• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • One of them 'Shay' he's only 6, but he doesn't know how to talk and his autism makes him hit his head hard, so he has to wear a protective helmet. It's rather sad seeing it, His mum always needs alot of help too.

Oh gosh, I hate that for him. :( I hope one day he can overcome that and be able to not wear it. It's one of those things that draws negative attention, you know? I mean obviously he needs it cause he doesn't need to hurt himself, but it makes him stand out in a bad way, and I really do hope that he's not confined to wearing it forever. And yeah, raising an Autistic child is a challenge. It's actually sometimes the cause for divorce between couples. I don't know where on the scale it lies, but it's in there from what I've read.

Either way, for some reason, Autistic Children seem to love bonding with me. ^.^
    And I love them to bits!! :3

They really are amazing, aren't they? I find that special needs children are always a delight. When I was younger, I had a classmate with intellectual disability, but he was a great person to be around. He didn't talk much, but when he did, he was always very polite and he complimented people a lot and he was always voted Friendliest in our class. I also knew a little boy with a severe visual and hearing impairment (he wasn't totally deaf or blind) who had a big attachment to me. He could barely see or hear me, but he knew when I was around and usually wanted me to hold him. I think that's what kind of pushed me to work with children in general, and not just special needs children.

Years
  • I just read something in the news about a study that suggests there's a link between autism (well, not just autism) and a mother's obesity during pregnancy. They can't say if they think it's a cause or not since they didn't study women while they were pregnant though.

[article is here]

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • Just thought I'd throw this out there....

My daughter, Ivy, has Autism.
    She just turned 7 at the end of March, and is just now starting to put sentences together. True, they're 3 words or so, but it's better than when she was 3 and didnt understand a thing. Imagine trying to potty train someone who cant process what you're trying to tell them. -.-()

My husband and I, through wading in the trenches of information, teachers and the like, have noticed that we have some autistic traits as well. Not enough to be put on the spectrum in any way, so, I guess it's more like Autistic-isims. Was it passed down? Probably.

Through all this, we've noticed things. My husband is movie and music nut. I'm the same way with writing and books. Ivy...well, we havent figured out yet. Though, she does have an accurate memory, and can figure out how to get on top of the 'fridge if she wanted to. :D

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Wow, I really didn't notice this ****. I'm unbelievable.

Anyways, I'm autistic. I got diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was very young (like 3 or so, I really don't know) and tbh I have noticed at various times throughout my life I've had quite a few autistic traits, mainly to do with like obsessions and stuff. I think the first one was like intricate designs (which started off as maps, strangely enough), then Pokémon a bit later.

Right now I'm into music, mainly. It's insane; I can barely go a day without it, I'm like obsessed. (I feel sorry for the next poor **** I end up geetting a crush on lol, they'll suffer the same fate)

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • Most people who knew me as a little kid (think 3-6 years) were sure I had some minor form of autism. I never really considered it a disability, it just kinda makes me weird.

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • Not weird. Unique. Like how most normal humans should be.
    I'm honestly more suspicious of the Cleaver-esque families than I am of the ones with 'flaws'.

Right now I'm into music, mainly. It's insane; I can barely go a day without it, I'm like obsessed. (I feel sorry for the next poor **** I end up geetting a crush on lol, they'll suffer the same fate)

That's my husband. If he's not strumming, he's writing or listening or downloading. Or all of the above. Do you play by any chance?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Years
  • Autism is growing at an alarming rate, I believe the latest stats now say that 1 in 81 children between ages 1-5 or so have it...maybe it is linked to the obesity epidemic which is also growing...
    By the way I found this interesting article on that might explain why boys have autism more than girls https://www.canada.com/Genetic+glitch+could+explain+gender+bias+autism/6449741/story.html
    That's an interesting study, but it's still a little confusing when I think about how autism still doesn't have a set definition. How can they say that something genetic causes autism when we're still not 100% sure what's included in the phrase "autism"? I wonder if this study then suggests that females and males have different forms of autism? Maybe I need to reread that study better, but that's the impression I got from it.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Not weird. Unique. Like how most normal humans should be.
    I'm honestly more suspicious of the Cleaver-esque families than I am of the ones with 'flaws'.

That's my husband. If he's not strumming, he's writing or listening or downloading. Or all of the above. Do you play by any chance?

I do, actually. I play piano, guitar and I sing.
    Yeah, ridiculous.

Livewire_

Knight of Three
    Years
  • Autism is growing at an alarming rate, I believe the latest stats now say that 1 in 81 children between ages 1-5 or so have it...maybe it is linked to the obesity epidemic which is also growing...
    By the way I found this interesting article on that might explain why boys have autism more than girls https://www.canada.com/Genetic+glitch+could+explain+gender+bias+autism/6449741/story.html

It's actually not. They widened the criteria for an autism spectrum disorder, so when you group more criteria altogether, more people fit those criteria. The disorder itself is no more common than it was several years ago.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Digimon Kaiser said:
    Because Satoshi Tajiri himself has Aspergers, like us!

Ah right. "like us"?

It's actually not. They widened the criteria for an autism spectrum disorder, so when you group more criteria altogether, more people fit those criteria. The disorder itself is no more common than it was several years ago.

Yeah this, I imagine. I really don't see why it would be becoming more common when there's not much of an advantage to having it. If it was an advantageous thing that generally let people with autism have some huge advantage which no-one else has then that'd make sense but... it's not, is it? Or at least I never considered it to be lol.

Years

• Yeah this, I imagine. I really don't see why it would be becoming more common when there's not much of an advantage to having it. If it was an advantageous thing that generally let people with autism have some huge advantage which no-one else has then that'd make sense but... it's not, is it? Or at least I never considered it to be lol.

There's a lot of reasons for the massive increases in diagnoses and the widening of the "spectrum", everything from more money for doctors and drug companies (due to increased diagnoses and medicines) and whatnot. There really isn't much logic behind it.

Spiderz

old hat
    Years
  • Because Satoshi Tajiri himself has Aspergers, like us!

oh and me too!

i love having aspergers and the conversations that follow it, everyone comes to the conclusion "oh so aspergers people are actually pretty gifted" and the healthcare and unemployment benefits are basically "shy awesome person nerd tax"

if you can pick up chicks and actually talk to people pretty well, everything else is pretty sweet eh.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2020
    Autistic people seem to draw a lot, like mostly with MS Paint.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I wouldn't have been my sarcastic, hilarious, meme-loving self if it wasn't for my Autism.

When those see me on PC, they think I don't have it however my actual appearance isn't what they are expecting.

Autism makes me quirky, which is why I have a Quirky nature.

@Freako During my early years, I had artistic talent that was caused by my Autism. I even have smarter-than-average attitude, which is why I tend to be sneaky.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    I personally think Asperger syndrome is overdiagnosed. Some of the people who supposedly have it seem completely normal to me, if not just a bit on the shy/introverted side so I'm rather skeptical. I've met a number of people with 'Asperger syndrome' and while some do seem to genuinely have a lack of the understanding of social mannerisms, others just seem to be shy kids with overprotective parents who don't let them get out much. A big difference between the two and I speak with experience.
    My experience comes from my exposure to many autistic children. I went to a primary school where some autistic kids went for a few days a week when they didn't go to the nearby special school and you could distinguish the disorder by the look of them and how they acted. Some of the kids with mild autism didn't go to the special school for ASDs but you could still pick them out. As for most of the 'Aspies' I've come across, I suspect the vast majority were misdiagnosed. I've even been suspected of having it because I was a loner in high school. However, that's all changed now because it was never my lack of social understanding and empathy (in fact I scored very highly in a test of empathy) but being around the wrong people for so long as well as being an empath and needing to recharge my social batteries every now and then which made me seem somewhat isolated. I think nowadays I'm actually a bit TOO social xD Hence I think environmental factors linked to supposed 'symptoms' should be looked at rather than jumping to a diagnosis for anything as tentative as AS (where the symptoms are so vague anyone naturally timid or a social misfit at the time can be considered to have the disorder).

Years
  • I was diagnosed with Asperger's in third grade. After that I immediately switched schools to go to one with a good special-ed program (I've been in gifted classes since kindergarten, I've never been in any other special ed classes.) I never noticed anything, really. I just had poor social skills and narrow interests. In this special-ed program, I was in a small class of only 3 (later 5) kids in which we just did normal lessons, and some social adaptations. I was in that class all day, however we went to regular ed classes in a pull-out type program. I only went to reading, math, and science regular ed classes. This was in 5th grade (I don't remember 4th grade at all, except for the fact that it was a similar program).

Summertime between 5th-6th grade was fun, vacations and all.

Then came 6th grade. It would seem like a hard transition, but not really. I was still in a special ed program. This program was different from the previous. In this program, we had a ten-person social adaptation class for 1st period. We did typical social practices, we played board games, watched movies, and also prepared for the day. This was the only special-ed class I had in 6th grade, besides gifted social studies and lang/lit. For second period, I had a regular ed science class. We sat in groups and I mostly got along with my peers. For third period, I had a gifted language arts class. This class was small, 10 people, and did typical language arts activities. Most of my friends were in this class and 5th period. After third we had lunch, then came 4th period (PE class). I am moderately athletic, so 4th was one of my favorite classes. After 4th I had gifted literature, Similar to 3rd period, it was a small class. My only "true" friend was in this class. 6th was just math. I enjoyed mathematics, so it was a good class (amazing teacher, too). 7th was gifted social studies. Again, like all of my other gifted classes, small class. 6th grade was a tough year for me because I only had one true friend, let's just call her Jess. You see, I never talked to Jess during lunch or 5th. I only talked to her outside of school. During lunch, because I really had no friends, I sneaked/snook into the gym locker room to play some video games I kept in either my backpack or my pockets. Never was caught. It's now only the summer after 6th grade. No one except my family or friends in my special ed classes knows that I have Asperger's. I really never cared for my disability, because I never noticed anything. I don't have it as bad as some others, but it is hard to deal with sometimes. Perhaps the reason I never noticed anything is because I thought what I had was just "normal". I can, however, happily say that my disability has cleared up a bit, and that now I can live without being held back by this as much as I was in 4th and 5th grade.

Back