• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA Ask and I'll tell all my secrets

Years
    • Seen today
    A bit more of a serious one, because you've posted about it. What do you think are the most positive benefits of sobriety, and do you think it's changed your life perspective in any way? (and congratulations on it!)

At least I'm pretty sure it was you who posted about it. If not ignore the question, instead what's your favorite ice cream flavor?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    A bit more of a serious one, because you've posted about it. What do you think are the most positive benefits of sobriety, and do you think it's changed your life perspective in any way? (and congratulations on it!)

At least I'm pretty sure it was you who posted about it. If not ignore the question, instead what's your favorite ice cream flavor?
    Haha, yup, that was me! And god, yes, sobriety changed everything about me!

I'll go a little at length here so for those who don't want to hear about drug addiction and near death, please skip the spoiler.
    Spoiler:

edit: favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry! :3

Are you musical? Can you sing or do you play an instrument?
    Loooordy no not even a little bit! I love music dearly but sing or play an instrument? Absolutely not, hahaha, I think I might legitimately be tone deaf. It's my fiancé who is the musical one -- he's a trumpet player who played with the Talking Heads if you've ever heard of them! :)

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years

What an incredible story Fairy. Thank you for sharing that very personal part of your life. I for one am glad that you are still here. This world would not be the same without your light. And you are so right about the little things in life. The stuff that we all take for granted each day. We need to fully appreciate all of those things...words of wisdom and words to live by.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    ^Remember when I said there was a period in my life where I was completely disconnected from my art? Well, that's why. I was very sick and instead of coping in positive ways like drawing, I self medicated.

It's just one of the many war stories I have from that time in my life. I'm happy to answer questions about that period or just random, silly whatever questions. I'm an open book. :)

Years
    Jo you're an inspiration to everyone of us. thank you for being open about it to us, and for not giving up on life, PC wouldn't be the same without you <3

now for a more light hearted question :3 how did you get into Pokemon, and what was your favorite type before Fairy existed?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    If you could paint a picture of any scenery you've seen before, what would you paint?

Man that's a tough one. I would have to say this one particular mountain top.. of course the name escapes me right now, but my fiancé and I hiked for HOURS into the woods and took a small bike path to find this clearing. It as about 20 feet wide before a drop off to an amazingly sheer cliff. This overhang was up so high that the birds were flying below us. We, haha, ended up getting lost on the way back to the trail and it was getting really dark. Of course our phones didn't have any signal all the way out in the middle of nowhere so we legit had to contemplate building a lean-to from branches and waiting until morning. Luckily, we were only maybe a mile out from the lake's entrance so we got out fine but damn that was an adventure. Getting lost was exciting and scary and quite an adrenalin rush.. But man, the view of that mountain scape. It was like you could see the whole Appalachian Trail from there -- I'm memorialize it in paint for sure.

Edit: just asked the fiancé and it was in Mahlon Dickerson State Park. :D

Another one that comes to mind is when my fiancé and I first started dating (and likewise first got sober as I was his drug dealer). He had come to my house with flowers and one of which was a tiny unopened bud. And he delicately began peeling away the leaves and petals while I watched in confusion to reveal the beautiful, purple inner stem of this flower. He said to me, "we're the only two people in the world who have ever seen this". And that stuck with me in such a profound way. I would paint those flowers and the opened bud.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Jo you're an inspiration to everyone of us. thank you for being open about it to us, and for not giving up on life, PC wouldn't be the same without you <3

now for a more light hearted question :3 how did you get into Pokemon, and what was your favorite type before Fairy existed?

Thank you.. But I promise my story is just one of many. I made it out alive, but there's still so many more struggling.. please send your graces to them. <3

So I was first caught up in the Pokemon wave that happened in the mid-90s like every other child of the 90s, haha. I had seen classmates talk about it, watched it on TV, and eventually talked my parents into buying me the game! We had already had a Gameboy Pocket Silver because my mom liked to play Tetris on it hehe. Obviously I loved it but what really converted me into the fan I am today was the TCG. My dad had bought me a booster pack and in that pack was the legendary misprinted Ninetales with no damage counter. And when I pointed it out to him, he got down on my level and held my hand and said "take care of this forever, you never know how much it might be worth".

He taught me how to start collecting things, bought me binders and sleeves and cases and everything I would need. I eventually amassed a collection that I'm very proud of and, yes, I still have the Ninetales to this day and yes my dad still support my Pokemon card collecting.

In fact, he texted me yesterday saying that he picked up some Happy Meals because he knew they were doing a Pokemon card promotion lmfao.

Sorry that was so long winded. Now for your second question! I actually identified exclusively as a Dark type trainer. Some of my favorites are Dark types, like Tyranitar, Scarfty, Umbreon, Weavile, Drapion, Zoroark, Absol, Houndoom, Obstagoon... I mean I can go on. It would be easier to list the Dark pokemon I don't care for lol. But yeah! Before I became unanimous with Fairies the Darklings were by babies. <333 They'll always hold a special place in my heart. Not quite like my Fairy tattoo, but in my heart nonetheless.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    If you could do anything for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I'd help people, preferably using my art. When I'm able to afford it, I was to go to University again and major in Art Therapy so I can help people dealing with trauma put that pain onto canvas. And be a vessel to the beauty of art healing others.

edit: lmao or a paleontologist i fucking love dinosaurs man

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    What's the significance of your Sylveon tattoo? Why does the Fairy type mean so much to you?

So, when the Fairy type was officially revealed, I was still in a very unstable place in my life. I had some time under my belt sober, but my mom had died and I was undiagnosed and unmedicated. And when I first saw Sylveon I just... it just made me so happy! I couldn't help but to smile whenever I looked at it. Especially its description "The Intertwining Pokemon". So Sylveon, and by extension the Fairy type as a whole, brought me mentally and physically more "together" feeling. I was finally starting to see progress in my art from my ten year hiatus and Nick (my fiancé) and I really became a serious couple. Also, you know, I'm a dragon slayer. :p

And since the TCG Fairy symbol sort of represents all of the Fairy pokemon, it just felt like the perfect fit for me. Then, I illustrated a Sylveon bow overtop of it. It represent that I need to be creative, I need to intertwine my health and my mind, that I need to stay fun and hold close things that are dear to me. Lastly, Sylveon's color palette is like the trans pride flag! And while I'm not trans myself, I am LGBTQIA+ and definitely a supporter, so there's just a little added bonus there because I want to literally wear my support on my sleeve.

Here's a picture of my tattoo. Not the real one since it's still fairly new and a little bruised but this is what I sent my artist. It's a but of a subtle tattoo in that only Pokemon fans would really recognize it. Otherwise it's just a sweet looking piece to the uninitiated, haha.
    Spoiler:

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years

Again, thank you for sharing. Your life is so fascinating and inspirational. Hearing your story offers hope for so many in your similar situation. Yes, you are a dragon slayer! After everything that you have gone through and endured.

If you could have dinner with any 3 people, alive or dead, who would you pick and why?

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    np

What piece of art (book, music, movie, etc.) most influenced the person you are today?

Movies:
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Wes Anderson
    The Silence of the Lambs - Johnathan Demme

Music:
    clipping. - Daveed Diggs
    Hamilton - Lin Manuel Miranda
    Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective

Books:
    House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
    The Traitor Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Art:
    Hideo Kojima