• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Real difficulty is hard, though. And requires actually intelligent design. That's, like, work and stuff. And it alienates the player base because anyone can grind, but not everyone can deal with difficulty that requires actual tact.

So, so! Let's make it so that you have to keep bashing your head into a wall until you win instead of making a game where you actually have to have fun and utilize systems to win! Brilliant. And cheap!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Did I miss anyone out?
    Spoiler:

I could cite what i think is a nice way of implementing difficulty and challenge in a video game but I don't want to just site Classic Doom again because I've talked about it for the longest of time. But to me at least, one nice way to amp up the difficulty and challenge in at least an action game is to not just add more enemies on screen VS the ammunition and health pick ups that you normally get, there's also that nice adding of higher tier enemies in earlier levels. Like for example in CLASSIC Doom, each difficulty level just increased the number of enemies on screen at any given level with the addition of adding in higher tier enemies faced in earlier levels, which is very much prevalent in the "Ultraviolence" (2nd to the hardest but the "FAIREST") difficulty setting. That is what i believe is one of the best examples of difficulty and challenge in an action game at least, that still respects the level design and the game engine. I didn't count the ever famous "Nightmare" difficulty in classic Doom since that just cheapens the enemies with the addition of respawning enemies.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance does something like this as well but with the addition of increased enemy damage. Oh god, I remember Hard mode of MGRR where you get to fight those damn APES in the very first level, along with the Geckos, which are usually faced in the later levels.

I dunno in an RPG though. I always thought that RPGs should have always had a sole base "difficulty" but i know that there are some that have an "Easy mode" and a "hard mode".. which is kinda like something in... DUN DUN DUN PERSONA!

Then again, that kind is also dependent on the game engine but w/e.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

When it comes to roleplaying games, though, you're almost always at the mercy of a Random Number Generator, even back in the days when the only roleplaying games around were pen and paper ones. It's always been a part of roleplaying game systems.

Sir Codin

Okay, in case anyone was vague on it, I might be getting Overwatch soon, but don't quote me on it.

The steps towards getting me interested in Overwatch are thus:

Me: *sees advertisements for game* Meh, why should I give a fuck about this?

Internet: *shows pics of D.va*

Me:.......okay, I'll give it a shot.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • that game? I saw Reaper. I immediately found my main. Also D.Va.

It had something to do with who i found appealing, and who I would definitely play well enough to be competent with, like how it was for League and me finding my favorite champs to play as.

Sir Codin

I wish Bethesda would've spent all that time making a new Elder Scrolls game, instead of do a remake of a previous one that has all the enhancements mods have done for it for years now.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • So the ultra violent Warriors game will be Berserk Warriors. At this point I believe everyone predicted it. Though it's a weird choice for the trailer, promoting the game with a rape cutscene.

I just wish the game is more like Ken's Rage and less like the rest. Ken's Rage felt more like a beat'em up than typical Musou, though it still had the Musou mode we all love. I don't think the standard Musou gameplay will work well for the entire story. And honestly I feel like this is a better option for Berserk than Dark Souls kind of gameplay. Dark Souls has the atmosphere of Berserk, but Guts is an angry man able to kill 100 men by himself, it just wouldn't feel right if you had to attack carefully, roll and backstab. Guts is all about swinging the sword and killing baddies, which is basically Musou lol.

Sir Codin

And honestly I feel like this is a better option for Berserk than Dark Souls kind of gameplay. Dark Souls has the atmosphere of Berserk, but Guts is an angry man able to kill 100 men by himself, it just wouldn't feel right if you had to attack carefully, roll and backstab.
    You CLEARLY have not seen me play Dark Souls.

pkmin3033

A Bloodborne gameplay style might have suited Berserk; one that encourages more aggressive gameplay. You need to be careful in Dark Souls, but being too careful in Bloodborne is liable to get you killed just as quickly. Guts is definitely the kind of person who would recover health from inflicting senseless carnage.

I know little of Berserk outside of Griff's singing outtakes though, so eh. I'm disappointed by the lack of Precure Musou, which would be much more enjoyable.

pkmin3033

I was actually thinking of watching the Golden Age film trilogy - are those any good, do you know?

Probably should be asking this in the A&M section, but...Video Games is my home. xD
    On a minor note, I might actually get Skyrim on the PS4...I suppose I didn't really give it enough of a chance on PS3 when it first came out. I did a lot of aimless wandering and got extremely put off, but I'm in the mood to try it again. Of course, if my laptop would run it Steam would be better, because mods...I doubt the PS4 version will let me do this.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • So the ultra violent Warriors game will be Berserk Warriors.

DID SOMEONE SAY... ULTRA VIOLENCE!? ULTRA VIOLENCE BABY! ALL DAY EVERYDAY IN THE PANTS!

So i just got home, drenched from the rain, so i need to dry up. Hearing that news is going to help with the drying process.

You all know how this is making me erect right?

WELL GUESS WHAT!? IT MAY HAVE INCREASED TEN FOLD!

Oh my god....

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sir Codin

I was actually thinking of watching the Golden Age film trilogy - are those any good, do you know?
    I was pretty off-put by the terrible CGI (which they're now apparently continuing with the new TV series) that I stopped watching part-way, so NO.

Really, if you want the genuine Berserk experience, cut the middleman and read the comic. It can be found online at numerous sites. It's one of the best manga I've ever read, if nothing else than because Miura puts an insane amount of detail into a lot of the things he draws.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Well Sony conference is making me want a PS4. I don't want a PS4 since I just bought a PS3 to catch up with games, but the games they showed were so good, and half of them are probably exclusive. The entire conference was such a blast. No people speaking in memes between trailers. Just trailer after trailer (mostly gameplay) with only one person interrupting it. It was
    Spoiler:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • ALL HAIL HIDEO GODJIMA!

If we get some glory killing in Berserk Warriors, I might get Erect for 4 weeks. Then again, I'm always erect that the sight of glorious carnage so w/e.

I just found this lovely lovely, AND I MEAN REALLY LOVELY video for our first person shooting crowd in our chit chat:

Spoiler:

and I have already shown the video to my friend (The friend that I was talking to into the Facebook convo that i leaked. Oh wait, its my own FB convo so its not a leak, its me showing off) and I'm finally saying it straight to him the problems with his currently favored FPS franchise. And he's like "But you don't really hate CoD right?" And I'm like "I don't but if you are wondering why its so cool and hip to hate on CoD, there you go".

I'm such a good friend..

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Everything in the Sony conference looks noice. I might even give the new GoW a playthrough and I've never played GoW before. Nice to see Kojima back.

Sean

Years
  • I hate E3 time because my inner impulses begin emerging once again and right now I am debating whether to get a PS4 or not

.. however knowing me I'd play it for a few months then it'd be gathering dust just like what happened to my ps3 / xbox

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Kratos with a Beard. Okay, I am in.

Also, its refreshing for once that we actually get a SEQUEL instead of a reboot or a prequel. Also, that new perspective through. I mean God of War has always been in 3rd person, but over the shoulder. I am starting to have suspicions

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • The GoW video gave a vibe that they might kill Kratos off and replace him with his son, but it's somehow hard to see someone like Kratos get killed off.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back