• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Are the guides on Pokemon Fire Red wrong about wild Pidgey and wild Rattata levels

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They write there are Pidgey and Rattata with 2-5 levels in Viridian Forest but I didn't come across a Pidgey above Level 3 and only one Level 4 Rattata. Is it a lie or is there some special subarea where you can get Level 5 Pidgey?

Years
    • Seen today
    This is a screenshot from Bulbapedia about Gen 3 Virdian Forest encounters

Screenshot 2024-04-26 8.13.36 AM.png

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm assuming you meant the area outside Viridian Forest. I can confirm from experience there are level 5 Pidgey in the early game, but they're very rare to come by. They're on Route 1 (just north of Pallet Town where you get your starter from Professor Oak). I'm not sure about a level 5 Rattata that early. You can catch a level 10ish Rattata on Route 4 after Brock and Mt. Moon but before Misty (and the rival fight to the north of Cerulean City). I hope this helps.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Found the encounter tables for Fire Red. Source: GameFAQs.

Route 2 said:
    Pidgey:
    Lv 3 (20%)
    Lv 2 (10%)
    Lv 4 (10%)
    Lv 5 (5%)

Ratatta:
    Lv 3 (20%)
    Lv 2 (10%)
    Lv 4 (10%)
    Lv 5 (5%)

Caterpie:
    Lv 4 (4%)
    Lv 5 (1%)

Weedle:
    Lv 4 (4%)
    Lv 5 (1%)

Distributes the levels unevenly. Probably works like this for most older games, more or less. (Saw similar distributions for original Red/Blue/Yellow.) Possibly extends to current games too. (Knows about SoS calls in Sun/Moon definitely having different rates for different allies, such as 1% Politoeds.) Lacks the technical knowledge to verify, though.

Last edited:
    Back