• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are flying types super effective against fighting types the same in real life?

Years
  • If a bird pecks someone it will hurt but is this the same as when a flying type Pokemon pecks a fighting type Pokemon? I was thinking about this for a while now because I know that being pecked by a real life bird can be quite painful to a human whether if the person is a martial artist or a body builder and a bird pecked them they will feel that sharp pain from the beak of a bird so is it like being super effective? and if lets say I kicked a bird it won't be not very effective cause its bad to attack real life birds due to animal cruelty but I was just wondering if the types in flying or fighting will be super effective like in the Pokemon games and anime series the same as in real life.

Sorry if my grammar isn't correct I'm British by the way so if I'm not making any sense please don't mention it cause I know.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sorry if my grammar isn't correct I'm British by the way so if I'm not making any sense please don't mention it cause I know.
    Don't worry about that here~

I was thinking about this for a while now because I know that being pecked by a real life bird can be quite painful to a human whether if the person is a martial artist or a body builder and a bird pecked them they will feel that sharp pain from the beak of a bird so is it like being super effective?
    I think the reason fighting type moves are ineffective towards flying type pokémon is mostly because it's difficult to reach a flying opponent with a kick or punch, which is mostly what fighting type moves are about. Why flying type moves are super effective towards fighting type pokémon, I actually don't have a great theory about :/ Flying type moves aren't all pecks, you know. It's a lot of winds or tackles from above.

and if lets say I kicked a bird it won't be not very effective cause its bad to attack real life birds due to animal cruelty
    I don't think that's the reason ;) It's just as bad to kick a cat. More likely it's the thing I mentioned above, at least I believe so.

Reactions: Sun

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
    Years
  • It could be effective against fighting types because of the fact that in real life, a fighting type is just strength, therefore, all those winds and stuff could overpower it. While most other Pokemon have other effects which could help manage the winds.
    I don't know, dude. It's Pokemon Logic.

Years
  • Maybe it's because a Fighting-type is meant to take on certain kinds of opponents. In several kinds of martial arts you use tosses and throws and your opponents' momentum to knock them down, but with a flying opponent you can't knock them down so easily as they can just flap, float, or whatever even if you take their legs out from under them. I imagine it's also why Fighting isn't good against bugs (which I guess you could say have more balance or reflexes).

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2014
    I agree with Red's Hawt Chibi Pellipers. It's probably because you can't land a punch or kick on a flying opponent as well as you could something on the ground. Also, I'm not sure why Flying types are super effective, maybe so there's more pokemon to use against fighting types?

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • The reason why Fighting is disadvantageous against Flying is because flying pokemon have bigger pecks than fighting types. :V

Ha ha. I agree with all your explanations for why Fighting moves are weak against Flying types. To explain why Flying is super effective against Fighting, I think it's because: similar to how a martial artist's offense isn't skilled at hitting opponents in the air, the martial artist's defense isn't skilled at blocking a blow from from the air. They can't examine a bird's stance, nor can they predict which angle the bird will swoop in as well as they could a stanced-enemy.

Note: In Generation I, the Flying-type had nothing to do with wind or air. Every move that was wind-related (Gust, Whirlwind, Razor Wind) were normal type. Flying was super-effective against Flying in Gen 1, so any type chart explanations reasoning with wind/air should be taken by a grain of salt.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Fighting disadvantage to Flying could also be thought of like this. A martial artist is trying to attack something flying or up high. It can't reach the flying creature and in turn the flying creature is flying around high making sure the attacker cannot lay a finger on it. That has been my explanation to the weakness but im not truely sure

Back