• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Are there are carnivore pokemon?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Some are based off of carnivorous creatures, so I'd imagine that yes, some Pokemon eat other Pokemon in the Pokeworld. IIRC Heatmor is stated to eat Durant in one of its PokeDex entries.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Yungoos has also been stated to have been brought in to deal with rodents in Alola. Those rodents are believed to be Rattata.

I would assume that yes Pokemon do eat other Pokemon

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Pidgeot eat Magikarp, Swellow eat Wurmple, Heatmor eat Durant as mentioned above, and there's several different entries about Poochyeena, Gorebyss, and other Pokemon eating prey that might also possibly be Pokemon. Canonically while we've never actually seen it happen, it apparently does according to the Pokedex even though all Pokemon are seen to eat different types of food and beverage like Soda Pop, Berries, Poffins, Pokeblocks, and Lava Cookies.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Carnivine also. Although I like to think pokemon aren't getting eaten :p

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2016
    My gosh. Like, there must be, but maybe those wonderful kibbles from The Pokemon Center are enough?!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    There are definitely carnivorous pokemon, my number one favorite pokemon of all time Gorebyss, is considered carnivorous and also "cruel".

Alpha Sapphire Pokedex entry: "Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluids."

As others have mentioned though it's only mentioned through pokedex entries and not shown in game, I have always been okay with the idea that pokemon eat other pokemon. They're animals in a natural ecosystem so obviously certain pokemon would eat other pokemon just like animals eat other animals. I personally think that little bit of realism makes the game overall more immersive.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    I've thought about this when "feinting" wild pokemon. If a rattata gets knocked unconscious and left in the middle of a field, it doesn't seem likely that the staraptors, ekans, sevipers or other predatory pokemon would just kindly leave it there to awaken.

King Rockruff

Rockruff
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    Of course. Wild Pokémon have to eat something. I'd imagine they would starve if they weren't carnivores.

My gosh. Like, there must be, but maybe those wonderful kibbles from The Pokemon Center are enough?!

For trained Pokémon maybe. Wild Pokémon on the other hand don't have access to kibble and all of the other junk trainers feed them such as pokeblocks and lava cookies.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • I love how dark Pokemon is, if we're going by the creepy-ass dex entries.

There is nothing "dark" about Pokemon. It is just plainly realism. It is just plainly the diversity of ecosystem to establish a healthy food chain.

Or what, do you really think PokeUniverise is the absolute fantastic utopia where no people will die and no pokemon will hurt even if they shot fire and electricity at each other, every single living being is happy there is no sadness?
    Think again. No canon established that as fact, not even the happy-go-lucky Pokemon Anime.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • I encourage you to read over several Pokemon's Pokedex entries and then come back to me saying it isn't dark, lmao.

I shall just repeat my answer:
    There is nothing "dark" about Pokemon. It is just plainly REALISM.

May be a bit of hyperrealistic fantasy, but definitely not dark. Dark =/= Realism. Understand the difference.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • @colours
    Is it your brain always thinking in the gruesome grotesque side when there is a Pokedex entry saying something about attacking the opponent (whether pokemon or human) and/or something about their freakish characteristics; Or is it just my brain was always imagine those Pokedex entries in a toned down non-grotesque manner as literal and natural as possible without any exaggeration of "gruesomeness"?

I knew almost all of the Pokedex entries, because I basically researched almost all of them when I choose my specific in-game team during replay. But still I don't see anything "dark" about them. Or may be I need to ask, what is your definition of "being dark"? What is your definition of "realism"? I kind of grasped that your definition is definitely differ from mine.
    BTW, I had a pet peeve whenever someone describe something as "dark" without thinking deeply about the actual definition of this word. Please try to use other more meaningful synonyms.

I really wanted to know, what were you thinking and what sceneries were you imagining inside your brain when you were reading those Pokedex entries you had posted?
    I shall just give out my thinking when I read those phrases. It will be long if I do all of them, so I just select three of them.

Banette's Pokedex Entry:
    OK, a discarded doll holding grudge to the child that discarded it, and wanted to seek him/her out. Understandable (Who don't feel bad if someone just pretend to forget you on the street?). But that's all. What next then? If by any chance Banette did managed to found out that child, what then? You hate the child to the point of wanting to kill him/her immediately on the spot? Or are you just wanted to pull his/her cheek for punishment? Or you just wanted say something directly to him/her so badly? Also if oppositely that child is nice to Banette, discarding it was not his/her decision, are you going to forgive him/her? If in the case of that child had long become adult that Banette couldn't even realized, or had passed away already where he/she doesn't exist anymore, what then? Shall Banette then just take its grudge out on any other child it encounters? Shall it then become aggressive indiscriminately to any young children? Or just to those children that had also discard dolls in the past?
    Anything is possible. But if interpret its meaning only from the two sentences in its Pokedex entries, there is no guarantee that it will always be the worst scenario. Of course I don't discard the worst scenario case, but one need to include the possibility of order scenario as well. When I think it in this way, I don't see what is so irksome about Banette's characteristics as it is described in its Pokedex. BTW, personally I always choose to imagine the non-worst cases.

Beautifly's Pokedex Entry:
    What is the big deal about its aggressive nature? Mind to tell you, many Real-Life insects are tend to be predator the more colourful it is. Why Beautifly shall then be modest just because it looks pretty? Remember, beautiful rose had thorn. Never judge something by the appearance.
    It is said that it stabs its prey with its mouth and sucks the opponent's fluids. But again, that's all the Pokedex entry had written. What then? Is the stabbed opponent shall then die immediately because Beautifly suck out all the body fluid of yours? Or is it just a portion where you will not die but simply become tired due to temporary anemia? BTW, it is strange that Pokedex entry use the word "fluid" instead of blood, so could it be Beautifly's target is not human nor beast-like pokemons, but grass-type plant pokemons? The latter seems more reasonable as Beautifly is bug-type so it prey on grass-type pokemons, other entries also mentioned it feeds on flower nectar, so Beautifly may not be any carnivore but herbivore.
    Though, it may be harmless to human being because it is herbivore, but nonetheless it posts a threat to grass-type pokemons. But that is just the law of jungle and natural food chain. Wild creature feeds on the life of one another, what is the big deal here?

Spoink's Pokedex Entry:
    Spoink needs to keep bouncing to keep its heart beating, hence it can't stop bouncing or else it will die. Well for this one I do have to say it sounds very surreal. However, I still don't see anything "dark" about it. If in any case Spoink does die aways from stopping of heartbeat simply because it is in a situation where it cannot bounce, I just have to say sorry where such unfortunate incident happens. Trainer should understand the physiology of Spoink if he/she ever owned one, and don't let it enter into such unfortunate ending if you are really valuing your Spoink. BTW, if that is the characteristic, shall Spoink then be deemed as a unsuitable pokemon for battle, or even prohibit trainer from catching one?
    More of a matter of concern, there is one thing I do have to question about that specific bouncing characteristic of Spoink, is that does there exist any "buffer time allowance" before its heart stop beating if not bouncing? My imagination is, Spoink don't die immediately if stop bouncing, but more like its heart will stop beating if within a certain amount of time it didn't bounce. The mechanism I was thinking in here was something like the quartz clock, where the crystal oscillator don't stop oscillating immediately by just place the clock on table, but will eventually stops completely if it was not moved for days.
    There are all the possibilities (headcanons) that maintains Spoink's physiology without contradiction, at the same time fulfilling the Trainer's Pokemon Battle needs. It is all up to your imagination, and your imaginative direction of trying to depicts trainers defeating Spoink are serial killers, or trying to depicts trainers defeated Spoink are just sportive athletes.

I never imagined Pokemon World as any utopia filled with only happiness and no sadness, where everyone are nice to each other and will not hurt one another. But yet, I also never imagined Pokemon World being dreary and dangerous like Jurassic Park. That are just two extreme opposites. I'm more in the middle ground.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think ghost pokemon such as gengar pray pokemons. Its not sure because it is never mention that gengar eat pokemon. Dark pokemon are realy look like carnivores. I think dark pokemon has a majority of carnivore pokemon.

Years
  • I believe it's totally relevant to say that there are. I mean, Tyrantrum and Aerodactyl. If those two don't rip and tear then I don't know what Pokemon does.

Back