• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Basing 'Unova' on New York [ #6 ]

Was it a good idea?

• Total voters

Myles

Seriously?
Years
  • Well,i would prefer it to stay in "Japan",or a land which doesn't exist at all. A custom one. Why? The regions had many aspects based on the islands but they're almost whole new world, the only REALLY Japanese things i remembered were Kimono girls. It was all mixed up,like a custom land.
    I feel Isshu is based on NY a bit parodially. Soccer players were awkward,like all those businessmen etc. I think they really want us to believe we're in a bit parodied US. No idea why,but i don't think that's right...

There were actually lots of 'really Japanese' things in Johto. Because the place its based off is stereotypical of olden day Japan. The rest of the place is pretty well developed. Isshu isn't exactly a country western.

Bay

Years
  • I really didn't care if Isshu is based on New York, but I think it's interesting the games are going in that direction. Perhaps in later generations there will be regions base on different countries, which is possible considering in the past many Pokemon characters were from different lands.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I really didn't care if Isshu is based on New York, but I think it's interesting the games are going in that direction. Perhaps in later generations there will be regions base on different countries, which is possible considering in the past many Pokemon characters were from different lands.

I would love for a future region, perhaps even the next, to be based off of France or Greece.

Years
  • well is great because the city is bigger and the game doens´t over very fast.I hope if new games of pokemon is based on city like that

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I like it. And not only because I'm an American (actually, that never crossed my mind as a reason to like it) but because it's good to see more of a diverse culture in the Pokemon world. To see that in regions that aren't touched by others that the culture can be different.

Plus it's interesting to see what parts of American culture reached Japan enough for them to use it in a game.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I don't really care, although I'm happy with these new features. Somehow, I get the feeling if it wasn't based on NY, there wouldn't be a Hiun City, or White Forest or...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I kind of wish it was based on Japan, I wanted to see what was north (well west in the real world) of Johto/Kanto...the Arceus event in Hg/Ss really made me curious about that...but other than that I don't really care, at least Isshu isn't all city like real life NYC, they added parts to it making it more original than maybe even some of the Japan regions :)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I dont mind :/ Hopefully it would influence more pokemon games all based in major cities in various continents, like Sydney, Beijing, Cairo and London etc.

Strout

is a battle mage
    Years
  • Well,i would prefer it to stay in "Japan",or a land which doesn't exist at all. A custom one. Why? The regions had many aspects based on the islands but they're almost whole new world, the only REALLY Japanese things i remembered were Kimono girls. It was all mixed up,like a custom land.
    I feel Isshu is based on NY a bit parodially. Soccer players were awkward,like all those businessmen etc. I think they really want us to believe we're in a bit parodied US. No idea why,but i don't think that's right...

This. I think it's a really dumb idea and they should of just kept it in Japan.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years

• This. I think it's a really dumb idea and they should of just kept it in Japan.

Japan is small. Small means limited land. Limited land means the more you use it, the less creative another game will be in the future.

Years
  • I don't really care where it's based but I don't like how they've strayed from the original older style, like the Kimono Girls, wooden towers like Sprout Tower and Tin (Bell) and Brass Towers of Johto. I just personally like older style games. Another thing that annoys me is Hiun City and how it is just skyscraper after skyscraper. Can't they have a city like Goldenrod or Saffron with just a few tall buildings.

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    I don't really care. But after they went outside Japan, I want to see something like Finland or Russia with large number of snowy routes <3

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Absolutely.

I think it is a great change. Not that I dislike Japs, but I'm kind of tired of everything looking the same. I like a nice change. And I like the idea that all these regions are far apart, it always makes things a little more realistic to me for some reason... Especially when they can travel. Like in G/S/C.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well each of the Japan regions looked different, Kanto was bare and industrious, Johto was historical and fertile, Hoenn was very diverse and had lots of water, and Sinnoh was mountainous and ancient so no matter what they are based on they are all diffrent just like NYC and Phoenix :)
    so really geography land wise doesn't matter, its what's on it that does :)

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • ★ Do you think basing it on New York was a good idea? Nope.
    ★ If not, what would have you preferred instead? Why Paris of course.
    ★ Do you think future games will follow this trend of basing the region off other influential locations? Probably.

No I'm just kidding. I don't really think it's a bad idea, it's just that New York doesn't really have forests and places where Pokémon can live... I think xD It does change things a bit though. I just hope they won't pick on any other large metropolis again next time because it's nice to have some changes once in a while. And I'm not sure what it really changes because in previous games there were all sort of ecosystems that the trainer went through, so yeah.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Feels strange how it's based on NY, yet includes Raijin/Fuujin, cherry blossoms in spring etc...

If they were going to do America, make it like America. Add a cheeseburger or two.

Last edited:

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Since Hiun City is the only place that makes me think 'New York', and a few of the pokemon, I must say I couldn't care less about what the shape of the landmass is based on, or even if it is based on somewhere, as long as the actual locations and pokemon continue to show diversity. Personally, I'd like to see locations based on places like Greece, Peru, France, Spain, Vietnam, Thailand and India, among other places.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • I love it that it's based on one of my favourite cityes! Besides, a decentralization is a good thing IMO, cause Pokemon has overgrown it's primal boundaries and features. This is perfectly natural, and will continue in the future!

Back