• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash should be a demi-god trainer by now.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I realized this when I was on bulbapedia looking over his vast accomplishments...yet he still manages to get defeated by some random kid on the street. (This episode I just watched on CN)

Clearly the Anime has poor level-scaling. Ash should be demi-god champion tier by now, but instead they just keep beating the same thing over and over again.

Ash "learned" the same thing in episode (DP) as he did in episode...7?
    Something about believing in your pokemen to win. It's just stupid now.

I'm still waiting for a second series starring Ethan and a PICHU with Whitney following him. :<
    Maybe then they'd have actual quality episodes like bye bye butterfree since they're starting a journey from scratch, instead of having a mental retardation spray every time a new region shows up.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was the episode where Ash lost to Kenny's Empoleon. Well, he was using BUIZEL of all things. In the Japanese version he also mention he was testing out a new battling style. So that's why he lost. Brock never gave him a lecture about overconfidence in the Japanese version either. He originally said it was good of him to be testing out new ways to battle.

But yes, he should be a god trainer by now anyway.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • This is why I think that Ash should just become the Unova champion and retire as a pokemon master, but you can tell this isn't happening anytime soon. After traveling this many regions, the reset button just doesn't make since anymore.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it was the episode where Ash lost to Kenny's Empoleon. Well, he was using BUIZEL of all things. In the Japanese version he also mention he was testing out a new battling style. So that's why he lost. Brock never gave him a lecture about overconfidence in the Japanese version either. He originally said it was good of him to be testing out new ways to battle.

But yes, he should be a god trainer by now anyway.

Yeah it was.

That's the thing also, I found the battle to be stupid because Empoleon could dodge EVERYTHING and Buizel would just stand and stare like an idiot some times.

There's some episodes where Buizel is an absolute battle beast and can take on the world, then others where he's retarded like this one.

I think the retardation spray is a little too much, even for a show that's supposed to go on forever.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Makes me wonder...what if the anime is how it's supposed to be? Maybe the game is the one with the retardation spray, where there are little obvious levels and numbers that you can see to gauge how your Pokemon is changing and whether they're strong enough for another trainer, etc. Maybe you're supposed to be learning new things about Pokemon in every journey, they just can't convey it well enough in the games so they cut that part out and made it easier to understand :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    This is exactly what I was going to post about! I don't really "watch" the show on like some basis. I only really see it when its on the TV in the background, But what the hell is wrong with Ash? And Pikachu for that matter?

I mean Ash seems to know nothing about being a trainer, hes terrible at battling, and seems to forget everything hes known every generation. And that hes cloning Pikachus with all there memory but back at like "Lvl 5".

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2011
    This is exactly what I was going to post about! I don't really "watch" the show on like some basis. I only really see it when its on the TV in the background, But what the hell is wrong with Ash? And Pikachu for that matter?

I mean Ash seems to know nothing about being a trainer, hes terrible at battling, and seems to forget everything hes known every generation. And that hes cloning Pikachus with all there memory but back at like "Lvl 5".

quote for truth

ash should get out of the picture, bring ethan in this

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Yeah it was.

That's the thing also, I found the battle to be stupid because Empoleon could dodge EVERYTHING and Buizel would just stand and stare like an idiot some times.

There's some episodes where Buizel is an absolute battle beast and can take on the world, then others where he's retarded like this one.

I think the retardation spray is a little too much, even for a show that's supposed to go on forever.

Buizel's downfall started with the 6th Gym, where it got slaughterd by Steelix. By that time though, Chimchar had taken the spotlight and would hold that position until the end of the series. Torterra and Buizel suffered heavily because of it.

The thing about that episode was, that they wanted to give Kenny as good departure episode. He had been the punching bag throughout most of DP, and got knocked out of the Grand Festival for screwing up his appeals. He was also in love with Dawn. While I personally hate Kenny's character, and the handling of the episode...he did need a win pretty badly.

@ Alerek

Ash is far from a terrible battler. If he were, the people that he's beaten in the past are even worse. Overall he's won more than he's lost. You can choose to ignore the episodes where he's beaten people with great strageties if you want. They "reset" Ash because they want to appeal to younger audiences. They don't expect 18-23 year olds to still be following Ash, since the Kanto days. Hence why Ash is inconsistent.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

I suppose the reason why Ash's skills seem to "reset" every time he travels to a new region has to do with the reason, whatever it is, why he is always 10 years old.
    Ever notice that Pikachu is the only Pokémon he takes with him to new regions? That could very well explain why he is still 10 years old after 14 years.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    @ Alerek

Ash is far from a terrible battler. If he were, the people that he's beaten in the past are even worse. Overall he's won more than he's lost. You can choose to ignore the episodes where he's beaten people with great strageties if you want. They "reset" Ash because they want to appeal to younger audiences. They don't expect 18-23 year olds to still be following Ash, since the Kanto days. Hence why Ash is inconsistent.
    While I like the rest of your post, The thing is, Almost all the battles he "Wins" is from someone on the sidelines telling him something, it seems like every battle the people around him have to tell him things. I mean I understand they don't want him to change to much and such, But come on he at least needs to learn. Whenever I seem him battle I'll see him even use pokemon not even good to fight the other one, and then loses terribly for it? xD

Years
  • i could never understand how ash could like never age.
    hes like 40 something and dawn is like 10 0_0.....
    Our beloved FAQ speaks out for this:
    Will Ash ever become a Pokémon Master? Will he age? Will he ever be replaced?
    According to Masamitsu Hidaka, the former Director of the animé and a current storyboard artist, if Ash does become a Pokémon Master it would signify the end of the show. It was also stated that he wouldn't be replaced nor would he ever age.
    And as for the thread, I dislike saying this over and over again but.. Never mind, I'll just c/p some of my old posts.
    The writers need to do that to ensure that the show is a fresh start for the kids, the target audience. Ash will have to undergo all those cycles of defeats and then somehow beat his rival somewhere in the Pokemon League.
    Pikachu tends to experience a level reset at the start of every new region in one or the other way. This time it was Zekrom.

Get over it people, Ash becomes a rookie trainer again and Pikachu experiences a level reset just to make sure that the show is a fresh start for the new kids who start watching. How do you work out an Ash with an extremely powerful Pikachu going around beating every other Pokemon out there? Would be thrilling? The answer is no. As the story progresses further, Pikachu will be powerful again. n_n;

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I think mainly it's because if Ash repeatedly wins without a struggle, the show would be boring a predictive. I mean, come on, who wants to see Ash one hit KO each trainer/gym leader/E4 Member/Champion?

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • They "reset" Ash because they want to appeal to younger audiences. They don't expect 18-23 year olds to still be following Ash, since the Kanto days. Hence why Ash is inconsistent.

The writers need to do that to ensure that the show is a fresh start for the kids, the target audience. Ash will have to undergo all those cycles of defeats and then somehow beat his rival somewhere in the Pokemon League.

These. Exactly these!

To the wave of presumably hundreds and hundreds of (mostly young) new fans, everything is very new to them. They're falling in love with Pokemon the way we did when Kanto was all the rage. Why change a time-tested formula when it's so successful? They don't need to change Ash. He works- young boys, their main targets (at least, in Japan), LOVE him. More fans. More money. They don't care about the consistency of their characters, they care about MONEY. It's a business. It's sad, but that's the way it is. The anime is a gateway to video game profits, and vice-versa.

Call me shallow, but the only reason I'm taking more of an interest in Best Wishes! is definitely because of Cilan, as well as the fact that I prefer the aesthetics of the Gen V's Pokemon. Of course, there will be small differences here and there, but I doubt it's worth the catch-up of a few hundred episodes. That's just my opinion- I could be horribly mistaken or unfairly judgemental. Some people can't get enough of it, some people had enough years ago. On a deeper level, I do wish they keep Ash experienced, get him to mature more, actually AGE, but sadly, marketing and keeping it relevant to new audiences comes first.

In addition:

How do you work out an Ash with an extremely powerful Pikachu going around beating every other Pokemon out there? Would be thrilling? The answer is no. As the story progresses further, Pikachu will be powerful again.

There's definitely this as well, and you beat me to the punch. Not that I really watch the anime since Johto, mind you, but this is a good point. From the little I've watched (only read summaries) about what happened between the latter half of Johto, all of Hoenn and all of Sinnoh arcs, I'm sure Pikachu has been rising from the ashes each generation.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    While I like the rest of your post, The thing is, Almost all the battles he "Wins" is from someone on the sidelines telling him something, it seems like every battle the people around him have to tell him things. I mean I understand they don't want him to change to much and such, But come on he at least needs to learn.

You must have seen alot of Johto then. Because "people telling Ash something" hasn't happened since, Johto when it comes to battling. He was a mentor to May in Hoenn, and helped Dawn train in Sinnoh. Nobody told him how to win at all in Hoenn or Sinnoh. But, you said you don't watch it much anymore so it's understandable how you could come to that conclusion. Most of the time it was just Brock, and May/Dawn/Max talking about the current situation of the battle amongst themselves while watching him.

If you are watching Black, and White now...they are reusing the old dynamics of Ash/Misty/Brock again. So, it seems like Ash is a rookie again in this particular saga.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • yeah, ash should be like a super trainer by now, expecially the agitating fact that a starter snivy busted his pikchu into pieces, that's just so freek'n disturbing.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • You must have seen alot of Johto then. Because "people telling Ash something" hasn't happened since, Johto when it comes to battling. He was a mentor to May in Hoenn, and helped Dawn train in Sinnoh. Nobody told him how to win at all in Hoenn or Sinnoh. But, you said you don't watch it much anymore so it's understandable how you could come to that conclusion. Most of the time it was just Brock, and May/Dawn/Max talking about the current situation of the battle amongst themselves while watching him.

This. Ash is experienced, but the n00b mistakes he's making in Best Wishes are just awful. Not weakening Pokemon before throwing a Poke Ball, not putting Pokemon in situations where he gets type-advantage, not analyzing the situation enough beforehand. He's made a few smart moves in Best Wishes, but overall he looks subpar compared to another Trainer of his caliber.

The aging issue annoys me...the voice change gave an excuse for Ash's voice "deepening", so that's one of the ways he's aging. It appears that the next excuse I'll need to make after a few seasons is that somehow, Ash's growth was stunted... >_> But I guess the show stays more "accessible" for the younger fans, I guess... It just seems weird that Ash doesn't age, despite time "passing" with his repeated reference to past events.

Pikachu's nerfing annoys me even more. I mean, in BW010, he lost to a SERVINE. Who used CUT. I mean, COME ON. And Ash didn't even start out with Pikachu in the battle against Servine, and I assume plenty of kids under ten would have known to pit an Electric-type against a Flying-type Pokemon first, especially if said Electric-type Pokemon was the strongest one in your party. I can only chalk up Ash's Pikachu's nerfing to the "Zekrom incident" in BW001, which was "supposedly" resolved. However, I'll go with the assumption that despite Pikachu regaining its electrical powers, its level was altered severely as well.

Also, IIRC, it took Pikachu 10 episodes to score its first KO in the Unova region, while back in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, it typically managed to score KOs daily, repeatedly Thunderbolting Team Rocket as an early workout for breakfast. :cer_no: As long as there's a plausible reason for Pikachu's repeated nerfing like the Zekrom incident, I can accept it, but if an experienced Pikachu is losing to a newly-leveled Servine, it doesn't make sense.

In my opinion...if you want to take my advice...for those fans who are around my age,...if you're that bothered by a tv show where they reset Ash to rookie...pay attention to other characters besides him and don't worry about who to pair Ash with. It's only a suggestion.

This coming from a fan who likes this new season...esp. the ep with the Darumaka and Darmanitan.

Or imagine that Ash's Pikachu evolved into a Raichu in a banned episode...and thus got replaced by a weaker one...Raichu's son, baby Pikachu that's actually weaker... or imagine that Ash's IVs are the worst and he doesn't have the proper natures whereas the other trainers have perfect IVs like Youngster Joey and his Rattata. (What if Richie and Ash swapped Pikachu and Ash really had Sparky and thus didn't win in Johto Champion league?) Or if it's really a Ditto that Duplica got mixed up with? And it's a Pikachu impersonator? And Meowth's in on it, and Team Rocket actually got Ash's Pikachu and replaced it with a weaker one, telling it to pretend to fight with Ash or just listen to him and act as if it won so many battles. Or pretend his opponent's new Pokemon are level 100.

A bunch of those "excuses" seem like major stretches, and if anything major happened to Ash's original Pikachu, I think he'd notice right away, considering the strength of the bond they developed in the first episode, not to mention in Pikachu's Goodbye...

I'd be quite surprised if Professor Juniper managed to give out some rookie a Level 100 starter Pokemon. >_>

Oh, and furthermore, Ash was offered the status of freaking Frontier Brain. Frontier Brains should know all about type advantages and battling strategies, not losing to little tyro Trainers that have just received their first Pokemon. I mean, IIRC, the Pokemon of most Frontier Brains have a leveled minimum of Level 60. At the very least, Ash should be able to display a respectable performance to a/an (up-and-coming?) Gym Leader like Iris.

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
    Years
  • Yeah it was.

Same thing with pikachu. I know there are inconsistencies because pikachu beat a dragonite in the orange island league and a latias in the Sinnoh league; yet it lost toa snivvy in B/w.

Something is not right unless they are catering to newer fans. :(

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • Something is not right unless they are catering to newer fans. :(

Um, they've been catering to new fans for many years now. Trust me, I've been there since day one. The same principle as keeping an 'A' is harder than getting one, it's easier to recruit kiddlywinks than keep older fans interested.

Last edited:
    Back