• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

Ash's Pikachu: Male or Female?

• Male

Votes: 126 91.3%
  • Female

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
    Okay, I have undenyable proof that pikachu is a girl, that involves buneary AND phione. THink about it, wouldn't phione stop liking buneary if he found out that she liked a girl. Most guys I know would find that pretty wierd.

Also cerulean 15, the answer about piplup can also be found in the phione episode. Piplup went up to phione and started acting friendly... too friendly. It's possible that piplup is a girl. Duh! XD

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    the gender difference was only in the game not in the shows duh

any way its probably not true but lets just say that pikachus a female and that buneary a lesbian k
    it makes it a lot more fun
    The show is based on the game idiot lawl!
    theyve shown the gender differences before aswell

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    the gender difference was only in the game not in the shows duh

You DO realize that the Bidoof and Steelix episode had at least one Bidoof with the Male Gender Difference with several with the Female Gender Difference, right?

Well, anyways, I'd say Pikachu's male. For instance, we've already had Pikachu willingly wearing boy clothing (or Japanese equivalent of boy clothing) all the time (Barring Misty's fantasy of it wearing a dress.), the few times it wore girls dresses (like the maid outfit), it was clearly embarassed, Buneary had a crush on it, it was seen carrying packages in "Princess vs. Princess" (This one is a very BIG hint at it's gender, as the narrator said that the males at the Princess Festival are absolutely required to carry the packages.).

There were also a few times in Pikachu's goodbye where some of the Pikachu had niks on their tails that were extremely similar to the gender differences to Pikachu. I'd supply a screenshot, but sadly, Serebii.net doesn't seem to allow people to take screenshots from the episode pictures section.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    It's kinda sexist for you people to say these different Pokemon are "male" or "female" based off of personality. Ever heard of transgenderism? And besides... This is an Eastern cartoon dubbed in the West. Our cultures are vastly different with certain things acceptable there and not here and vice versa.

For example: James is gay in the Japanese anime. Yet in our dub, he's simply effeminate with the occasional gay implication slipped past the censors. So does anyone really think it unlikely a Pokemon couldn't also be gay/lesbian, or have a non-gender specific personality?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It's kinda sexist for you people to say these different Pokemon are "male" or "female" based off of personality. Ever heard of transgenderism? And besides... This is an Eastern cartoon dubbed in the West. Our cultures are vastly different with certain things acceptable there and not here and vice versa.

For example: James is gay in the Japanese anime. Yet in our dub, he's simply effeminate with the occasional gay implication slipped past the censors. So does anyone really think it unlikely a Pokemon couldn't also be gay/lesbian, or have a non-gender specific personality?

Umm, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought James was attracted to THREE females over the course of the Show, which implies that he's not gay, even in the japanese version?

And I didn't even bring up gender based on personality traits.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm just going with the fact that Pikachu was groping Ash's momma. Nah, I've always thought Pikachu was a boy. I can't explain it, though. It's just a hunch.

noobiot100

Beginning Trainer of Awesome!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2009
    I really don't know, but if Dawn's buneary is a female, then pikachu is probably a male.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Umm, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought James was attracted to THREE females over the course of the Show, which implies that he's not gay, even in the japanese version?

And I didn't even bring up gender based on personality traits.
    It's all according to context. James could have been going ga-ga over females to suggest they were just so beautiful and make a joke that even the gay guy is into them... But to be honest, I really don't know. Of course there's no references on Bulbapedia, but I have read he was before in a discussion on original/dub differences.

I wasn't referring specifically to you, but to pretty much everyone that's posted in here.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Most pokemon are non-masculine in appearance, but you can generally tell by the character what they are.
    If it was my world, Pikachu might end up a girl (hehe- I mean, eeeww! XD), but canon implies, if not states that he's a he.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It's all according to context. James could have been going ga-ga over females to suggest they were just so beautiful and make a joke that even the gay guy is into them... But to be honest, I really don't know. Of course there's no references on Bulbapedia, but I have read he was before in a discussion on original/dub differences.

I wasn't referring specifically to you, but to pretty much everyone that's posted in here.

Well, I don't think a "homosexual guy" would even be attracted to one girl. Plus, you have to take into account the episode "Ghost of Maidens Peak" where he was clearly smitten with the ghost.

Last edited:

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
    I've been watching it for a loooong time now and Pikachu is a male. In many episodes there are many references that Pikachu is a %100.0 Pure MALE.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Nah all pokemon are females... havent you noticed none of them have a.... candy cane or wang? Meaning theyre all lesbians. So to make eggs the alien grandma at the daycare multiplys them into unborn versions. :) Some same types and species are diffrent from each other because theyre the evil opposites! The opposites are evil twins! :o
    LOL. I actually couldn't stop laughing at that.

Buneary is female and since Buneary likes Pikachu, and considering that Buneary isn't a lesbian, Pikachu is concluded to be male.

Damnit, I was gonna say that.. D:

PikaBelleChu

Pikachu Princess
    Years
    There actually has been a few eps that pikachu is refered to as a he, one main one is the ep where it's princess day.There is of course the game differences with the tail but that was long after the fact of the anime and with that would also mean pikachu's were never pichu's cause in pikachu's goodbye you clearly see baby sized pikachu's compared to the adult sized pika's in that ep and no pichu's were present.

arceusx

Marshtomp lover #1!
    Years
    I've got TV information.

Phione was a female ad had a crush on buneary, which makes buneary a dude, and he liked ash's pikachu, which must mean pikachu a girl!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I've got TV information.

Phione was a female ad had a crush on buneary, which makes buneary a dude, and he liked ash's pikachu, which must mean pikachu a girl!

They didn't mention Phione's gender in the episode, from what I remember.

Back