• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bad game in my opinion

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    The water routes were what made Hoenn, Hoenn! Some people may not have liked them but I loved 'em. I'm glad it wasn't another reboot either. Two reboots in a row would have been horrible and we would have had people complaining that 'there wasn't enough new material in it' blah blah blah instead of complaining about how it doesn't have day/night feature, telephone, connected with previous gens like GSC did with RBY, etc.

I think people overexaggerate too much.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Okay, so comparatively speaking, I think it's the worst (I hate water routes with a passion). However, that's not to say Gen III is bad. I'll admit, Emerald was better, but R/S weren't bad. I remember when I used to play Sapphire for hours on end. And then, I got my friend to let me use his Game Shark so I could beat my cousin in battle (my Blaziken pwned his Sceptile :rambo:!). It was fun, but the others were better.And for the record, I like Gen IV. It comes in second (Johto's better) for me.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Does anybody else feel that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were pretty much the worst pokemon rpg game there is. I mean after all the new events and functions that pokemon S/G/C gave us one would think that pokemon Ruby and Sapphire would be filled with better functions. Ruby and Sapphire only introduced abilities, contests, and better names for berries and that's it, they couldn't even put animations on the pokemon and made it really hard to re-battle trainers. Emerald was better since it gave the player more to do and introduced the battle frontier, an improved phone and better pokemon animations. Ruby and Sapphire could have been a lot better but for some reason they lacked the excitement that other pokemon games gave us.

You forgot double battles, diving, natures, EVs, and secret bases, and abilities & natures contributed to battling far more then anything generation II could ever give.

Honestly, the only things about Hoenn that were really bad were all the water routes* and the post-Elite 4 game failing utterly in R/S. The fact you couldn't transfer pokes from older games couldn't be helped, though it would have been nice I suppose...

I personally think the water routes were interesting, even if that meant I needed to buy a lot of repels.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    *I personally think the water routes were interesting, even if that meant I needed to buy a lot of repels.

omg, I finally found someone else that doesen't want these water routes and Hoenn to burn in hell.

But yeah.. R/S weren't all that good, but they were still revolutionary. Saying G/S/C was revolutionary.. ehh.. seriously? I don't see anything revolutionary about them except for Pokerus and the phone function. >_> But that may just be me.

One thing is certain, R/S/E introduced a lot more revolutionary things than G/S/C did. At least in my opinion.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    But yeah.. R/S weren't all that good, but they were still revolutionary. Saying G/S/C was revolutionary.. ehh.. seriously? I don't see anything revolutionary about them except for Pokerus and the phone function. >_> But that may just be me.

One thing is certain, R/S/E introduced a lot more revolutionary things than G/S/C did. At least in my opinion.

Uhh... how about Shiny Pokemon, breeding, gender in general (other than the Nidoran lines), and a pocketed bag system? So, they didn't change the way we battle (unless you count the new ability for Pokemon to learn egg moves), but they were just as revolutionary as R/S/E.

On a side note, one thing I couldn't stand about FR/LG was the daycare. Until you got your National Dex, you couldn't breed?! What's up with that?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I didn't see the big deal about the day and night system in G/S/C. The internal clock was just wasting the internal battery away and it was inconvenient for people who could only play at specific times. Also R/S/E did kinda have the day and night system, you couldn't actually tell if it was day or night but you still set a time on your clock and depending on the time different Pokemon might show up and you could only evolve certain Pokemon at that time.

So really R/S/E had the same concept only they couldn't be bothered making it night time. In the end R/S/E did bring a lot more than G/S/C. Well a lot more useful things.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I beg to differ; the only thing R/S/E brought were natures, abilities, contests, a better bag, double battles, the HM Dive and the running shoes, as well as a bunch of junky Pokemon and a region map consisting of too much water.

Meanwhile, G/S/C brought:

- Apricorns & thus the concept of berries
    - Day, night, and overall time system
    - Pokemon Friendliness & Evolutions
    - Held Items*
    - Pokemon Eggs, and thus, breeding
    - Pokemon Egg Moves
    - Shiny Pokemon concept (originally making Pokemon stronger, shinies gave way to the EV concept)
    - First female character, Kris
    - Animated Pokemon sprites
    - The first PokeApp - the PokeGear
    - The ability to decorate your room (unique to G/S/C)
    - The ability to store money like a bank with mom (unique to G/S/C and HGSS)
    - Rebattles with trainers and thus the concept of the VS Seeker
    - The Special Defense Stat
    - Male and female Pokemon
    - The ability to explore two regions (unique to G/S/C & HGSS)
    - The Pokemon Types Steel & Dark
    - The battle tower, and thus the battle frontier concept
    - The weather system
    - The roaming Pokemon concept (G/S/C, HGSS, and D/P/PL)
    - The virus PokeRus (its stat-affecting ability gave way to the concept of EVs)
    - The HMs Whirlpool, Waterfall, and Rock Smash

and more.

* The Light Ball from Pokemon Yellow on Pikachu and the Twisted Spoon from R/B/Y on Kadabra doesn't count; you couldn't physically see them without trading to G/S/C

This means that EVs, berries, shiny Pokemon, trainer rebattles, etc. are ideas from G/S/C or not fully expanded / explored upon in G/S/C and therefore "touched up" in Hoenn, but originating from the second generation.

Not to mention, G/S/C introduced the only rival worthy of being deemed a rival, next to Gary, who, being the original, is incomparible to begin with. The G/S/C rival is more of a contrast feel with a dark past.

Compared to G/S/C & HGSS, Hoenn added barely anything to the game. It did add some key things, like natures and abilities, but for both in-game, trading, breeding, and competitive battles, G/S/C added a lot more.

Let's see an example...

MOST competitive battlers use Choice Band / Life Orb. Where would you be if Generation II hadn't invented Held Items?

MOST competitive battlers strive for great IVs and certain Egg Moves; where would you be without Pokemon Eggs, Egg Moves, and female and male Pokemon introduced in Generation II (apart the Nidoran series)?

MOST competitive battlers use shinies and PokeRus to EV-train their Pokemon; where would you be if G/S/C hadn't invented shinies and PokeRus, and the birth place of the EV idea?

Exactly.

Also, had breeding not been invented, abilities and natures would have become more tedious to have and acquire, since you wouldn't be able to pass it down by the mum. Your Vaporeon / Umbreon with Wish? Think again.

Last edited:

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    I beg to differ; the only thing R/S/E brought were natures, abilities, contests, a better bag, double battles, the HM Dive and the running shoes, as well as a bunch of junky Pokemon and a region map consisting of too much water.
    I beg to differ on that, Gen II introduced the pocketed bag system.
    Which is even worse for Hoenn.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I am actually completely opposite of you. Johto, Gold, was my first Pokemon game, and it is definitely original to me. I was spoiled with what I consider the best Pokemon game. I loved the Pokemon, I loved the locations, I loved the plot, and I loved the Elite Four. Even the fact that they had Kanto after Johto was amazing. I played Yellow a while after Gold, and I enjoyed it, but nowhere nearly as much as Johto. But when I got my hands on Hoenn... Ugh. I utterly hated it.

I thought Hoenn was the worst region. I disliked the starters (except for Torchic, but I HATED Mudkip. Ugly sunuva*****) and I disliked the teams. They were lame. I disliked the legendaries, and I disliked almost all of the Pokemon that were introduced. A couple of them were okay, but the rest of them made me think of Neopets.

Sinnoh was okay. I liked it a lot better than Hoenn, but a lot less than Johto.

IMO the best in order would be Johto, Kanto, Sinnoh, and waaay last, Hoenn. I am not dissing Hoenn, but I disliked it very much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2010
    Honestly, I don't follow what your saying. I grew up with this game, this was the game that I played first, besides playing a little bit of Gold.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Oh well, many Pokémon were just carbon copies of each other, with some being clearly outclassed (*cough* *cough* Mr. Mime) before the advent of abilities, yet items were also just as important (Marrowak especially) too. EVs and IVs respectably proved to be huge time-sinks (though IVs are arguably the more annoying), and weather wasn't quite as relevant in either third or second generation due to the lack of the weather stones. Of course, we all know that the biggest thing that any generation has ever done to battling was the Special/Physical split of DPP.

- The ability to decorate your room (unique to G/S/C)
    Funny, I recall being able to decorate rooms in R/S.

MOST competitive battlers use shinies and PokeRus to EV-train their Pokemon; where would you be if G/S/C hadn't invented shinies and PokeRus, and the birth place of the EV idea?

Eh? I thought the G/S/C metagame died off a long time ago, and most competitive battlers no a days consider shinies too much of a hassle to get when they no longer contribute to a poke's stats.

MOST competitive battlers use Choice Band / Life Orb. Where would you be if Generation II hadn't invented Held Items?
    Generation IV introduced the life orb, and it also made entry hazards more common, thus cutting down Focus Sash use.

Either way, each has their pro or cons, but the fact G/S/C had two regions (even if one of them was dumbed down, and the other one bland) to explore gave it MUCH more replayability compared to the pitiful R/S Battle Tower.

Now that you think of it, generation IV changed battling a lot more then I first thought. It further fleshed out breeding by allowing IVs to be passed down, added game changing items such as the shed shell and damp rock, split attacks to be physical/special, making some previously worthless pokes such as Kingler usable, also fleshed out abilities by adding secondary abilities, vastly expanded egg moves, altered Pursuit, made entry hazards more viable, ect.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Honestly, I don't see how arguing about GSC's good points makes RSE a bad game.

GSC had more stuff, but it's "goodness" is completely subjective. Leave it at that, can't we?

Matt140

Hi Peoplez!
    Years
    Personally, Ruby and Sapphire were much better than D/P/Pt/G/S/C/R/B/Y to me, the region was great and the Pokémon weren't that bad either.

ShadowSalamence

Fan of the Dragon Pokemon
    Years
    Ruby and Sapphire are decent games, in my opinion, and as you said, they lack of new features.
    However, I don't think they are bad. They gave me hours of fun, when I used to play them.

Coin

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    Each game is amazing in my opinion.
    We shouldn't be arguing about which one is the worst.

Each one has certain features that differ from the others.
    Why can't we just accept that they all are well made, even though some may be more memorable than others... o-o''

Back