• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash Ketchum's religion?

What is Ash Ketchum's religion

• Atheist

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Scientologist

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Protestant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Catholic

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Judaism

• Islam

• Hinduism

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

Aqua Dream

That's not Ash!
    Years
    An interesting, yet difficult question. Though Ash has been seen celebrating christmas, he has also appeared in several paganistic prophecies, such as in the second movie. My assumption is that the humans in that world worship legendary Pokemon as gods, and that Ash is part of that religion.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Well, Ash Ketchum is an atheist. He does not even believe in God.

He does not practice religion at all in any anime episode. He does not go to church, recieve communion, or pray.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Jun 10, 2024
    Perhaps he is a Christian, and does not practice it? Or perhaps he is...ya know...one of those religions that doesn't do those things? Like Taoism?

Besides, it can be taken as canon fact that the Pokémon world sees the Legendary Pokémon as "gods". Aruseus, or the Creation Pokémon, Mew, the parent of all Pokémon, Ho-Oh, with its power to revive life... The list goes on. Even Groudon and Kyogre could be used to explain how the world was made from a theological sense.

The Christmas episode was from the early days. That was when the real world was referenced. Like France, China, and even Noah and his arc. Nowadays, the real world is referenced at a bare minimum, so...

And also, Christmas has really lost its more religious side. I mostly see people using it as an excuse to shop, spend, and become selfish...

So, perhaps in the Pokémon world, Christmas is seen as a time to practice what the Lord would have wanted you to practice: peace on Earth, and good will to all men. The Pokémon world wants this as much as any other world...

That said, I feel that Ash is a Pokémonist.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2009
    hmmm that is a good question ^.^

I dunno if anyone can give the answer... well, it never shows him pray, not even before battles. but he does get amazed looking at the stars and stuff at night. True he does celebrate Christmas, and Halloween.

Brock mentions the story of Noah's ark, on the S.S Anne episodes, so does that mean Brock reads the Bible? Ash seemed to be able to follow what he was talking about... sorta :\

I think he believes in something, but clearly doesn't go to church. He has a good heart tho! ^^ Ash is a sweetie. X3

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Well, you know Ash could "worship" some religion in the Pokemon world since there have been loads of religious stuff throughout the show. So I'd go with any Pokemon religion.
    ..... reminds me of that poll idea of what the Pokemon characters' nationalities would be if they corresponded with this world.. I hope that poll appears someday.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Well, you know Ash could "worship" some religion in the Pokemon world since there have been loads of religious stuff throughout the show. So I'd go with any Pokemon religion.
    ..... reminds me of that poll idea of what the Pokemon characters' nationalities would be if they corresponded with this world.. I hope that poll appears someday.

What religious stuff on the show? There are only a few references about religion on the show?

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    It's unlikely he'll be a Christian.. I mean, he was originally created by Japanese people.. and he also attended Japanese ceremonies and festivals.. Maybe you should consider adding the 'Shinto' religion.. =/

and also, I don't really think it's that appropriate to discuss about religion in a kids show.. lols :P

Typhoon XV

Servant of Khaine
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2014
    Pagan. It's that simple since it's unlikely that Jebus, Moses, or Muhammed would have lived in the Pokemon world. Anyone who says Scientology deserves to be locked in a damp dungeon for a week with rats.

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
    I would assume that Ash, for the sake of the show, would be atheist. There aren't really any implications of religions, god(s), or obvious places of worship. It's true that there are a LOT of Japanese customs, rituals, and holidays that are noted; for example, in "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" episode, they had the bon festival (or the toro nagashi which means lantern floating, and that marks the end of it). Those festivals are widely practiced by Buddhists since the lanterns signify the honor and, then departure, of their ancestors' spirits; and, Japan is primarily a Buddhist country.

Yeah, Christmas was celebrated in an episode; but, it wasn't in a Christian sort of way. Japan does celebrate Christmas...but not for the religious aspect of Jesus being born. It's pretty much just a day to exchange gifts, from what I understand. Then again, it's kind of sad how Christmas has gotten like that for a lot of Christians in the U.S., too...>_< Anyway, we don't really have too much evidence of Ash having a religion, but since the show is based off of Japan and its customs, I'd assume the writers may have made him Buddhist, or even Shinto...from what I mentioned about the Buddhist festivals. Then again, we might have to settle for atheist right now...due to lack of better information. *shrugs*

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    well anime is japanese, and japanese are shinto+bhuddist (neither on the list? lol). but i don't think ash's religion has ever needed to be important to the anime, so i'd say N/A (thus not voting)

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    So why aren't you going to say atheist, Hotaru. BTW, he does not practice Shintoism in the anime either. So where is the evidence that he practices Shintoism or Buddhism?

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    So why aren't you going to say atheist, Hotaru. BTW, he does not practice Shintoism in the anime either. So where is the evidence that he practices Shintoism or Buddhism?

I don't suppose they actually practise Shitoism or Buddhism, but neither do they practise other sorts of Christianity.. I would personally feel that Shintoism or Buddhism would be more feasible guesses.. Since the show is based on Japanese culture (as seen from their festivals etc).

Okay.. I know this post by ribozyme isn't directed to me, but I just replied anyways.. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    when i talk, i try say it how it is

i never said ash has any religion, i said japanese people are shinto+bhuddist.

and i don't say atheist because i say N/A (meaning "not applicable"). basicly by this i mean "it doesn't matter"

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Half of those poll ones I never even heard before..Well I guess I'll say his Christian though it's teh only religion I know..Teh others are just too not what I know..(Understand that XD)..But he believes in Pokemon so he could be a Imaginator(This type of religion my mind came up with)

<3 Nica--..Comes up with mah own religionz

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ah, I shall research about it then..But first I shall procrastinate finding out about it XD

<3 Nica--..Likes teh word now

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2006
    I'd have to say agonstic. Before 'pokemon 2000: the movie' he was probably atheist, but when how saw that the Pagan/Pokemonist beliefs were at least partially true, he got somewhat more philosohpical.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    And I thought things couldn't get any weirder. The show does not dive into any of the characters' "religions" as this is a kids' show. Religion has been mentioned very rarely, and it's usually in the form of praising a certain Pokemon or what not.

Back