• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bad game in my opinion

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
    Does anybody else feel that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were pretty much the worst pokemon rpg game there is. I mean after all the new events and functions that pokemon S/G/C gave us one would think that pokemon Ruby and Sapphire would be filled with better functions. Ruby and Sapphire only introduced abilities, contests, and better names for berries and that's it, they couldn't even put animations on the pokemon and made it really hard to re-battle trainers. Emerald was better since it gave the player more to do and introduced the battle frontier, an improved phone and better pokemon animations. Ruby and Sapphire could have been a lot better but for some reason they lacked the excitement that other pokemon games gave us.

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
    Years
    It is expected for Emerald to be better, as it is a Remake. Personally, I *loved* Ruby and Sapphire. They didn't just introduce Contests and Berries, they introduced Hoenn and the Third Generation.

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
    I'm not talking about the 3rd generation I loved it, but I'm talking about the story line and the features that the game lacked. I mean after G/S/C the game lost a lot of the features that would have been great to implement, just think about Ruby and Sapphire with the Day and Night system that would have made it a little better.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
    Nope, but Gen1 might be. Sure, they jumpstarted pokemon. Sure, they were a national phenominon. But what was so GOOD about them that no fan seems to be able to do them wrong? The sprites were horrid (Look at Porygon's green sprite, it looks like a GSC, but it's Yellow was... ugh.), many aspects of the game were broken (The critical hit ratio? Base speed/256. For high/crit attacks? Base speed/64. Which means Venusaur's Razor Leaf and Persian's Slash ALWAYS critted.), and there were glitches abound.

You mention that it was hard to rematch trainers. In RBY, you couldn't, and GSC had THE EXACT SAME SYSTEM, only YOU COULDN'T HAVE EVERYONE'S NUMBER.

Animations? Doesn't matter if it's GSC, Emerald, Platinum, Diamond or Pearl, or Heart Gold and Soul Silver, it's just extra fluff/artificial game lengthining.

"Only" those things? So it didn't introduce about 136 new pokemon?

EDIT: DON'T EVEN TRY to bring up the Clock from GSC. That thing not only sucked majorly for those of us who mistakenly set it, but it LITERALLY sucked: The game's inner battery died so quickly because of it.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    The only bad thing about Emerald was the Match Call.

The surfing was acceptable in my opinion. IF you brought a Repel. ^_^

But yeah, R/S weren't really good. They lacked that really cool storyline that Emerald had. It also lacked the coolest cutscene ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmLtt6zc9s

^^ click that if you have no idea what i'm talking about.

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
    Yeah they were able to do cutscenes and so much more but why they didn't do it I don't know. The region of Hoenn wasn't that great because it had water almost everywhere and I know it's in a tropical zone but they could have added more land. I didn't really get how Groudon was a problem I mean "Look out he's going to tan us to death!" that's not a big problem, it would have been if there had been ice in the region, but hey look another thing the game could have added.
    EDIT: I still have my Crystal game and it still hasn't frozen or anything, Ruby and Sapphire had a clock and more GBA capabilities but they didn't use them. Like I said before I'm not talking about the pokemon I'm talking about the storyline and functions.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
    Does anybody else feel that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were pretty much the worst pokemon rpg game there is. I mean after all the new events and functions that pokemon S/G/C gave us one would think that pokemon Ruby and Sapphire would be filled with better functions. Ruby and Sapphire only introduced abilities, contests, and better names for berries and that's it, they couldn't even put animations on the pokemon and made it really hard to re-battle trainers. Emerald was better since it gave the player more to do and introduced the battle frontier, an improved phone and better pokemon animations. Ruby and Sapphire could have been a lot better but for some reason they lacked the excitement that other pokemon games gave us.
    I wouldn't say the were terrible or pointless, but yes, Emerald was better. But that's with every version. Yellow (to me) is better than red and blue, same with silver gold, ect. I think the where not the worth though. I think silver or gold where my least fav. I still love them, but I didn't really like any of the Pokemon from that series. Unlike the others where I have 5-20 that I like.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    I have two large annoyances with R/S/E:

1. The tiny amount of post-game content.

After the large post-game on G/S/C for GameBoy/GameBoy Color, you'd expect something just as good or better on a GameBoy Advance Pokemon game. Here's all there was to do post-game in R/S:
    -Go on the S.S. Tidal
    -Go through the Battle Tower
    -Find and battle Latios/Latias
    -Battle Raquaza

Emerald did make some improvements, but the only games with less to do after beating the Elite Four are R/G/B/Y, which is understandable since that was on the original GameBoy. Also, since those were the first games, the developers were probably more concerned with getting everything else right than trying to add a lot of post-game content. However, I don't get why they made such a small post-game for a Pokemon game on the GBA when Game Freak had already done very well with the post-game for G/S/C. I wasn't expecting a complete region, but I was at least expecting something like the Battle Zone in D/P/Pt.

2. Half of the routes in Hoenn are water routes.

This has always been my largest annoyance about R/S/E. The previous statement isn't an exaggeration, either. Exactly 17 of the 34 routes in Hoenn are water routes. I could maybe see 10, but 17? That's way too much. Aside from the direction the route's facing, there are basically no aesthetic differences between water routes. In addition, most of the trainers have similar Pokemon. Due to all of this, I get bored incredibly quickly while going through water routes.

Despite these two major cons I posted, I still like R/S/E a fair bit. However, I do prefer all the other main series games much more.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Yeah they were able to do cutscenes and so much more but why they didn't do it I don't know. The region of Hoenn wasn't that great because it had water almost everywhere and I know it's in a tropical zone but they could have added more land. I didn't really get how Groudon was a problem I mean "Look out he's going to tan us to death!" that's not a big problem, it would have been if there had been ice in the region, but hey look another thing the game could have added.
    EDIT: I still have my Crystal game and it still hasn't frozen or anything, Ruby and Sapphire had a clock and more GBA capabilities but they didn't use them. Like I said before I'm not talking about the pokemon I'm talking about the storyline and functions.

You do realize Fr/Lg had even less features right? Also Groudon can cause many problems if there is a drought then you'd probably dehydrate to death and if the region of Hoenn becomes too hot all the ice in the sea would melt changing the fresh water to salt water ratio in the ocean.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I have to agree with Shadow Lugia, post game content was horrid.

Thank god for Pokemon Box; I had to restart my games over and over again out of sheer boredom and I would have lost hundreds of hours worth of Pokemon.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    Nope, but Gen1 might be. Sure, they jumpstarted pokemon. Sure, they were a national phenominon. But what was so GOOD about them that no fan seems to be able to do them wrong? The sprites were horrid (Look at Porygon's green sprite, it looks like a GSC, but it's Yellow was... ugh.), many aspects of the game were broken (The critical hit ratio? Base speed/256. For high/crit attacks? Base speed/64. Which means Venusaur's Razor Leaf and Persian's Slash ALWAYS critted.), and there were glitches abound.

You mention that it was hard to rematch trainers. In RBY, you couldn't, and GSC had THE EXACT SAME SYSTEM, only YOU COULDN'T HAVE EVERYONE'S NUMBER.

Animations? Doesn't matter if it's GSC, Emerald, Platinum, Diamond or Pearl, or Heart Gold and Soul Silver, it's just extra fluff/artificial game lengthining.

"Only" those things? So it didn't introduce about 136 new pokemon?

EDIT: DON'T EVEN TRY to bring up the Clock from GSC. That thing not only sucked majorly for those of us who mistakenly set it, but it LITERALLY sucked: The game's inner battery died so quickly because of it.
    This.

But personally, I liked all the games. RSE perhaps being my favorites.

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
    2. Half of the routes in Hoenn are water routes.

This has always been my largest annoyance about R/S/E. The previous statement isn't an exaggeration, either. Exactly 17 of the 34 routes in Hoenn are water routes. I could maybe see 10, but 17? That's way too much. Aside from the direction the route's facing, there are basically no aesthetic differences between water routes. In addition, most of the trainers have similar Pokemon. Due to all of this, I get bored incredibly quickly while going through water routes.

Despite these two major cons I posted, I still like R/S/E a fair bit. However, I do prefer all the other main series games much more.

Someone didn't bring max repels...

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
    The only bad thing about Emerald was the Match Call.

The surfing was acceptable in my opinion. IF you brought a Repel. ^_^

But yeah, R/S weren't really good. They lacked that really cool storyline that Emerald had. It also lacked the coolest cutscene ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmLtt6zc9s

^^ click that if you have no idea what i'm talking about.

This.

And consider the great Pokémon from that generation (Chimecho!!!! =D)
    Epic. Win.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I must be the only one that wasn't bothered by the amount of sea routes in Hoenn. Sure, it was fairly easy to get lost and sure, you're always beeing harassed by Tentacool/Wingull, but at least it goes by quickly with RSE's fast surfing speed, and Dive was a pretty cool HM. :D

Now as far as the story goes, it could've been better. I like how they tried to make it more epic than the prior Team rocket plots, but it does all fall flat when you realize just how silly the whole thing was. At least it didn't go as overboard as DPPt's Galactic storyline, and at least we got some cool legendaries out of it instead of the lame dragon trio. :P

GenII is still my favorite overall though...

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Woah woah woah woah, did you say what i think you said? Sapphire and ruby are the WORST games for pokemon?

You need to take a good look at P/D/PT mate.

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    Woah woah woah woah, did you say what i think you said? Sapphire and ruby are the WORST games for pokemon?

You need to take a good look at P/D/PT mate.

Uhhh... Did you just say that D/P/PT are the worst games?! Somebody forgot FR/LG! Not trying to offend anyone or anything, but still.

Jesh

M E M O R I E S
    Years
    Uhhh... Did you just say that D/P/PT are the worst games?! Somebody forgot FR/LG! Not trying to offend anyone or anything, but still.

Fr/LG was CHALLENGING. They had an elite four that was fun. Sevii Islands. that thing gary gave you when you beat him on Nugget Bridge. VS SEEKER. FUN GYM BATTLES. What did D/P/PT have? A lame ass elite four. battle frontier is laaaame as all hell. VS Seeker. It was completely unchallenging. And the pokemon were TERRIBLE :|

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Hoenn and the Third Generation.
    Lol @ how this is supposed to be good.

Fr/LG was CHALLENGING.
    My brother almost beat the game with Venusaur alone, no level grinding.

that thing gary gave you when you beat him on Nugget Bridge
    Fame checker was the biggest/worst novelty item ever. Like I want to know if Mr. Fuji used to be a scientist.
    At least Platinum gives you some background on Cyrus firsthand.
    A lame ass elite four.
    You're completely right, if you meant an E4 that has brain cells.
    Steven, Wallace, and Lance got monotype teams, so they automatically lose.
    Gary had pathetic pokemon until the rematch, where he fetched a useful Tyranitar.
    It was completely unchallenging.
    Did you ever beat the game without level grinding or using ubers?

It wasn't the worst, as far as I would go(personally, Johto was the worst in terms of everything barring pokemon, since Johto was unoriginal and I personally would like a new huge region instead of a crappy, half region that was visited once before.), but it was pretty irritating.
    The surfing was annoying, and Dive didn't make it better. Putting a cherry on a pile of crap doesn't make the crap much better.
    So yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Back