precisely long enough for 386 species. In order to extend the dex, you need to manually repoint every reference to the Dex data which follows the Pokémon data.

Do you see why this is impractical? It may be possible, but it's extremely difficult to get every single pointer.

When I had a look at it for Chaos Rush, I found some 30 or so pointers (and even then, it still didn't work!)

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2012
Sprites and back sprites

I have two quick questions.

1 I have been trying edit the back sprites of the emerald male hero to make it look like Red (from FR) I've found them in Tile Molester (00D6F980 in case anyone wants to avoid the 9 hours of searching the web that it took me to find it). But to my horror after shifting them around and editing them, the changes don't stick when put into game. Any advice? I've spent hours trying to change this... its infuriating -.-

2 I I've taken the sprites and palettes from FR and placed them into emerald using Overworld Editor Re. However i noticed a little graphical glitch where the right eye on the character is bigger than the other. I've checked my sprites they shouldn't look like that. any ideas?

===========================================================================================================
Pokemon Emerald Back Sprites :P

Just leaving a trail for any Newbs (like myself :P) to follow in case they are trying to edit the back sprites for Emerald :P
it was a nightmare trying to find this information :P

In TMA the offset to locate the sprite for Brendan was 00d66480
and the palette in APE is 00D61A30
I followed this thread (revived this morning :P lucky me :P)
[Graphics] How To Edit the Backsprite of Pokemon Fire Red (Picture AND Palette)
sorry cant use hyper links yet :P just search the tutorial forums. it is for FR, however it will work with Emerald :P good luck guys! Happy hacking!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back