• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Based On The Best Selling Books... Coming SOON!

Sector

Banned
Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    As the title asks, we've seen plenty of novels and/or books (comic books, etc) turn into movies or tv shows & so on.

We've seen plenty of the novels become successful in film. Examples are: Harry Potter, Lord of the Ring, The Hunger Games, Star Wars and plenty more, as well as the TV series, such as Pretty Little Liars, The Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones and so on. So I ask you folks, there are a bunch of novels out there today, are there any novels you would like to see take up screen time? What are they? Why would you like to see this happen? Do you think it'll grab a huge audience?

Years
  • Star Wars were movies first.

I would like to see a lot of fantasy books get movie adaptations. There is a huge range of good fantasy out there that's probably never going to because it's more than 5-10 years old and not enough people are reading them to make movie execs think they'll make enough money.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books need to be made properly (we can forget what they did with The Golden Compass) into a trilogy of movies. There's a pretty solid cast of characters in those books and a lot of fun fantastical things that would be great to see in movies.

I really want to see a good adaptation of A Wizard of Earthsea. The Ghibli movie just didn't do it right, changed a bunch of things unnecessarily, and was boring. It's one of my favorite books and I would really like a movie that feels like it captures the spirit of the book.

There's also this book called The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers. This one is really something that would need to be animated as every character is some kind of dragon or monster or something weirder, but it's wonderfully full of details and imagination and a movie which could recreate that would be a lot of fun to see.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Darksword trilogy. A very old book trilogy but the story is rather amazing.

Also, a serie that I've been wating to see coming on the silver screen is finally coming, it's called House of Night.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    A little selfish, but, I would love to see my novel get turned into a movie. Preferably an animated one.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • This is gonna be a little off, but it's something I want to bring up. I'm not into books at all. I used to love to read, but being forced to read books that were not in my interest range really turned me off to reading (thanks, school!). Nowadays, I never really have the time to sit down and read, so I'm very thankful that there are books made into movies, otherwise I and people like myself would miss out on great series, like The Hunger Games for example.

To answer the topic though, I wish they would finish making movies for A Series of Unfortunate Events. Those are the last books I remember reading and feeling happy about reading, which was 7th grade (so I was 12...long ago, basically). I think it could work if they followed the format of the first movie by putting two or three of the books into the same movie, since you know, there are 13 of them. I guess it'd be weird to do them now since that movie is from 2004 (I think?) and the actors have since grown up and using different actors now would be weird. I'm gonna shut up haha.

Years
  • Agree about His Dark Materials, A Wizard of Earthsea and A Series of Unfortunate Events!

I realise most people here have never heard of it, but my dream would be for Margit Sandemo's Sagan om Isfolket (The Legend of the Ice People) to be filmed. It's a series of 47 books from the 80s, historical fantasy, and it's awesome. Doubt it will ever happen though - many have wanted to do it, but no one has succeeded. It's just too much, I guess.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really want to see a good adaptation of A Wizard of Earthsea. The Ghibli movie just didn't do it right, changed a bunch of things unnecessarily, and was boring. It's one of my favorite books and I would really like a movie that feels like it captures the spirit of the book.

This this this!!

I heard that maybe Incarceron (by Catherine Fisher) was being made into a movie, but the main boy would be played by Taylor Lautner?? Not entirely sure how I feel about that. Incarceron was one of my favorite books and I hope that if it does end up happening it'll be done well. <3

Hmm. Just by looking at my bookshelf, maybe In The After by Demitria Lunetta or 127 Hours by Johan Harstad could make interesting movies (the first's a little iffy).

Also, maybe The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau, it's suuuuuper Hunger Games-like so I'm sure it could attract a lot of the same fans. I thought that book was pretty good.

Years
  • 127 Hours by Johan Harstad could make interesting movies
    I thought for a moment that you might have meant 127 Hours and was going to say "But that's already a movie!" thought when looking it up it seems that the book is called 172 Hours on the Moon (in it's translated title) and the plot, from what little I read to avoid spoiling myself, seems pretty interesting so I think I may at some point read it and then if I do I think I'd also hope to see a movie adaptation of it.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I thought for a moment that you might have meant 127 Hours and was going to say "But that's already a movie!" thought when looking it up it seems that the book is called 172 Hours on the Moon (in it's translated title) and the plot, from what little I read to avoid spoiling myself, seems pretty interesting so I think I may at some point read it and then if I do I think I'd also hope to see a movie adaptation of it.

Oopsies, I was thinking about that movie when I wrote the numbers and that's what came out xD My bad. It was really interesting and I think it could adapt really nicely ^^ It was pretty freaky just reading it so if it's done well it could be good (especially because of the ending!) You should read it if you're into that stuff =)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    Years ago I would have told you Eragon, but after watching the attempt Holly Wood made... yikes. That series seems like the perfect thing to adapt to a movie but the attempts I've seen so far are ridiculous. It's one thing for the dwarves not to actually be dwarf sized, that's completely forgivable. But a random shadow dragon out of absolutely NOWHERE? I really don't know what the directors were thinking on that one.

There are other books like the Evil Genius series or perhaps Artemis Fowl that I'd be interested in seeing on the silver screen. Young children who happen to be geniuses are always fun to watch on screen.

And basically anything anything by Stephen King that isn't already a book would be good too. I wonder what Under the Dome would look like as a movie nowadays.

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    I'd honestly love to see The Secret History become a movie. It's a pretty messed up book that makes you go, "Why the **** is this happening?" during every chapter which only encourages me even more to want to see it done.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I thought they were going to, and I really want to see a movie of the popular children's book, "the giver". I just want to see how they film it, because the books starts off in black and white and, throughout the story, the main character starts to see colour. It was a really interesting experience because there were no pictures, so the colour slowly had to be described.

Hey, watermelon tango. "Under the dome" has been made into a TV show. It was pretty good, but I can't compare to the book because I haven't read it. I do love me some Stephen King though. :)

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • I want the Kane Chronicles trilogy by Rick Riordan, (The Red Pyramid, The Throne of Fire, and The Serpent's Shadow), which is about Egyptian mythology and magic, similar to the author's OTHER series, only more pages, and IMHO, more interesting. They would make great movies I think.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I thought they were going to, and I really want to see a movie of the popular children's book, "the giver". I just want to see how they film it, because the books starts off in black and white and, throughout the story, the main character starts to see colour. It was a really interesting experience because there were no pictures, so the colour slowly had to be described.

I hear a film for that is in the works and should be out sometime in late 2014/2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giver#Adaptations

A film is being adapted which was given the green light in December 2012. Jeff Bridges is set to play The Giver[19] and Brenton Thwaites will play Jonas, Meryl Streep, Katie Holmes, Alexander Skarsgård, and Taylor Swift will also appear in the film.[20][21]It has been scheduled to be released on November 2014.

Taylor Swift having a role makes me question the movie's quality a bit, but I'm excited to see how they do it.But Meryl Streep is wonderful so she'll probably add quality to the film.

As for me, I'd always been wanting a Maximum Ride movie and I hear it's in production so I'm happy about that. Along with that I also love to see Artemis Fowl series and The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer be made into movies. I enjoyed Eoin Colfer's books as a kid and think they'd make great movies. Most of the book I want movie versions of seem to be in production already such as The Aichemyst by Michael Scott. I read this summer with a bunch of friends and loved it a lot.

Demon Days

Element of Magic
    Years
  • I want the Kane Chronicles trilogy by Rick Riordan, (The Red Pyramid, The Throne of Fire, and The Serpent's Shadow), which is about Egyptian mythology and magic, similar to the author's OTHER series, only more pages, and IMHO, more interesting. They would make great movies I think.
    I agree with this. Egyptian mythology is more interesting to me but that's probably because I know too much about classical mythology.
    I'd also like to see Skulduggery Pleasant put into movies. It'd be friggin' sweet.

Years
    Well, it seems they are making The Giver into a movie. Clicky clicky.

They'll have to tread very carefully with this book, given the material it covers. Oh, and I see they've put Taylor Swift in it for some reason. Now I'm very skeptical of this project's prospects.

Back