• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Banned Episodes Thread

XCHAMPX

Nazi 4 life!
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2010
    Rasist Jynx

Is it true that an episode was banned because of apperant racism with a jynx? if so do yall agree? i believe this episode was in one of the first seasons

XCHAMPX

Nazi 4 life!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2010
    A thread dedicated to the dicussion of the banned episodes. Agree with the reason its banned? Give your opinions

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
  • Jynx does look like an African woman to me now, but when i was younger i never saw the resemblance, most younger kids know nothing about racism.

No, there is absolutely nothing racist about it.

Banned Episodes Thread
    Banned Episodes Thread

Do you see the resemblance there? Cause I fail to see it.

For one, Jynx skin is black, where as the african american's skin is techincally brown. Jynxs big lips are not that big. There are many different big lipped creatures out there.

By the logic of Jynx being racist, I can sue a majority of the companies in America today. To conclude this, I do not blieve that Jynx is a racist creation.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I fail to see the similarities in it, it just seems like a bunch of people got offended by it for looking even remotely similar.
    For one, Jynx doesn't even have a nose, and probably doesn't have ears either. I also don't see many African women with blond hair, especially of that size, and especially not in that big red dress.
    SRSLY.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Apparently Jynx was real similar to some famous dark skinned person about a few decades ago and some parent thought it was racist.

Porygon-2000

Wobbufiend
    Years
  • People thought it was based off Blackface - a type of performance WAY back where white people dressed up like black people and do rasist stereotype things. Now, that doesnt usually happen anymore (*cough Robert Downey Jr /cough*), but people will bite at anything nowadays.

I personally believe it was based on Gangurou, a fashion trend popular at the time lf Jynx's creation.
    I really dont see what the problem is with Jynx myself, as she is still a very capable pokemon. I'm using her on my Ruby team right now!

Probably stated the obvious there, but thats all I know of the situation.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    well, they changed jynxs colour after that episode... now shes purple XD

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • To this day, I still don't understand why that episode was banned and I also still don't see the offensiveness of Jynx, even after Porygon-2000 explained it earlier. I think people nowadays are just being way too touchy over everything :/

C0d3 br3ak3r

Pres. of Project Nightfall
    Years
  • One famous African American compared Jynx to the characters in Little Black Shambo, which viewed every character as (slang-wise) retarted; Sitoshi has said that Jynx is based off the Japanese Ganguro fashion, where ladies bleach thier hair blonde, suntan a whole lot, and apply loads of makeup. I do see a remote resemblance (in attitude and appearance). If you think about it, (anyone who says racist about this is ignorant) African Americans have a higher temper... maybe from all the disrespect thier slave ancestors got. I am defenitely not racist, anyone who thinks I am racist is ignorant.

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
  • People who say Jynx are racist are pretty weeeeird. D:
    Um, Jynx is based off Japanese ganguro fashion which is, as previously stated, girls who tan way too much, bleach their hair blond, and put on too much makeup. Which is basically what Jynx looks like. 8D ;;
    I think that whoever started the whole racist thing should've looked into things more before they did anything. >u>;;

Years
  • I don't know why all the black people get offended by such a beautiful woman representing their race as a pokemon. Jynx was the first sexy pokemon. Look at how perfect her weave and delicious hips are. All mexicans got was Ludicolo, which is a giant duck Pinata with a sombrero. Jews have Probopass, which is just terrible. Black men should be offended by Dusknoir, who obviously supports the stereotype of black men being kidnappers.

At least she's proud of who she is, unlike her cousin/half-sister Froslass, who wears the skin of a dead Asian girl over her.

I mean look: https://i46.tinypic.com/2isz6rs.png
    Ew.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2010
    . Jynx was the first sexy pokemon

Wait, wat? Cant disagree more

Also people who think jiyx is racist are proabley the same people that think resident evil 5 is racist for have black zombies!!

Valk

Inter-Galactic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I fail to see the resemblence there..........and I'm african american.

Years
  • Honestly, some of the comments in this thread offend me a bit, guess I'm "ignorant". XD

Anyways, I fail to see the resemblance. I truly doubt they would create a racist Pokemon. They would not risk potential sales for some joke, and I'm sure the realize it's just plain offensive. And isn't Jinx's face suppose to be a void?

Watch her faint, I think she's a void.

But what choice did GF have? It could have taken out a chunk of their sales in western countries. They did the right thing and quickly fixed the problem and moved along, without asking questions or fighting it.

Also, I don't think Jinx is based on gangurwhachmacallit. I think it's based on Nordic ice princess. The black skin could be reference to being in freezing cold temperatures. Note that Snorunt has a black face and Froslass has purple skin. Maybe Froslass was intended to have black skin?

EDIT: After a bit of searching, that Ganguro thing actually does make sense.
    Spoiler:

My eyes. X_X

Last edited:
    Back