• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Are the older Gens losing popularity?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    With Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Green coming out on 3DS, some people couldn't understand why we will buy this game, because it's an old game, not so good, filled with mostly nostalgia.

Okay, the games have changed. Each generation have change the game a bit more, with new feature and stuff. But.... what's wrong with Nostalgia?? Why does we can't buy a game only because of the nostalgia it occur? I mean, I've read some comments on Facebook where some people are against nostalgia when it comes to choose a game!

Years
    I wouldn't really say they were but with HG/SS and LG/FR people skip out on the originals and play the reboots. That's what I did but then went back and played the original games which were the same but without colour and different sprites.

They're not quite the same. The story is fairly similar (with some addition in FRLG), but the battle and game mechanics are different. There are fewer types and moves, and the type effectiveness is different. There are some TMs that are unique to Gen I and there are some glitches that you can exploit. There are no Running shoes. Playing the 2 is a very different experience.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Pokémon OceanBlue and ElectricYellow coming to stores near you in Winter 2016! No but seriously, for reasons that I'm finding difficult to articulate, if gen1 games were to be remade I would like to see them as something like, but not the same as, FRLG. They should be based on RBY, not the remakes, with all the new features. Because gen1 ruled, even though looking back on it it kinda sucked.

Years
    Eh, the general image of the series hasn't even incorporated the Gen. IV use of the stylus, and is still identified quite a while later with the earlier forms of control. Later games would generally just come across as adaptations of this to promote a game when the series has less cultural influence. Pikachu is still the Pokémon with the most influence and recognition, along with mostly early Pokémon, and they haven't really managed to create symbols for the series that lasted since then. There might be a few niches which prefer the later games, but in general the series is clearly identified with the earlier games on a social level. Nobody's pretending that Pokémon is anything new by now, or not just an adaptation of an original format, so that you figure that even the newer games are played in part because of the old, and in a sense have never distinguished themselves.

Because gen1 ruled, even though looking back on it it kinda sucked.
    Honestly, the games have not advanced so far that you would get that impression, unless you're going on the usual script by which Missingno., etc., being in the game and making it more interesting somehow made it worse. They're still basically the same formula, except simplified, and with antagonistic rivals and such being friendly and childish. That said, the original games were, as games, not particularly bad in terms of design as played, or aesthetic, so that seems a bit of a harsh thing to take for granted, especially relatively.

Back