• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen B/W Greatest pokemon game... ever?

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
    Definitely the best Pokemon game ever. I've grown up with the original RBY, so seeing Pokemon come this far makes me really proud that I've grown up alongside it to see it become so impressive. :'D

There was just so much more thought that was put into this game than I've seen in any of the other Pokemon games so far. I honestly hated DPP with a passion and thought it tried but failed at presenting a complex plot, so this game is a pleasant surprise. I came into this game expecting a mediocre display of a plot that sounded good on paper, but it was executed so nicely that I just couldn't help but fall in love with it. It went depths into Pokemon that we'd never considered or even touched upon in other games.

ALSO another feeling I got from this game is how involved you feel in the plot. I mean I don't know, in the earlier games it just felt like you were some kid that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. There just didn't really feel like there was a reason for you to be doing whatever you were doing except OMG IT'S THE RIGHT THIIIIING. But N's odd interest in you really pulls you in the plot, makes you a real part of it rather than the punk kid just meddling around. Did anyone else get that feeling or was it just me? D:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    In order, my favourites are:

#1: HGSS (Crystal; Gold; Silver)
    #2: BW
    #3: LGFR (Red; Green; Blue; Yellow)
    #4: R/S/E
    #5: P/D/Pt

BW is great, but HGSS surpasses it. BW introduced actively moving sprites, but HGSS introduced interactive walking sprites of all Pokemon - an improvement to PKMN Yellow, which had Pikachu available. BW removed perfect breeding (a problem for many); HGSS didn't mind it, or just ignored its existence without realizing it at least. Though BW introduced new Pokemon, half or more do not have any charisma, and are plain ugly or unrealistic for "living creatures" roaming a Pokemon region (I'm looking at you, Klink, Conkeldur thing, Sawk, Throh, Confragigus, Garbordor, Vanilluxe, Amoongus, Chandelure, Crygonal, Bisharp, ). HGSS focused more on the first generations where Pokemon were more animal-like, with the sole exception of Magnemite. As time went on, I found Nintendo strive away from a human-animal environment, and more towards a human-wtfisthis environment. Their ideas are running out, so now they're resorting to distorting objects into Pokemon to fill space.

There are other examples. It's not nostalgia; BW is #2 for me, where P/D/Pt sucked bad and is at #5. It's the fact BW left out a lot of stuff (headbutt trees, berries, apricots, night/day Pokemon, Level 100 WiFi battles, etc.) and replaced it with unsatisfactory material and unthoughtful Pokemon. The additions of seasons was nice, but not many Pokemon are affected by it, and it doesn't really affect appearance rates that much either, except on certain bird species in winter being replaced with x Ice Pokemon. Night/day had a lot more doors compared to seasons - though, had Nintendo exploited it well enough, seasons could have been equally as interesting. I just find their attempt at it poor.

HGSS and BW share equally interesting storylines, but BW doesn't allow you to venture into other regions, etc. which is nice about HGSS. Also adds more gameplay.

I've done ~45h on Black since last Wednesday'ish, 'am at the final gym. Audino grinding is probably the cheapest method of leveling, but hey, they removed rebattles (which HGSS had, to an extent), so they had to replace it with something, I guess.

2cents.

Last edited:

Shinjiaoki94

Punk Leader
    Years
    In order, my favourites are:

#1: HGSS (Crystal; Gold; Silver)
    #2: BW
    #3: LGFR (Red; Green; Blue; Yellow)
    #4: R/S/E
    #5: P/D/Pt

BW is great, but HGSS surpasses it. BW introduced actively moving sprites, but HGSS introduced interactive walking sprites of all Pokemon - an improvement to PKMN Yellow, which had Pikachu available. BW removed perfect breeding (a problem for many); HGSS didn't mind it, or just ignored its existence without realizing it at least. Though BW introduced new Pokemon, half or more do not have any charisma, and are plain ugly or unrealistic for "living creatures" roaming a Pokemon region (I'm looking at you, Klink, Conkeldur thing, Sawk, Throh, Confragigus, Garbordor, Vanilluxe, Amoongus, Chandelure, Crygonal, Bisharp, ). HGSS focused more on the first generations where Pokemon were more animal-like, with the sole exception of Magnemite. As time went on, I found Nintendo strive away from a human-animal environment, and more towards a human-wtfisthis environment. Their ideas are running out, so now they're resorting to distorting objects into Pokemon to fill space.

There are other examples. It's not nostalgia; BW is #2 for me, where P/D/Pt sucked bad and is at #5. It's the fact BW left out a lot of stuff (headbutt trees, berries, apricots, night/day Pokemon, Level 100 WiFi battles, etc.) and replaced it with unsatisfactory material and unthoughtful Pokemon. The additions of seasons was nice, but not many Pokemon are affected by it, and it doesn't really affect appearance rates that much either, except on certain bird species in winter being replaced with x Ice Pokemon. Night/day had a lot more doors compared to seasons - though, had Nintendo exploited it well enough, seasons could have been equally as interesting. I just find their attempt at it poor.

HGSS and BW share equally interesting storylines, but BW doesn't allow you to venture into other regions, etc. which is nice about HGSS. Also adds more gameplay.

I've done ~45h on Black since last Wednesday'ish, 'am at the final gym. Audino grinding is probably the cheapest method of leveling, but hey, they removed rebattles (which HGSS had, to an extent), so they had to replace it with something[/u], I guess.

2cents.

So too speak, BW is certainly great with exception for Pokemon design...
    I miss the auto use of Running in HGSS already :(
    Though the C-gear is better off being one of selection in the menu rather than the whole lower screen :P

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    The plot is also far deeper and more complex than anything that's come before, [S-HIGHLIGHT]asking us to consider if catching and battling Pokemon is morally wrong[/S-HIGHLIGHT]. N is probably the most interesting, fleshed-out character the series has ever produced.

See, this is why this generation would've been the PERFECT time to introduce Missingno. as an official Pokemon, where it could keep its gamebreaking effects but be perfectly OK at the same time. Take Hall of Fame data for example. Your data would LOOK like its corrupted, but it is not in actually. Simply releasing Missingno. would eliminate Missingno.'s "graphical tricks" and such. Even if unintentional and its status as a Pokemon unofficial, Missingno. demonstrated to players all the way back in Generation 1 why catching every Pokemon/adhering to "Gotta Catch 'Em All" isn't necessarily a good idea.

Anyway, the Pokemon Black and White Versions games started out as being contenders for "best Pokemon games ever", and I hadn't even played them yet. The first two revealed Unova-native Pokemon were awesome, the legendary mascots were awesome, the names were cool, the starters were cool...until I started learning about the removal of so many good features and the addition of unnecessary ones that weren't optional (i.e., having all Pokemon revealed to opponents in Link Battles), then I knew that their quality was going to be FAR from garnering them the title of "best Pokemon game ever", especially coming off the heels of the innovative HeartGold and SoulSilver (which I haven't played either, yet am already impressed with the multitude of features they retained and introduced). :( I am sincerely hoping that Gray Version can rectify all of BW's perceived flaws, because a Gen V product that does not unnecessarily tinker with features would be awesome.

MiSoRamen

Flying with Skyla
    Years
    List in order by my personal favorites of the Pokemon series

1. RSE
    2. FRLG or RB
    3. BW
    4. HGSS or SGC
    5. DPP

Great game but does not earn the title :(
    What does your list look like?

Years
    White is officially my favorite Pokemon game, and Unova is tied with Hoenn for the best region. My biggest concern is the Pokemon designs, everything else is fantastic. It appears that the new Pokemon really aren't being well-received. I wonder how Japan feels about them? Maybe Game Freak will take note of this.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2011
    Black and White.... wow I feel old since I grew up with R,B,Y. I'm definitely impressed with the amount of changes this franchise has undergone throughout my childhood. Not a fan of the pokemon design for this series though some do stick out as pretty badass IMO.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    As someone who's interest in the series was waning, B/W definitely restored it and I am officially addicted to White and it is the funnest thing ever.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    For me, Black and White are the best non third version Pokemon games ever. Its kind of unfare to compare them to Crystal, Emerald and Platinum though if I had to compare them I'd say they are definately superior to Crystal and Platinum and probably Emerald. Are they the best games in every aspect? Certainly not. HGSS has a great interface, Pokemon walking behind you and the Pokeathelon; Emerald has an amazing Battle Frontier etc. But BW brings everything together so nice: a fresh feel, above average character design, a likeable (I love them) set of new Pokemon, an awesome region and the game breaker: a far superior plot. I wasn't sure of how I would rank the games pre-elite 4 due to my dissapointment with the gym leader teams but the conclusion of the game and N's plot make it, to me, the greatest Pokemon games ever.

Now if we could just get a Battle Frontier. I would be so, so happy!! :)

List:

1. BW
    2. HGSS/Emerald
    3. Gold/Silver/Crystal
    4. Platinum
    5. FireRed LeafGreen
    6. Red/Blue
    7. DP

(I never played Yellow. :( )

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    I'm a little meh. They're alright, I guess. Just all the dialogue boxes and nice graphics are a tad superficial. And the new Pokemon seem forced/unoriginal

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    I am four gyms into Black so far and really enjoying it. The game is not without its flaws, but a real stand-out for me. Looking back, I started with Red and, later, Yellow. Great games with a simple, yet effective concept. I then played Gold. The advancements over RBGY were astounding, but I ultimately found it a boring game. For all its technical improvements, a lot of the game felt like a lazy rehash. I tried a little of Diamond and Emerald, but could not get into that generation at all. They felt technically inferior to Gold, and only slightly more interesting. I came back with Platinum and was pleased to see a good compromise made. Good features, good game-play, and interesting plot. A few minor flaws, but ultimately the best I had played. I then tried SoulSilver, but still find that generation boring and lost interest after the third gym. So far, I am enjoying Black more than Platinum and finding the Pokemon generally more interesting (probably because I am not capturing YET ANOTHER Geodude/Zubat/etc!). The interface is pathetic and probably the worst in the series. I cannot believe how badly they messed up there! The features have taken one step backwards, but mostly ones I barely used anyway. I believe Black could challenge Platinum's place on my top-game-list.

Shinjiaoki94

Punk Leader
    Years
    The Pokemon game is crumbling from Generation III and up, as you ought to know because the original creator of Pokemon was no longer participating in designing of Pokemon up from Gen III. Which explain why Pokemon has less appealing than it was 10 years ago...

-Neji-

Something Different
    Years

I'd say Black and White would have to be 7/10 for me, I was disappointed with most of the new Pokemon to be honest. Most of them remind me of Gen 1...and that isn't a good thing.

I have to agree with that bit, even though the start of your post turned me off to read the rest of it, I think your worthy of getting a reply =P

Little things like Timburr pretty much replacing machomp, not only the fact that it's last form needs a trade to evolve. But the fact that mountain climbers have them all the time and certain team plasma grunts . And that bat thing (reminding me of zubat) team plasma likes that aswell. So yeah I see where your coming from mr. インフェルノの津波

Peace =]

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    At first when I saw the screenshots and everything I was a little doubtful about just how different it would be from previous games. However after playing it for hours on end I realize it still has that familiarity as previous games but with enough new things and nice-looking UI to love it.

I haven't spent enough time on Pokemon White yet but so far it would appear it's definitely one of the best pokemon games.

Years
    I think that Black and White are the greatest Pokemon games. The Pokemon are awesome. The games are so much fun and have so much to do. I love Black and White. I like them way better than any of the older games.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    To me personally, Gold and Silver/ Heart gold and Soul Silver, will always be the best games. They have replay value for me, and that added nostalgic factor. But don't think I am hating on black and White! I adore these games. They are challenging, fresh, unique, and have awesome features that I enjoy taking advantage of. The plot is nice, allbeit annoying because I hate the P.E.T.A clones and N is weird, but it was better than Diamond and Pearl's plot. The pokemon may be awkward looking, but how would you feel if gen V game out before gen I? So the pokemon are okay with me, and I accept them.

I know there is going to be a new generation, and that generation game will be featured on the 3DS most likely, and it'll have even better graphics and better features, and it'll be called the greatest game of all time, but my heart belongs to gen II.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2014
    So far, White has been a great game, lots of things going on at once that keep you immersed in the game. I must say though, BW isn't the best in my opinion. I think Gold/Silver or Red/Yellow/Blue are still the best sets of games. They are what started this machine of a game, and are what I will always look back to when I play future games.

Back