• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Back in the Day

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    In this thread we can list and discuss what we remember of Pokemon and its fandom in the early days.

Back in the day, it was much easier to fill the Pokedex.

The Anime was at its height.
    People still enjoyed playing single player, and didn't think you needed online capabilities.
    There wasn't even a thought of a remake, nor fans obsessing over them.
    Pokemon was a "cool" thing to be interested in.
    There were no natures, IVs, EVs, and battling was casual and fun.
    Pokemon didn't have many spinoff games.

~Mooshykris

ps: mods, I searched and didn't find a thread like this from what I saw, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Ah yes, the days when everybody thought pokemon was awesome. It's a bit of a foggy memory now ^_^

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • OMG I long for the day when this time reappears!
    I have recently gotten into EV training but only because I love battling, and I have no choice nowadays with all the 'perfectly' trained pokemon out there.
    I really wished battling could just be casual again. It would save so much time!

Sparkle

Ninetales Rocks :D
    Years
  • Ah, those were the days.
    Now it's just something 'Childish' or 'geeky'. Half the people that say that are the people who loved it when they were young xD
    I remember when we all used to bring our Game boys and Pokemon cards to school. People would bring link cables, and ultimate respect would be given to someone who got their Pokemon to level 100 without the rare candy cheat. Good times...

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Ah, those were the days.
    Now it's just something 'Childish' or 'geeky'. Half the people that say that are the people who loved it when they were young xD
    I remember when we all used to bring our Game boys and Pokemon cards to school. People would bring link cables, and ultimate respect would be given to someone who got their Pokemon to level 100 without the rare candy cheat. Good times...

Rare candies seriously spoil Pokemon, not the ones planted in the game but the hacked ones.

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    looking at sparkles signature makes me jump for joy!
    terrible pokemon avatars,black-and-white piccies and an ash that sounded like a ten-year-old!
    the good times :D

Sparkle

Ninetales Rocks :D
    Years
  • looking at sparkles signature makes me jump for joy!
    terrible pokemon avatars,black-and-white piccies and an ash that sounded like a ten-year-old!
    the good times :D

By Bad Pokemon Avatars, Do you mean how the Pokemon Looked in the Red and Blue Games?

And Yay, My Sig Brings Happiness xD Best Sig I ever made I guess then.

@Starzy: I Understand what you're getting at, But unless someone is finished with their game and wants to muck around with the missingno glitch and stuff I think it's fine. Although it's cheating if they do the cheat before the Elite four D=

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015

By Bad Pokemon Avatars, Do you mean how the Pokemon Looked in the Red and Blue Games?
    exactly...and also the humurous thought of the only pokemon that u could see outside a fight were pikachu,ryhorn,jigglypuff and lapras!

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    OMG I long for the day when this time reappears!
    I have recently gotten into EV training but only because I love battling, and I have no choice nowadays with all the 'perfectly' trained pokemon out there.
    I really wished battling could just be casual again. It would save so much time!

I still don't EV Train :P

Also, back in the day, your obsession with the series was what made you a "hardcore" fan, not the way you trained your Pokemon.

~Mooshykris

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Well, at least now the only people that like Pokemon are people that actually like Pokemon rather than just a load of people following the crowd, I suppose. So, um, a lot were crowd followers rather than actual fans?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Well I suppose this is more about the cards than the games but I have collected nearly all of the first series of Pokemon Cards. When the newer series came out I refused to buy them because they weren't the same. I still wanna complete the collection of first series cards!

But I loved the old games so much as well. I wanna start playing R/B/Y again and even G/S/C. Crappy graphics and spirtes ftw! It is what makes Pokemon.

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • I remember when Game Boys and Pokemon cards were banned at our elementary school system for "introducing a widespread distraction to the educational environment..." In other words, the fat, lazy old ladies that watched over us at recess didn't like the sight of people crowded around a couple of kids having a link cable battle out in the field where kickball was halted as soon as everybody learned that Travis's Raichu was going to take on Michael's Ivysaur. Our elementary school was full of kids who either played the game obsessively or traded cards to add to their collection. Some kids got really into the card game, but we all passed around the guides showing which cards were rare, which were common, and which Japanese imports to look out for. I remember that being my first experience with the Japanese language, too.

Those were the days man, those were the days... The days we'll probably never see again.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Indeed, I doubt any of us will experience a time like that again. But Nintendo could take a turn and things could work out!

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I remember when everyone loved Kasumi, that everyone had pokémon cards, Bush was still serving his first term... look how things have change.

Years
  • Ah I long for the good ole Pokemon games. I loved Pokemon so much. I was addicted. I remember every moment from my old Pokemon days. Every Booster Pack I opened. Every Episode and all the good times I had playing that Birck of an old school Gameboy then finally getting a color and Pokemon Yellow. MY favorite though would be Pokemon Crystal because it had such Longevity and so many good features. But ah yes those were the times.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I remember when everyone loved Kasumi, that everyone had pokémon cards, Bush was still serving his first term... look how things have change.

^ I remember when people liked Misty, and not Kasumi, and everyone used their ENGLISH names :(

~Mooshykris

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • I remember when the original Stadium for N64 came out, and everybody said "ZOMG 3D POKEMON." I can't remember when I got the game, but I remember plugging in my game paks into the transfer pak and inviting friends over for epic battles with the Pokemon I raised on my game pak. Then we all raved about how we could play all three first generation games in full color on our TVs. That was always great.

Anybody remember the first Pokemon Pinball? I remember being jealous of a kid who rode my bus in elementary school because he had the game, but he was still nice enough to let us play a couple of rounds. Then I got it for Christmas. I still have that game to this day.

I missed out a lot on the Pokemon GameCube games mostly because our family opted for a PS2 (which was a better idea overall anyway), but having a few friends who still have those games say that I didn't miss out on much, except for XD, which I plan on getting sometime soon.

My friends and I were incredibly religious in terms of watching anime at that age. It was mostly Pokemon, but DBZ (anybody remember the July 4th marathon of season 1?) and Gundam Wing were also treasured favorites. Anyway, I got most of the first season on VHS cassette tape, and I've had it for what seems like forever, until the entire collection disappeared recently... I suspect Goodwill shenanigans from my mom again... I'll just grab digital copies.

Yeah, those were truly days to treasure.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • I think that the N64 game was Pokémon Stadium, right?

Anyway, the only things from my old days that I continue with are the animé and the games.

SpikeDo

Open mouth; insert foot
    Years
  • I remember I used to trade Pokemon cards with my friends during recess all the time, and just about everybody had some.
    I also liked the early anime a whole lot better. It wasn't as fluffed up as it is today.

My brother and I used to play RBY and the card game, too. Of course he moved on after a year or two. Now I'm the only person in my entire family that still has any interest. Sigh.

Back