• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Are fan game names important to you?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just as the title says, are fan game names important to you?
    Developers often strive for a decent name for their game, but how important is it really? Of course you can't name it something ridiculous that is completely unrelated to the game, but does it matter how good it is really?

Personally, the name to a game isn't extremely important, but it does need to be relevant. I see people who when they make Pokémon games, they stick to the one word color/rock element etc. official sounding name. But they cease to remember that Gamefreak wish to make a second game and possibly a third for the same sort of game. This is why I chose 2 words for mine. At any rate, a name for a game isn't something I worry about so long as it relates to the storyline.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • Just like you said, the title says it all xD

It's true that many times, people judge games based on their names; sometimes, a good name attracts more people than one that isn't all that exciting. It applies to both fangames and non-fangames, if you know what I mean.

So yeah, I think names are important, just not excessively important.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Names are somewhat important and many people do judge a book by its cover. To me, using a color or gem like the original games turns me off to a game. It just makes me think they are making the same game that we've already played. That, or updated graphics or some variation. A clever title makes me interested in it. Of course actual content is more important than anything.

Last edited:

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • I do have to admit that I struggle not to dislike projects which have really stupid names like 'POKEMON: SUPER RUBY CRYSTALS NARUTO KAWAII'.

I don't object to single-word named projects or simply named projects which fit into the standard format but names that break with convention (which aren't over the top ridiculous) are my preference.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • I do not want to get influenced by the name of a game, as it often shows nothing how the game really is.
    Still, I can't really take a name like: "Pokemon: Giga-Ultra-Vegetarian-Meatgrinder Version" seriously.

Still, I try to not mind the name.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I wanted something different. Most games use names with some meaning, or colour or some random word I never heard of. I wanted something that perfectly describes the game. I was inspired by Pokemon Yellow: special pikachu editioin

so Super Pokemon Eevee Edition it was.

I like names which tie into the plot. One thats not too generic, and not too long. Something memorable.

Last edited:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • I chose Pyrite version because it mean's "Fools Gold" like many of you know I'm sure. Since the main character of my game is, Silver, and Gold is part of the main story, it makes perfect sense to the main story line. Darkdoom knows this already. xP

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    I think that fangame names are pretty important, I don't really mind so long as the name relates to the game in some way. However, I also think that naming a game after a mineral or colour has become a bit cliché, after all, 90% of fangames have them. There is nothing wrong with it, I just personally don't really like it, hence the reason I changed my game name from Amber to Dawn (Still considering any other names).
    Oh and also, I absolutely hate it when a game developer comes up with a name that relates to the game, but it is extremely long and over-the-top, like Pokémon Shining Blue Sapphire or Rumbling Red Ruby.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    The names are important, in my opinion. A name makes you interested in a game. For example, I can't imagine anyone wanting to read a thread of Pokemon Mudkip Version, but I can imagine people wanting to read a thread of Pokémon Shadows of the future.

(All names of these games are made up, in case you didn't thought so already)

Years
  • They are because when I seen a fan game like blazing red then I no they haven,t put much effort into the game going by the name....

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • I like a name that is short and sweet basically. If it has an over the top name like "Pokemon Power of the great darkness", then it sounds like a stupid, n00bish game and I'm not going to bother even looking at it.

Years
  • I think that a game's name should be significant to the plot somehow; randomly-chosen precious stones just seem kind of arbitrary to me, and also prevents your game from standing out from the many other Pokemon Amethysts, Opals, and Ambers. (and yeah, I was on a "Pokemon Amber" project for a while.)

I'm also not a huge fan of remakes with names like "Pokemon Glittering Emerald" or "Pokemon Shiny Pearl," even though Pokemon did that themselves with HeartGold and SoulSilver (game names that, honestly, are kind of terrible). Finding a synonym would be cooler, imo: "Pokemon Crimson" and "Pokemon Azure" would be good names for R/B remakes.

Not a fan of "Pokemon: Legend of the X" either. Strikes me as uncreative, kind of.

Fun fact: Early in Uranium's production, we changed the plot significantly in order to make the title relevant. Hah.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Names matter to me. If you name your hack with a stupid name (e.g Pokemon Flare Red, Pokemon Legend of the ham, Pokemon Rebbecca Bla- you get the idea.), I won't even take a peek at it and assume it's bad.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Fun fact: Early in Uranium's production, we changed the plot significantly in order to make the title relevant. Hah.
    hahah. I did the same thing with my old game; pokemon illusion. i put in a stupid plot about a stone called illusionite halfway through development.
    So terrible.

I also like names which aren't obvious until later in the game; like FF13's logo. Just looks like a random crystal thing; until you finish the game and realise what it really is,

or MGS games,

MGS3: Snake Eater? Seems obvious at first, he's gotta eat snakes. but later you find out he's gotta defeat the cobra unit, and the mission is called snake eater. same with sons of liberty, peace walker and guns of the patriots. They all seem like trivial names, until you find out that they intergrate into the plot.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I don't really think the name of a game is going to really going to deter me from playing it, unless it's something really ridiculous. I'm not playing Pokémon Steak Armageddon Version, I apologize.

However, if it has to do with the plot, or it's a clever name, then all the more power to you.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely going to at least look at the thread of a game with that title, if only to find out what a Steak Armageddon is :P It's bound to be silly, or even just bad, but it caught my attention. The problem with the game in that instance wouldn't be the name.

As others have said, the generic "Pokémon Mineral Version" doesn't even register for me. "Version" is particularly egregious. I know it's theme naming, but I think the only reason you'd want to use names like that is to trick people into thinking it's another official game - it isn't. Come up with your own names.

As for making the name plot-relevant, don't make it a spoiler. You can call your game "Pokémon: Team Rocket Returns!" if Team Rocket show up and announce they're back in the first 10 minutes, but not if it's supposed to be a late plot twist that the shady guy in the background was Giovanni all along.

Back