• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Back to the Future — A VGC'98 tournament

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
  • Back to the Future — A VGC'98 tournament

Remember your old Red and Blue fellas? Good, because it's high time to use them!
    The format isn't official but is very similar to VGC'11, but it has a significant twist — instead of using Unova Pokemon, you'll be using the original Kanto Pokemon!

Why "Back to the Future"? It's simple — you take old Pokemon and add a splash of quazi-official ruleset and all the toys they've been gaining during following generations.

The tournament will start on July 29th, so be sure to sign up! Each participant will get a VM-reminder two days before the start.

Rules
    (stolen from NecrumWarrior and then modified)
    1. You must have access to Wifi and a Gen 5 game (White, Black, White 2, or Black 2) in order to participate.
    2. Absolutely no hacks. No hacked moves or impossible stat spreads, or you WILL be disqualified. No "legal" Pokemon either, just use Pokecheck for legit ones.
    3. This tourney will be held Swiss style. This means you will be battling several people, even if you lose in the first round you have a chance to win. Number of rounds will be determined by the total participants. Your win/loss ratio will determine what rank you place in the tourney. You will be matched up randomly in round one, and after that matched up by how many wins/losses you have. There will be a Top Cut depending on the number of players (T4 or T8). Top Cut tie-breakers will be solved by comparing player's opponents' performance (the better your opponents did, the higher chance you can win the tie-break). Tie-breakers will be counted automatically by challonge.com to exclude human error while counting.
    4. Each match is a best of three match. To minimize hax, you'll play three games. The score of particular game doesn't matter, but please add whether it was a 2:0 or 2:1 match.
    5. Do NOT discuss other participant's teams. You will be disqualified for doing so. This includes, but is not limited to, VMs, PMs, threads, and IRC chats.
    6. In your sign up, include your Friend code in the post. Please do not reference your signature or profile.
    7. Report each round's result in a new post.

VGC'98 Format
    1. All Pokemon with their National Dex number 150 or higher are banned.
    2. Battles will be Double Flat Battles with no Wonder Launcher. You can bring 6 Pokemon with you to the battle, but only 4 may participate and will be chosen by you at the start of battle. All Pokemon will be reduced to lvl 50, but still not be raised. Underlevelled Pokemon are allowed as well.
    3. Species Clause is in effect. Only one of each Pokemon is allowed on your team. No bringing 4 Magikarp.
    4. Item Clase is in effect. No two Pokemon on your team may be holding the same item.
    5. All unreleased Dream World abilities are banned. Full list of released DW Pokemon can be found here. In addition, ability Drought is banned as well due to being the only auto-weather.

Prizes
    Each participant will get an emblem!
    Back to the Future — A VGC'98 tournament

Retro Duelist

There will be three Pokemon as well. All of them will be RNGed and shiny if able. If you have any prize theme ideas, let me know via PM or VM

Participants
    Akatsuki no Tenshi — 3225 3647 9381
    dale.finch — 1851 2596 3361
    Gonz0 — 4428 2747 5155
    Griffinbane — 2280 4445 8275
    KradTone — 2452 5413 2986
    NecrumWarrior — 2237 4962 6641
    Retinaburn — 0820 4702 6493
    ShiningLust — 4084 6767 0371
    Tman — TBA
    Zylas — 4256 2299 8658
    90210 —  3225 6489 3642

Bracket

CSS by miakalina

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    I'm in but I'll definitely have to switch DS's before then so I'll let you know on the friend code.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    I'm think I will join :)

Username: 90210
    FC: 3225 6489 3642

Years
  • I'm in... will update post with FC when I get team and cartridge figured out.

Edit: Team is up and running in my W2!!! FC to use is 0820-4702-6493.

Battle Results
    Round 1 Vs. Griffinbane: Won 2-0 (Battle 1: 2-0, Battle 2: 1-0)
    Round 2 Vs. 90210: Lost 1-2

Last edited:

KradTone

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I wanna join! My Kanto pokemon are just waiting to get out there. ^^ My FC is 2452 5413 2986 Soul

Last edited:

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
    Years
  • Going to do it fo' sho'! Even though I never played any of the 1st Gen games, I still wanna do it!

Username: Zylas
    FC: 4256-2299-8658

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    Battle Vs. ShiningLust: 3-0 (Won), 1-0 (Won)

Last edited:

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
  • Thanks for reporting the scores so far. Next time, please, don't include small points. Something like: "won 2:1" is enough.

Zylas left the tourney, so KradTone gets a free win.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
  • I am very sorry for the delay, but the site I'm using for bracket had an issue and I was unable to remove NecrumWarrior from participant list.

Anyway, the updated bracket is in the 1st post, so be sure to check who is your next opponent.

Technical info: please, if your opponent isn't responding after you contacted her/him, be sure to let me know. Tman didn't do that last round and fortunately for him, the coin toss gave him the win.

If Akatsuki no Tenshi won't play this round, he will be removed from the tournament.

Good luck, everyone!

edit: Won 2:1 with Griffinbane. GGs

Last edited:
    Back