• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bag of Everything

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
  • I was trying for the arm being bent more at the wrist rather than just straight out, but I see what you're saying. It doesn't look like that. I'll have to change. I just don't know how to get the effect I'm looking for.

2yobonr.png

This is more of the position I want, but something is still off about everything.

I think that it's the position of the palm that looks really unnatural. Just try standing like that, it's quite difficult to get your palm to to do that comfortably. It should probably be more horizontal.

Freak A

Back !!!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    okay not gonna comment on the mugshots cause well i dont really get the 5th gen mugshot style but all the other stuff seems pretty good specially loving the cake thingy it actually seems delicious or something yeah and that line is just beautiful i guess u have alot of potential and your practically very awesome. so umm keep spriting i liked it so much i guess i ended up writing a whole report.

Years
  • I guess I can live with being just awesome and not quite very awesome.

I was trying to fix the anatomy on that previous sprite, but, ugh, hard. I gave up for the moment to work on other things, that is, more VS sprites.

2ijqo04.png
    2ltr5a9.png
    2ypkzmo.png

Anatomy is still difficult, but I don't see anything terribly wrong with these in that respect.

I also have this background. WIP. Not sure what else to do with it.

166m5gg.png

Years
  • Careful on your perspective. (You do know, liner perspective, correct?) The right sidewalk area seems to be in a different plane position than the left.
    It would be best if you picked one horizon/eye line and altered the angles accordingly.

scarfperspective.png

Years
  • I'm amazed you could see that. Is it that noticeable?

I'm vaguely aware of the idea, but obviously not enough to put it into practice. Thanks for pointing it out.

Years
  • I'm amazed you could see that. Is it that noticeable?

I'm vaguely aware of the idea, but obviously not enough to put it into practice. Thanks for pointing it out.

Naw, it's not terribly noticeable I don't think, it's just art college foundations being smooshed in my head.

You might want to read up on it. It's really useful in conveying space, it just takes some practice.

ADD: Just to try and illustrate the importance of perspective I have an overlay or your original on the bottom and another overlay with all angles meeting on the left or right vanishing point on the horizon line on the top.

scarfoverlaypng.png

I know it only looks very slight to most people, but do you see how the path closest to us (bottom right) opens up more and appears closer, while the path farthest from us (upper left) shortens more and appears farther? This really pushes the illusion of depth, and helps us read the space better.

Last edited:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I noticed it, but I don't know if people who don't do pixel art would.

Oops, didn't notice Lornami's second post xD

Years
  • I noticed it, but I don't know if people who don't do pixel art would.

Perceptive problems can be seen by any person, because perspective is how we see the world. While Scarf's is "close enough" not to find any problems so easily, even a normal person can feel that the space is not quite right because they know inherently that there are contradictions. If they can see the difference in that image up there, their brain already knows the problems even if they were not consciously aware of them while viewing the original image. It's our brains having trouble reading the space, it's just general art education teaches us to identify these problems and how to fix them.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
    Years
  • I really love your sprites, especially the VS sprites and your parrotfish fakemon.
    The lineart and shading is incredible, and the palettes compliment each other really well.
    I can't see anything wrong.
    However the VS sprite in the middle, red hair guy:
    picture.php

his arm doing the thumbs up - his forearm is too short compared to his other arm and to your other vs sprites.

Years
  • his arm doing the thumbs up - his forearm is too short compared to his other arm and to your other vs sprites.
    Good eye. I'll admit again that anatomy is hard for me so I have trouble seeing things like that (and a harder time trying to fix them).

Anyway, I hope this looks more properly perspective'd.

2e2iipw.png

Somni

Robot Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2016
    nice! you have some nice designs there. I especially like your sense of color, very bright and jubilant.

Back