• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARTPOP - Lady Gaga

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Got around to listening to the rest of the album. Can't say I'm disappointed. I'm usually a picky listener, and even with artists I truly follow, I can only enjoy a couple of songs from any one album. That being said, I wasn't expecting much from the album. I did enjoy Dope up to the chorus though. And then I listened to Gypsy, which I must say is the first song I've truly enjoyed from Gaga since Judas.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    Finally got a copy of ARTPOP!

I think this is a fantastic album. I admit, I do like BTW better, but this is definitely my second favorite.

Favorite tracks include: Aura, Venus, Applause, G.U.Y, Sexxx Dreams, MANiCURE, Swine, Donatella, and Gypsy.

I found the rest to be bland. Especially Jewels N Drugs. Not sure what she was thinking with that one.

Years
    Aura - I like the music, the content is a bit confusing. Though, refreshed that she describes the veil as a garment of modesty and beauty, I can't help but feel this is not at all representative of herself. Overall, the song is great. 9/10

Venus - This is an alright electronic pop song. A bit like Katy Perry's 'Alien' that is superior in instrumental complexity, however, it doesn't quite have that memorable hook. Overall, it's a fun song. 8/10

GUY - Please no more spelling songs. This song doesn't have a cohesion or direction. Sure, it works as a stock song at a club, but nothing I want to jam to when I am getting ready to sleep. It's catchy but a bit underdeveloped. 6/10

Sexxx Dreams - Sexy songs are more fun when they are clever and ridden with innuendo. This one doesn't have any seductive or captivating aspects to it. 3/10.

Jewels N Drugs - Honestly, I had to force myself to listen to the song before I judged it. I really didn't see any clear vision in the muddled lyrics, erratic key change and tempo, and the clashing song aesthetics of the featured artists. 2/10

MANiCure - The deeper tone that usually sounds forced and off in other songs she has produced, sort of works for this one. I loved the shouting pronouncements, paying homage to "the fame", but in a more abrasive fashion. Though this was fun, it does seem awfully forgettable. 7/10

What do you want - The start reminded me of the autrocity of electric chapel singing from the throat to sound like an edgy 80's rocker chick, but it just doesn't work well. If not for R. Kelly, the song would have been a total flop...It's mediocre. 5/10

Artpop - The instrumentals are both catchy and discordant, which is tough to pull off. The techno rap didn't work well, and the though her voice sounds great in this one, there needs to more of a hook if she wants this to be pop rather than a techno trance. As a trance, I will give it a 7/10. As a pop song, about a 5/10.

Swine - Again, the forced English 80's rocker makes an appearance. The dubbeats and stabs are the only redeeming qualities of the song. 3/10

Dontella - Some aspects of the song were reminiscent of the fame with an identity of itself own...however, there were a couple lyrics and moments of throaty singing that were slightly off-putting, marring what could have been one of her best songs. 8/10

Fashion! - Again, the cringe-worthy throaty singing moments. Again, this song wasn't coherent and a bit mind-numbing. 3/10

Mary Jane Holland - The bridge was the best component of the song. Though, everything else was yet again mind-numbing, blah, and incoherent. The lyrics were less than appealing or meaningful, yet not simple and carefree (pretension-free) either. 4/10

Dope - This joke sounds downright commical. I could seriously imagine someone singing this on SNL. God, it's just awful. The 80's rocker chick sounds purposefully delivered as a faux pas. Not a single redeeming aspect to this song aside from making me laugh. 1/10

Gypsy - Decent enough. The message is actually meaningful to her, and perhaps anyone struggling between exploring themselves and the world with settling down or grounding themselves by a commitment. Also, some nice catchy instrumentals. Though it still doesn't have that strong hook. 8/10

Applause - Perhaps her strongest song of the album. Great instrumentals and clear and simple message in the lyrics. I love her voice in this one best as well. Lastly, there is finally a strong hook. 8/10

Overall, her album is mediocre, 5/10.

I'd say it's my least favorite album of hers. It's not amazing nor is it downright awful; it's a rather disappointing experience with glimpses of genius and missed opportunities. There are some hidden gems, but ultimately she doesn't seem to have the same command of chord progressions, hooks, and overall interesting yet fun appeal, unburdened by pretension as demonstrated in her other albums. Though Born this Way, had all of the great elements of chord progression and catchy hooks, some but not all, of the songs seemed forced and pretentious. The songs should stand for itself as a body of work rather than need reinforcement by further explanation. This album fails to come together as a body of work, it's disjointed, but had a lot of potential. I see a continued devolution of Gaga as an artist. I have never much appreciated some of her sensationalist behavior, despite that she used to be a great musician...perhaps she still is, but she is struggling to convey that with her audience. This album symbolizes her disconnection.

The Fame - 9 (Excellent)
    Fame Monster - 8 (Great)
    Born this Way - 6.5 (Average)
    Artpop - 5 (Mediocre)

Now that I have listened to this album I can get back to a couple of friends that have encouraged me to listen to it since it is soooo much better than Born this Way.

braixen

the supreme meme
    Years
    I love Lady Gaga and I own all of her past albums and still listen to them constantly, but I am honestly disappointed with this album. Most of it sounds so bland and boring, and none of the lyrics were memorable at all, except for Applause (which I have listened to at least 50 times in a row LOL). The songs I enjoyed are MANiCURE, Swine, Applause, and Gypsy. Venus growed on me over time, though.

I was really hoping the music would be more like Applause, which is definitely my favorite track of this album, along with Gypsy. I still bought the album, though. It just doesn't fit to my tastes all that well.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    So its been two weeks since the leak, and a week since the release. That's given me plenty of time to really absorb the album and already the novelty wore off. With Born This Way, it lasted a good four months before it started to lose that, and I still ended up playing it nonstop until about a year after its release. With ARTPOP, while I still can listen to it and enjoy it for what it is, I've pretty much decided that I think its her worst album to date. As a whole, its all over the place, and while that's something I can appreciate, it has to be done right. I can't think of a sound for the album, and that's a problem.

Even with some genre bending albums in pop music alone right now (take Unapologetic by Rihanna, for instance), I can usually make out a signature sound that, if I heard it, that'll make me think of the album. Not a song from the album, but a sound that all the songs sort of give off. Its hard for me to explain what I mean by that. All her other albums have a sound that I associate with them, but ARTPOP just isn't doing it for me.

I can bop to all the songs, and I can appreciate them individually for what they are. But as a unit, it falls short, and I'm an album person. I like to listen to an album from start to finish.

Born This Way > The Fame Monster > The Fame > ARTPOP

Back