• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

are you happy with the way you look?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Since the mere mention of my looks cause blindess and confusion, I will simply say yes.

:P

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
    Years
    I guess I'm happy with the way I look. But it wouldn't hurt to look a little like Anthony Kiedis... <3 :P

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    You're implying that losing weight makes you a better person, whether you meant to or not. Losing weight does not "improve" you, it simply makes your image more acceptable to society.

Personally, I don't care about how I look. Vanity is the value I find most annoying in many people.
    We are by our nature social beings, and to belong to society (at any level) is to be feeding that instinct towards community and comradeship. You may not strive to be skinny and "vane" as you put it, but you may try to connect with people on another level. If you're goth, you are going to wear dark clothing in the same way that people lose weight to be accepted by the mainstream. Do you see the logic? You can't escape society.

The fact that I was so self conscious about my weight that I refused to go to the pool at all occasions and now I'm actually applying to be a lifeguard at my city's pool says something. You obviously have a specific bias against people who strive to better themselves and their health, so I'll bite. Before I was constantly unhappy, unfit, and never wanted to be around other people. I covered up all my extra skin by wearing three layers of clothing, because I didn't want anyone to see my shame.

After losing my weight, I feel like I can socialize with people more, and that makes me happier. What I have is not vanity as you put it, I am simply content with my image as you are. Nothing to me feels better than being able to now wear my tight tshirts and skinny jeans with hemp sandals and not feel bad about myself.
    That's pretty impressive results, but do you ever feel too thin now?

I am 6'3 and 165 and I feel like I could put on a bit more.
    Nah, I've managed to tone myself up a bit so I don't feel too thin.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
    I happen to be one-hundred percent completely satisfied with my complextin and figure.
    Let's drop the negativity, guys. Love you for yourself, not the way you or society perceives you.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    We are by our nature social beings, and to belong to society (at any level) is to be feeding that instinct towards community and comradeship. You may not strive to be skinny and "vane" as you put it, but you may try to connect with people on another level. If you're goth, you are going to wear dark clothing in the same way that people lose weight to be accepted by the mainstream. Do you see the logic? You can't escape society.
    Goth (as a sub-culture) is stupid. I can't believe they don't see the irony in what they do, it's just so painfully obvious.

You can "escape society" by not caring about what it thinks and doing what you feel is best. If this happens to coincide what with society thinks is right, then that's fine, but you shouldn't do it just to fit the image of what sort of thing you need to look like. Losing weight because it improves your health would be an example of the former, but losing weight because it makes you more "acceptable" to society is an example of the latter.

The fact that I was so self conscious about my weight that I refused to go to the pool at all occasions and now I'm actually applying to be a lifeguard at my city's pool says something. You obviously have a specific bias against people who strive to better themselves and their health, so I'll bite. Before I was constantly unhappy, unfit, and never wanted to be around other people. I covered up all my extra skin by wearing three layers of clothing, because I didn't want anyone to see my shame.
    Why were you self-conscious? It is because people crave acceptance by their peers, and one thing that our culture looks down is the idea of anything other than the "super model" look. The farther away you are from that image, the less acceptable it is to be in a swimsuit, for example. It's fine if you want to lose weight and buy into this thing, I understand why people do it. The thing I take contention with is when you use that phrase to define what you did; you call it "bettering yourself." That's not how I see it at all. I see nothing better in a fit person, other than perhaps a marginally higher life expectancy. And while more self-esteem may be a good thing, I think you could better yourself for real if you try to build self-confidence without buying into society's definition of what is a tolerable figure.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Goth (as a sub-culture) is stupid. I can't believe they don't see the irony in what they do, it's just so painfully obvious.
    It was an example, but I will admit their attempt at a counterculture of individualism has completely failed.

Why were you self-conscious? It is because people crave acceptance by their peers, and one thing that our culture looks down is the idea of anything other than the "super model" look. The farther away you are from that image, the less acceptable it is to be in a swimsuit, for example. It's fine if you want to lose weight and buy into this thing, I understand why people do it. The thing I take contention with is when you use that phrase to define what you did; you call it "bettering yourself." That's not how I see it at all. I see nothing better in a fit person, other than perhaps a marginally higher life expectancy. And while more self-esteem may be a good thing, I think you could better yourself for real if you try to build self-confidence without buying into society's definition of what is a tolerable figure.
    I was self conscious because I was a lazy bastard who never got off the couch and was always on the computer. I had skin hanging off of my body which represented a complete disregard for my well being. Simply not caring is just proof enough that you do care enough to not care.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I'm fat.

I wouldn't say I am happy, or proud to be fat. But I am not sad or disappointed in myself because of it? Does that make sense? I guess...I don't really care because I believe all physical attributes should be ignored as they are completely irrelevant to one's emotions and thoughts?

I don't know..

twocows

Years
    I was self conscious because I was a lazy bastard who never got off the couch and was always on the computer. I had skin hanging off of my body which represented a complete disregard for my well being. Simply not caring is just proof enough that you do care enough to not care.
    If you changed your lifestyle to exclude being lazy, then that's great and you deserve to be proud. If all you did was diet or exercise for a few weeks to reverse the damage, you haven't addressed the root cause, and I just don't see that as something that's very valuable in itself.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    If you changed your lifestyle to exclude being lazy, then that's great and you deserve to be proud. If all you did was diet or exercise for a few weeks to reverse the damage, you haven't addressed the root cause, and I just don't see that as something that's very valuable in itself.
    I changed my whole self image and how I even view life. That's why I am so passionate about the subject.

The root cause is because I didn't there was anything to life, a belief that I am very happy was ripped from my being. We only have a short time living, why contemplate reasons why to hate society when you can just use it to be happy while we're here?

twocows

Years
    I changed my whole self image and how I even view life. That's why I am so passionate about the subject.

The root cause is because I didn't there was anything to life, a belief that I am very happy was ripped from my being. We only have a short time living, why contemplate reasons why to hate society when you can just use it to be happy while we're here?
    To quote Felicia from Sora no Woto, "I'm sure there's no meaning in this world. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own." This is something I have long held to be true; there is no pre-ordained purpose to our lives, which leave us free to find our own meaning. I have made my own meaning in life, and as a result, I am happy. And it bothers me very much when society tells me that the things I choose to do in life are pointless or abnormal or whatever, and so I ignore what society tells me is the right way to live my life and live it how I want to.

shu

so alone so lost inside
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2017
    To quote Felicia from Sora no Woto, "I'm sure there's no meaning in this world. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own." This is something I have long held to be true; there is no pre-ordained purpose to our lives, which leave us free to find our own meaning. I have made my own meaning in life, and as a result, I am happy. And it bothers me very much when society tells me that the things I choose to do in life are pointless or abnormal or whatever, and so I ignore what society tells me is the right way to live my life and live it how I want to.

It's nice to see people from michigan using pc.(even though mi does suck(:)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    Sadly, I hate my appearance so much. I just care about what other people think of my physical features, not my perosnality. :'(

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    I have a slightly big nose and ears and big hands and feet [for a girl] but I've learned to live with it. :)

I'm pretty happy with how I look and I try to dress to conceal the less flattering bits [though obviously not my nose, I draw the line at clothing my face XD]

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
    I'm content being the way I am. Life (not unlike one's appearance) has it's imperfections and I accept that. :D
    Sure, there's the little things I don't like about me, but it's no biggie. :)

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I don't care too much about my appearance...although it sometimes bothers me.
    I have acne in the wrong places, and I look gross unless I shave like every week. :(
    I've been called cute in photos (the ones I take myself, not family photos since I can't smile), but that's a little different from my appearance in real life.
    But I like my hair, eyes, height, and the way I dress. I don't really mind the negative qualities that much. :3

Oh, also, I'm like the only person I know with a bad metabolism...and I like food. Dx

Back