• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a closeted poke-fan?

DeckCadetTzipi

Older and Wiser
Years
  • Totally closeted fan. No one knows I still love playing Pokemon and have the Pokemon cards. I can't really be bothered with people making fun.

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    It goes either way for me. Pokemon is popular at my school and with my peers, but my dad seems to be secretly ashamed of me liking Pokemon (openly called it a "kindergarten game" at one point) and seems to think that I should like Call of Duty instead like all of the other Xbox Live-worshipping brainwashed zombies in my demographic. So I try to bring up Pokemon as little as possible around him.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • I am sort of, kind of. I'm 19 and the people I hang around with probably thing I'm sort of...nuts. But I'll simply say Pokemon was the **** back in the day , probably agree but I only tell people who relate to me and agree.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I'm not. My family knows I play it and several play/have recently played it and know I play it and all of my other friends really don't care.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Definitely a closeted fan. A few years ago, everyone loved Pokemon, you could get a reputation for your battling skills there. That was junior school.. the next year everyone decided that they were "too grown up" for Pokemon. Even me. For a short while, at least.. Later that same year, I rediscovered Pokemon, and now I'm addicted. But if I were to tell anyone that, I would be picked on really badly. So no one knows. I'm even secretive about purchasing the games now. Not many people know my mum, so I send her off to buy them for me, all secretive like.

Water Master Roxy

Wish I was Misty
    Years
  • I don't let anyone know I like Pokemon because of being teased. But if I find someone who really likes Pokemon and get to know them and be friends with them then I might tell them. But I do know some people who play Pokemon at school and my friends and I tease them. I know im horrible.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • No. I'm too cool o be socially damaged xD I don't know what schools in America will be like but my London friends couldn't care less, though there was one little, and I mean little, jive at it. While another got interested :)

Years
  • Sadly, for now I have to be. My friends wouldn't get it, I know they wouldn't it. My brother walked in on me the other day watching the anime, and he was like "Are you watching pokémon?" and I was like "yeah" completely unashamed and he was like "I miss pokémon, like waking up on Saturday mornings just to watch it" and I was like "those were the days!" so it was kinda nice to have that :)

I'm going to Uni this year, so hopefully if I get close to people and I find out they like pokémon, I'll be able to share it at last with people :) For now though, I remain closeted.

Years
  • I'm not really a closet Pokemon fan, but I'm not extremely open about it. It's not that I'm scared of being ridiculed, it's just that every time it DOES happen, I get extremely pissed off. I mean really, people can be so ignorant about it. T_T But if Pokemon were to come up in a conversation, I wouldn't try to hide the fact that I like it. I can't lie, I used to be a closet Pokemon fan, but when I look back on those days, I feel that I was being pretty pathetic to care that much about what people thought about me. =/

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    I deff hide it from people. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to tell everyone about it. I'm sorry, but for those who say "I love pokemon and if people make fun of me and laugh at me I dont care!"" - I think thats absolutely ridiculous. We are social creatures, pokemon is fun but having friends and stable relationships with people is much more fun than any game out there. I think you can like something, but if you know it will create a socially unstable environment for you then don't tell people. It would be extremely tough to have relationships with people who think Pokemon is just a kids game. No one knows I like it and no one will. It is something just for me that I enjoy. When I am with my friends/girls/adults ect.. I am not going to say a word about it. If you want to be socially successful and treated like an adult you have to portray yourself as one outside of the pokemon realm. Thats just my take on it.

Years
  • I think being ashamed of something like that is sort of ridiculous. People like what they like. Me and some of my friends have open conversations about the games, etc. I'll even break out my iPod Touch and start playing my ROM's in class if I'm bored.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • It's funny, yesterday I was playing Pokemon in the metro like usual and noticed that a girl about my age was repeatedly staring at my screen. I looked at her for a sec and noticed she had a big Kangaskhan keychain tied to her bag :P. Us fans might not be as rare as we think haha.

I deff hide it from people. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to tell everyone about it. I'm sorry, but for those who say "I love pokemon and if people make fun of me and laugh at me I dont care!"" - I think thats absolutely ridiculous. We are social creatures, pokemon is fun but having friends and stable relationships with people is much more fun than any game out there. I think you can like something, but if you know it will create a socially unstable environment for you then don't tell people. It would be extremely tough to have relationships with people who think Pokemon is just a kids game. No one knows I like it and no one will. It is something just for me that I enjoy. When I am with my friends/girls/adults ect.. I am not going to say a word about it. If you want to be socially successful and treated like an adult you have to portray yourself as one outside of the pokemon realm. Thats just my take on it.

That's pretty sad if you ask me. If people make fun of you just for liking a game, then they're not worth it for sure. I truly couldn't care less if someone looked at me weirdly for playing. The ones who don't mind it are much worth talking to. Most of my friends don't give a crap about Pokemon, but they're still my friends. Liking Pokemon doesn't mean I can't be treated like an adult. If I need to discuss serious matters, then I do... There's a difference between being a Pokemon fan and having nothing else to talk about.

Just like what you want to like (unless it's criminal obviously) and let the stupid people be :).

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    It's funny, yesterday I was playing Pokemon in the metro like usual and noticed that a girl about my age was repeatedly staring at my screen. I looked at her for a sec and noticed she had a big Kangaskhan keychain tied to her bag :P. Us fans might not be as rare as we think haha.

That's pretty sad if you ask me. If people make fun of you just for liking a game, then they're not worth it for sure. I truly couldn't care less if someone looked at me weirdly for playing. The ones who don't mind it are much worth talking to. Most of my friends don't give a crap about Pokemon, but they're still my friends. Liking Pokemon doesn't mean I can't be treated like an adult. If I need to discuss serious matters, then I do... There's a difference between being a Pokemon fan and having nothing else to talk about.

Just like what you want to like (unless it's criminal obviously) and let the stupid people be :).

My point is not that pokemon fans purely talk about pokemon. My point is that in this day and age, if you are over a certain age pokemon is seen to be something childish (which obviously isnt true to us). I'm not saying that you can't have friends being a pokemon fan, but realistically people would find that strange and be turned off by you in social situations (potentially people who could be your great friends otherwise). All I am saying is that pokemon is not something I need to talk about with my friends, I can enjoy it by myself and with the Pokecommunity (love ya guys lol). You don't have to say "I like pokemon and I'm going to tell everyone and whoever thinks its wierd is a jerk," because it is VERY likely that most people will find it wierd.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • My point is not that pokemon fans purely talk about pokemon. My point is that in this day and age, if you are over a certain age pokemon is seen to be something childish (which obviously isnt true to us). I'm not saying that you can't have friends being a pokemon fan, but realistically people would find that strange and be turned off by you in social situations (potentially people who could be your great friends otherwise). All I am saying is that pokemon is not something I need to talk about with my friends, I can enjoy it by myself and with the Pokecommunity (love ya guys lol). You don't have to say "I like pokemon and I'm going to tell everyone and whoever thinks its wierd is a jerk," because it is VERY likely that most people will find it wierd.
    I didn't say your point was that Pokemon fans only talk about Pokemon; it was just an example :).

I am myself "too old" to like Pokemon, especially since I don't only play the game, but watch the anime too. I play Pokemon all the time in class and I still make new friends. Most people who see me just say "haha I used to like Pokemon" and don't talk about it again. They don't start avoiding me or anything... Thus I can say it didn't affect my relationships with others. I agree most people will find it weird, but they won't run away from you either. I actually can't even think of anyone who stopped talking to me because of it. One can be a sane and interesting person even if having a "weird" interest and most people I met seemed to understand that.

Last edited:

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • I don't really try to hide it but I do sometimes to some people I don't want to show it to.
    I loved pokemon when I was 7 or 8 when me and my sister played leafgreen and so on but now I am 12 so still a kid.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • If you ask me, trying to hide it just gives people more reason to pick on you when they do find out. I play it in my guitar class, since my teacher always ends the class before the bell rings, and I know two other people in that class who play it, and everybody else either never bothered to notice or don't care. I don't get picked on at all in that class, and I never get an opportunity for anyone to find out in my other classes (though there are a few people that would pick on me there) but if they did find out and did start picking on me I'm the kind of guy that rolls with the punches. They tell me it's a child's game, I'll confuse them by telling them how to EV train. You sure it's for little kids now?

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • No, nobody cared that I played Pokemon. If someone had a problem with it, I'd introduce them with a few "kind words..."

Nobody would dare "beat me up" over it.

Of course, at the same time, pretty much all through high school we criticized this nerd with aspergers for playing Pokemon 24/7, bringing it to school and stuff. He even dressed up as Ash Ketchum and was proud of it.

He was one of those kids who honestly thought he was "better and smarter" than everyone. (Yes, he honestly said that.)

He ended up staying back 2 grades, and one time, got suspended from school for lude conduct in English class. (You don't want to know.)

Back