• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Asperger's Syndrome

Years
    I'm very surprised at the amount of people here who are diagnosed with Asperger's or Autism. When I was a kid, back in the 1980's, I've never really heard of it at all. I guess it's only prevalent in the 90's and 2000's. However, I was sort of messed up when I was a kid.

In my earliest memories, my parents took me a a lot of people because I seemed different. I never asked them why to this day. It didn't help that I said the wrong thing to somebody who deals with psychological problems and I got sent to a mental hospital when I was 12. I don't know, but that seemed to effect me in the wrong way. It was the start of me not really giving a crap about myself and the world around me.

My brother was normal and succeeded while I struggled in everything and or had no interest. Socializing with people is something I don't care for, but I actually went to school dances just to get out of the house. I just stuck around and did nothing while watching the stuff happen. I had some friends in school, but I never went outside my little circle into the great unknown, so to speak. Despite my not caring much about people, I do show empathy to people when they went through something bad or tragic.

So, I don't know what my issues really are. I never bothered to see anybody about it because I took meds for my depression and anti-socialness for years after being released from the looney bin and it backfired. It made me more negative towards everything. I stopped cold turkey and that seem to help me out.

In conclusion, I'm surprised to see more kids being diagnosed with either Autism or Asperger's these days. Is it really thatand kids these days are developing in a different direction or are parents these days too lazy or busy to be good parents and go to doctors for miracle medicine that will make their kids more perfect when they could do better?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    In conclusion, I'm surprised to see more kids being diagnosed with either Autism or Asperger's these days. Is it really thatand kids these days are developing in a different direction or are parents these days too lazy or busy to be good parents and go to doctors for miracle medicine that will make their kids more perfect when they could do better?
    The reason more people are being diagnosed nowadays is because psychiatrists and those kind of people have a better understanding of these issues. Kids may or may not be developing differently; it is hard to tell because the understanding we have of these disorders is relatively new.

Most parents do not, in fact, put their children on medication unless the child seriously needs it. Most people I know on medication are actually on it for (misdiagnosed, might I add) ADHD. All of the people I know personally who are on the Autism Spectrum are not and never will be on medication. Their parents know that it would not be beneficial to their children, and instead do whatever they themselves can to help their kids.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    My school actually brought someone in to watch me while I was in class, and see if I had ADHD. I don't think my parents were involved at all.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Urgh. Schools especially like to "diagnose" kids with ADHD and EBD. It's like they want to find some excuse for their behavior. I was treated as an EBD student for seven years and put into classes with them... most of them were just brats who couldn't be bothered to listen to people.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I don't doubt your word. I'm just saying schools are generally terrible when it comes to diagnosing disorders.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I suspect that I may have it, but since I've never been formally diagnosed, I'm not gonna say for sure. XD

The biggest signs are my lack of empathy for others and my tendency to go through sporadic periods of obsession with certain movies/video games. I wouldn't call myself clumsy, but I was a bit of a spaz as a kid before I started conditioning my body. XD

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I don't think I have it, as I am very empathetic, good at understanding people, have a good imagination etc. However, my best friend does. And even he didn't know he had it until he was about 15, so yeah... XD

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Hate to sound harsh...

but Asperger's, I think, is a derivative of Autism that is over-diagnosed.

I know people with "Aspergers's" and they had few problems, besides being somewhat ADHD. Some others diagnosed with the condition also were able to completely correct themselves from it with no medication. People forget that humans are dynamic creatures, and even if we are born with some conditions, we can change ourselves over time if we work at it. Of course, I'm not saying that Asperger's doesn't exist, and certainly people with severe cases should be treated medically, but others can mend themselves and don't need to pay their homage to the great pharmaceutical god pharmaceutical companies.

I can't say that I really believe in all this "drug me up" stuff. When growing up, a bunch of doctors said I had this disorder and that disorder, but my mother never gave into their pleas to buy their medications... and now, almost an adult, I'm a completely functional human being. I can't say that I'm without my quirks, but nobody is. Most people in the world view me as a reasonable member of society, despite all the apparent "problems I had with my brain".

ConPO

I am the Catalyst
    Years
    Yes, Asperger's syndrome. I have that.

However I know a lot of people who also have it, and we're like minded people who understand each other... to a point. Remember, we're all different human beings.

I was surprised when my mother told me that I had it. It came out of the blue for me. I knew a lot about it but I had no idea I had it. Perhaps I was just not seeing any of the aspects of it in me.

Still, now it's just an add-on to my already quirky personality.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    I have it as well, and I hate it, a lot. It feels very... limiting.

I'm extremely clumsy to the point that I get people to open certain things for me so I cannot spill it on myself or anywhere for that manner, and I'm also sensitive. I'm also "OCD" [to put it lightly and in an acronym] about stupid things. Like washing my hair before going out somewhere, eat almost everything with utensil and/or only use one hand when eating, having my eyeliner as dark as possible. That's just the tip of the iceberg. =x

Oh, and I'm also a huge misanthropist.

Years
    My mother thought I had it for the reason that I was never social. I used to be very social, but most of my friends either moved away or we grew apart. I now am back in the social scene. I finally made her take me to the doctor where I was told that I didn't have it.
    I know a few students who have more advanced versions of it, and they are extremely smart. It can get a little annoying but I usually just ignore it.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    I don't know too much about Asperger's syndrome. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it until late last year when I found out my friend Elissa was diagnosed with it.

To be honest, I never would have guessed she had any type of disorder at all. She seemed (for lack of a better word) completely normal ._.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    ^ Yeah, that really is the case with most people. It's still an issue, and it makes things difficult, but you can work around it, and live a normal life without too much trouble.

RainbowWing

Returned from the ashes
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2018
    I have Aspergers Syndrome.
    It can be a bit hard sometimes to communicate, but at the end, i'm an anime nerd xP.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I don't know too much about Asperger's syndrome. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it until late last year when I found out my friend Elissa was diagnosed with it.

To be honest, I never would have guessed she had any type of disorder at all. She seemed (for lack of a better word) completely normal ._.
    What's the point in a diagnosis if she's completely normal and functional? Sure, she may have some different quirks, but people forget that quirks are normal and if we diagnosed everyone in the world we'd have a plethora of ******** mental disorders.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
    When I was nine years old, I was told I had this. Seems these days, anyone who doesn't run with the herd has a mental illness...but I don't really care, as the special education group they put me in up until eight grade was a nice break from the regular grind of the school day.:bandit:

Years

Yeah that's the big issue with Asperger's/Autism these days- whether or not it's a disorder at all (according to some) and what constitutes the "normal" benchmark of development. :/

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I have a lot of friends who have it. Like, 4 or 5 of my closest friends at the point that they were my closest friends have it. I remember telling my mum that and she suggested that I might have it. I mean, I had terrible social skills when I was in primary school, but now I know how to talk to someone without sounding like a complete nerd. And I stack things like coins and I like things to be uniform, but isn't that just human nature? And I have interests that I seem to obbsess about, but I never really "excelled" (I'm more of an all rounder kind of person in everything. Except sports).

I see the words "autism" and "ADHD" and "ADD" prop up more and more these days. I mean, I know they are syndromes and conditions that are quite serious, but people think just because a child has a certain quirk, it immediately means that they are diagnosed with a certain disorder and now said parent has the right to complain about it at every dinner party and milk as much money out of the government as they possibly can. I know people who have the real deal of those diseases am I am personally quite disgusted that parents would use those conditions as an excuse why their child is going out of control. Of course, it can never be because they just are bad parents!

Also, a question: Is Asperger's genetic? Does anyone know?

Back