• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are new Pokemon types in fangames a good thing, or bad?

Are new types a good choice for fangames.

• I think new types would be great for a fangame!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I think new types would be ok.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I really dont care.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, I hate new types, and its a bad choice for fangames.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

The catman

Trainer?
    Years
    So are new types a good thing, or bad? If they are good, what kind of types are good?
    Just asking because personally, I dont like me. What I think, Psychic is considered Light(and space), and sound IS part of normal. but thats just me, if you would, please tell me if u like them, or hate em and why? If u like them, what are good types.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    If your breaking into types, then consider this:

-Rock canbe considered Ground since sediment in the ground can be formed to make Rocks.
    -Flying can be considered Normal as well.
    -Ice is a part of Water.

As an example. I personally think new types are a good thing, if done right. These are types I think are good, if they follow these guidelines:

-Wind: Wind-Type isn't to be confused with Flying-Type. Certain Flying attacks such as Gust, or Whirlwind, are better suited to be Wind-attributes as they have no relation to Flying other than the use of wings to cause them. Also, certain Pokemon (Castform and Drifloon), are better suited to be Wind-types.
    Weaknesses: Rock, Poison, Psychic, Flying
    Resistances: Ground, Grass, Ice, Bug
    Advantages: Fire, Bug, Ground, Grass

-Cosmic: Cosmic covers a whole lot of Pokemon whom, by PokeDex descriptions, come from outer-space (Cleffairy, Deoxys, etc.). Cosmic and Psychic aren't the same because Psychic power comes from the mind, not space. Besides, Cosmic seems to be more and more neccesary, with Palkia, Deoxys, and Jirachi being introduced all as Pokemon with a strong affiliation with space.
    Weaknesses: Dragon, Steel, Electric
    Resistances: Psychic, Dark, Rock, Water, Ground, Grass
    Advantages: Psychic, Rock

-Light: The Light-Type I'm talking about has no connection with Electric, Fire, and Psychic. Light-Types are essentially Pokemon that repsent purity or innocence (Togepi, Milotic, Igglybuff). Such Pokemon exsist an every generation, and we need a counterbalance to Dark-Type. Some argue that Dark is weak to Fighting because Fighting represents the old Hero v.s. Villian thing, but Heroes have to be good in heart too.
    Weaknesses: Dark, Ghost, Poison
    Resistances: Fighting, Psychic
    Advantages: Dark, Ghost

There's my two cents.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    What about the whole ancient belief of Fire, Wood, Wind(includes electric (lightning)) and Metal

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I don't mind new types (and edits of existing types) too much, as long as they make sense and fit well.

Regarding davidthefat's comment about Fire/Wood/Wind/Water/Metal, Pokémon has pretty much all these and then some. The typing system is much more complex than those five. As for the two of those five that aren't already Pokémon types, see what I've said about them below.

Some examples:

Cosmic/Alien/Space - No thanks. This type feels entirely too much of a gimmick, and most often it's overpowered, both in terms of rock-paper-scissors and which pokémon have that type (mostly legendaries, with Clefairy thrown in if people remember).

Light - Opposite to Dark, obviously, but that's really not a good description. Dark moves are sneaky and underhanded, so what are Light moves? Straightforward and obvious? Surely most other moves fit this description as well? No, this type just isn't necessary.

Sound - There's already a handful of moves that are sound-based, and there's an ability that provides immunity to them (Soundproof). But aside from Whismur, Chimecho and Chatot, I can't think of any pokémon that would fit. I don't think this type is necessary.

Wind - One of the rarer new types, and obviously made to complete the Earth-Air-Fire-Water-Heart collection (Earth=Ground, Heart=Psychic, I suppose), and/or the five elements mentioned ealier. But you may have noticed that Pokémon has a few more types than these, so using that quintology as a basis is kind of a bad move. Also, it has one of the same issues as Sound has, the move pool. You could stick most birds into this type (but then there's a huge stream of Wind/Flying birds instead), but there's only a few moves that could belong. Personally, I think Normal and especially Flying can cover any air-based attacks already. Even Fighting has Vacuum Wave, so it's not like Wind is just a pseudonym of Flying (if it was, there'd be even less reason to make this type).

God - C'mon, now you're being silly. I suppose this type will resist everything (except Light, which you're probably also using) and will contain nothing but legendaries (with their high stats). This type simply shouldn't exist. Just stick to giving your special pokémon high stats, 'kay?

Wood - Knock it off. This is Grass, and there's no way you can argue otherwise.

Fairy - Now this one I'm actually using in my game. Why? Well, there's a lot of cute and fairy-like pokémon around (Clefairy, Mew, Ledian, Mawile, Celebi, Dunsparce, Jirachi, Togepi and Latias are a few I've called fairies), you can shoehorn several moves into it (mostly former Psychic moves), and I think there's a niche for them. They're magical creatures/moves, possibly using some star-based moves as well (to fit the cosmic thing in there somewhere), and moves like Hyper Beam and Swift can easily be seen as magical (moreso than Normal, at least). Of course I'm biased when it comes to this type, but the main point is that I think there's a gap for it.

I'd like to see what other types are floating around, because these are all I can think of.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    God - C'mon, now you're being silly. I suppose this type will resist everything (except Light, which you're probably also using) and will contain nothing but legendaries (with their high stats). This type simply shouldn't exist. Just stick to giving your special pokémon high stats, 'kay?
    I'd like to see what other types are floating around, because these are all I can think of.
    Thats Dragon, resistant to almost everything

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    I've never considered Fairy as a Pokemon Type, vut we do have Dragon so I suppose that could pass.

I think you've named pretty much every possible 'new' Type. Also, Light-Type can be considered Holy. As in, attacks of holy light, beams, etc. Also, beams such as Confuse Ray, Hyper Beam, Tri-Attack, and some others can be considered Light-beams, not Holy-based, but beams of light per say.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    Well, in Uranium I have Nuclear type, but thats because of the game's plot that involves nuclear plants meltdown etc, so it actually makes sense.

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Pretty much what everyone else said. Its' a yay, as long as it's used properly, else it's a nay. In other words, you can't just throw new types in because you want to have new types in your game. There's gotta be logic behind it, and you have to plan out the types, what the weaknesses/resistances are behind it, etc.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Nobody's mentioned a Virtual/Cyber/Virus type yet. It differentiates virtual Pokémon such as Porygon from normal ones; however, it's unlikely to have many Pokémon with it (how many different virtual Pokémon can you have?). I guess this is similar to Ghost and Dragon in RBY, though; back then, there were only 3 of each.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Ah yes, Virus and Shadow types. They don't seem too bad, but more often than not they're not obtainable (practically always for Shadow types). That's because mostly everyone uses them as "pokémon to be purified" rather than as a usable type in of themselves. Also, practically everyone using Shadow pokémon has a Shadow Lugia as the Big Bad - just stop it, 'kay? It's already been done.

But as I said, they can have their place in the games. They're not Dark (sneaky/underhanded), they're twisted and corrupted, most likely because of something Team Evil People is doing (probably mind control). It might be interesting to see a Shadow/Evil type without explaining them away through a Team Evil People plot. However, I'm not sure what moves and pokémon would suit the Evil type. Perhaps all sorts, with the distinguishing factor being high ATK/SPATK.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    I don't know if this is becasue I am biased but I feel the Light type works well in fangames simply because it provides contrast. While dark type pokemon are seen as sneaky and underhanded, but they can also be seen as impure and corrupt. Since dark type moves usualy result in something negative and usually are moves that represent something that would be frowned upon in our world. So with light types they represent being 100% pure and non corrupt. Where they contrasts normal/or non Dark type pokemon is that many non-dark type pokemon can learn dark type moves. In Scarlet, Light type will learn mostly just Normal/Light/and Fire type moves.

We also have worked out the resistance a little bit different, I don't want to give it all away but:

Light is not affected by Dark moves, Dark and Light are not opposing forces. Dark doesn't actually exist, its just the total absence of light
    Light is weak to Poison and Ghost types, Poison and Ghost type represent the impurities that aren't dark type. So its natrual that a totally pure type would be weak against impurities.

So this isn't all of our light type data, but this is parts of it that really show the focus of light type in Scarlet.

Years
    ...Also, Light is weak to Poison because Poison got shortchanged on the type matchups. Poor guys are weak to Psychic AND ground, and are only supereffective on one thing. You're allowed to add weaknesses just to balance out the typechart. It's fine.

On the Nuclear thing that JV mentioned which was sort of a spoiler but oh well: Nuclear Pokemon are like shadow Pokemon. Nuclear is weak to everything (since it's highly unstable) but also supereffective on everything, meaning you have to outrun them because they'll decimate you if they survive. It's more like shadow Pokemon, actually... uh, well, I won't say any more. Let's wait until it's officially revealed. ;D

In my opinion:

Light: Cliched and overused. We have psychic and fighting. My interpretation of the Light-type would be Pokemon that fight using concentrated bursts of photons-- nothing "pure" or "holy" about it. My vote goes in for fighting=light (it's sort of holy, and it's the virtuous, fair type of fighting that dark is not). I actually designed a fighting-type legendary that takes this into account. (it's really cool-looking)

Wind: Come on, people. While I wouldn't be opposed to this if it were originally there in place of flying, and while it's a perfectly reasonable substitute, my biggest fear is that adding in a Wind type will leave Flying shortchanged. Seriously. You take out all of the Flying-type attacks that involve blowing wind at the opponent, and what you're left with is basically normal-type moves, which makes the Flying-type vestigial at best. Yeah, the Pokemon type system is messed up. We're just gonna have to deal with it.

Sound: I like sound. I was sure it was gonna be a type in the fourth generation, actually (what with Chatot and everything). It's already a subtype, y'know, and there are abilities that revolve around it (soundproof) and everything. This gets my vote for most plausible new type.

Steam: HEY IF YOU HAVE WATER AND ICE WHY NOT HAVE THE GAS FORM OF H2O RITE??????

Virus/Digital: Digital, please; Virus is more like poison. Make a digital/poison-type if you want a virus Pokemon; Porygon is, if you forgot, not originally a virus. (Porygon-Z, however, is.) I also like digital, but you don't have much variety with it. So far there's one (maybe two, if you count, uh, Missingno.) Pokemon that could pass for Digital if you reshuffled the types, which leaves it, yeah, like Dragon and Ghost in R/B/Y.

Cosmic: A pretty cool idea. Actually, you know what would be cooler? "Vacuum." Not as in the appliance. I mean like the vacuum of space. How cool would that be?! ...No? Well, I'm up for Space. But let's call it Space. Cosmic just sounds... silly.

Magic: Can't believe nobody suggested this one yet. It's like the "fairy" type above except less silly. Magic is a lot like Psychic; I actually wish they had called Psychic "Magic" and left Light to oppose Dark, instead. But hey, the people who planned the Pokemon types knew what they were getting into, apparently. So basically, Magic is too close to Psychic to be plausible (like Wind and Flying), but otherwise I think it's a good idea.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Wow, those are good suggestions. Also, in my fangame, Poison isn't so short-changed since its super-effective against Wind-, Water-, and Light-Types (Poison pollutes Water and air so...)

Here's my opinion on a few of these:

-Shadow Type: Probably one of the better ideas, but too close in relation to Ghost and Dark. Ghost-Types and Dark-Types lurl in the shadows often so this type is a nay.

-Magic Type: Eh, not very good. I think calling it Mystic-Type would be better because the idea of calling Espeon or Mewtwo 'magical' is just...bad. Yay.

-Viral (Digital/Virus) Type: A good idea, but limited in use. The Porygon family are probably the only ones that'd fall into this category, unless we made Voltorb and Electrode part Viral, I mean come on, they're living Poke Balls, they have to be technological in some way. Neutral.

-Sound Type: Although it'd make an excellent typing for moves, I dont see much potential for Pokemon, I know Chatot and the Whismur family are sound-related, but they pretty much suck so why bother? Nay.

Also, Zephyr, to argue the Wind-Tpe a bit: Flying-Types have moves such as Sky Attack, Wing Attack, Peck, Fly, Feathdance, and a few others that can't be changed to Wind, but come on, Razor Wind being Normal-Type? Twister being Dragon? Come on.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Magic: Can't believe nobody suggested this one yet. It's like the "fairy" type above except less silly. Magic is a lot like Psychic; I actually wish they had called Psychic "Magic" and left Light to oppose Dark, instead. But hey, the people who planned the Pokemon types knew what they were getting into, apparently. So basically, Magic is too close to Psychic to be plausible (like Wind and Flying), but otherwise I think it's a good idea.
    I really would like to argue against this, both the reddened sentence specifically and the paragraph as a whole. My argument, however, consists almost entirely of what I think sounds better, so it's subjective.

As for the "magic = psychic" thing, that's just not true. They're separate concepts. While I agree that several Psychic moves come close to Magic, there's also the Dark type. Switcheroo? The Dark type is all about sleight-of-hand, if you consider that definition of magic.

Also, I think that in the Pokéverse where we have dragons and living plants and corporeal computer graphics, the line between magic and reality is very much blurred. Blur it a little more and you can use Normal instead. Swift is a barrage of stars made out of light, and that's much more magic than normal to me.

At least Fairy is a way of referring to magic without being anachronistic about it. ;)

Back