• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Art Software

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
  • which ones are your fav and why?

i bet most people will say photoshop as that is the number one , isn't it haha
    i love photoshop
    BUT i also like an old one called jasc animation shop
    its easy and great to make gifs and cute animations when it comes to making graphics :)

i used to work with PSP from corel, paint shop pro is what it stands for
    i loved it, it was great
    but then i met photoshop and i was like GURL, this is way better
    but i had good days with PSP

people say gimp is good stuff but i personally have never tried it​

Last edited:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Uhh for photo editing I use Photoshop, but rather than just photo editing, perhaps we might ask what programs people use for their art in general?

I personally spend very little time on photoshop to produce my art since I draw purely in Paint Tool SAI, and really great Japanese drawing program that is 1000x better than photoshop when it comes to pen pressure. Photoshop I use to make my backgrounds or do color touch ups but otherwise not really present in my art process.

I have a friend who does all his art entirely in GIMP and it's really rather incredible since I find GIMP to be an incredibly unintuitive and cumbersome program LOL...

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • Uhh for photo editing I use Photoshop, but rather than just photo editing, perhaps we might ask what programs people use for their art in general?

I personally spend very little time on photoshop to produce my art since I draw purely in Paint Tool SAI, and really great Japanese drawing program that is 1000x better than photoshop when it comes to pen pressure. Photoshop I use to make my backgrounds or do color touch ups but otherwise not really present in my art process.

I have a friend who does all his art entirely in GIMP and it's really rather incredible since I find GIMP to be an incredibly unintuitive and cumbersome program LOL...
    i changed the title haha
    Sometimes i find interesting gimp tutorials so yes, seems like you can make real nice things in gimp

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I used to use GIMP back in the day when I was finding it hard to learn how to learn how to use photoshop. For majority of the years I did graphics on PC I only had Photoshop Elements which didn't have any Layer Style function which really hurt my progression in making better tags and graphics (tbh it was only when I started university and kinda stopped doing tags where I owned a Photoshop that was a CS and not an Elements version). I used GIMP for a while because it had somewhat of a layer style function I could use.

Also use Adobe Photoshop CS6 for simple animations and gif making for nice quality stuff on tumblr.
    I use Photoshop to edit my photos and sometimes I use Adobe Lightroom. KMPlayer I also use to capture the frames for gifs.

Adobe Illustrator I use for Vectorish stuff, Adobe inDesign for print layouts.

Adobe Premier is the key program I use for editing videos although I used to use Sony Vegas.
    I've been learning Adobe After Effects for more complex animations and special effects and such.

Paint Tool SAI is what i use for digital art, afterwards I touch it up on PS.

Autodesk Maya is what I use for 3D Modelling and often animate on their too. I've been learning some Cinema 4D and Blender for modelling also.

Pyxel Edit is new, but I recently got that for Pixel Art.

Probably not even all of it, but I use a lot xD

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Damn Zappy you got yourself an arsenal of programs! But, I think that's important for a graphics artists (or any artist, really), to be multifaceted in many programs. It's a very versatile skill to have!

I primarily use Photoshop for my digital art. It's not really geared towards illustration the way other programs are, but it came with a tablet I bought back in the day and I'm not going to a $300+ program like that go to waste. B)

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • my boyfriend showed me how to make retro badges in illustrator real easy few days ago
    i am going to try and work with that on his computer
    because i want to make my own logo for something and thought photoshop was good enough but having doubts now​

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I use krita for drawing, the GIMP for images, blender for 3D, and inkscape for vector 2D.
    All free stuff. I don't believe in paying for software.

Teten

Ten/Ten
    Years
  • Paint Tool SAI and Clip Studio Paint for drawing.
    CSP has tools for making amazing backgrounds (perspective ruler) as well as 3D references. It's like Photoshop and SAI had a child and it's CSP.
    Although it isn't as strong as Photoshop, it's still highly recommended for drawing.
    It's also recommended for those who like making manga/comics since CSP has a lot of pre-made manga pages.

Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CC for anything related to graphics such as tags, avatars, icons, etc.

After Effects CC and Flash for animation since I'm an animation major. :^)

Back