• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Basing 'Unova' on New York [ #6 ]

Was it a good idea?

• Total voters

iRyu

Why is he smiling? The Father?
Years
  • *I think it's great, which kinda adds to the effect of a lot of old pokemon being unobtainable except through dream world (which could be like the person dreaming them being red or gold and obtaining pokemon if you wanted to take it a new level)

It also shows how we BS a lot of Japanese stuff in America, like Anime, through the pokemon.

*I personally hope that there isn't any other region/generation of pokemon because it's getting harder to get them and is crushing more dreams of children. Maybe like a huge game for the 3DS where you pick a region and venture everywhere, getting every pokemon. On the off chance that they do make one, I hope it is based on somewhere else than Japan. Maybe something European, that would be cool. And then they can put in voices with a british-accent. I would love that.

Austy

Cannibal
    Years
  • I think it's great they thought outside Japan. Of course, I would have liked to see more cultural references... I haven't heard of too many. But I suppose, this is just sort of an experiment for them, changing absolutely everything. I'm just excited to see other places! :D

InappropriateGoat

The Goldfish Lord
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    I love it. At first, I disliked it being outside of Japan, but I like it now ^_^
    I think the next few regions will be based on the USA and/or Canada. If any further generations are made, anyway xD

Yoshikachu

Bring on the R/S/E remakes!
    Years
  • well is great because the city is bigger and the game doens´t over very fast.I hope if new games of pokemon is based on city like that
    For me it was a really short game and far too easy and I think the region suffered for being based on only one city rather than a large area (It was really small, even smaller than Kanto I think)

*I personally hope that there isn't any other region/generation of pokemon because it's getting harder to get them and is crushing more dreams of children. Maybe like a huge game for the 3DS where you pick a region and venture everywhere, getting every pokemon. On the off chance that they do make one, I hope it is based on somewhere else than Japan. Maybe something European, that would be cool. And then they can put in voices with a british-accent. I would love that.
    I'd lol if everyone had posh accents, but I want the possible RSE remake to be for 3DS and have a bigger emphasis on exploration (being able to jump and climb stuff etc and battles where all the pokemon move around (like BW but better))

I think htere are enough regions based in such a little country though XD Especially since in game there is evidence that there are regions in other countries (Lt Surge is from the Unova region :) ) Hopefully it will start a new tradition, and there will be more regions based in different countries.
    It's already been said that he's from America and Unova isn't America (I've said this loads and it's still true)

I too agree that it's about time they have the setting of their new games somewhere not around the region of Japan. When I first saw the Isshu region map, I already knew that at least Hiun City was based after New York City (specifically Lower Manhattan for those who know), so I knew Isshu was based on the United States of America to some extent. That also makes me wonder... maybe Game Freak could focus on other areas of the globe for possible future installments, like areas of Europe...maybe even parts of Africa?
    I'd like a region based completely on Europe as it could have so much in it because Europe has so much contrast.

Last edited:
    Years
  • New York City is a fail. I love Unova/Isshu but NYC is fail for me.

Why? NYC isn't that big. And quite frankly...it isn't that great. I would preferred a Japanese region like Tohoku instead of NYC.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Honestly, normally I wouldn't care about this, but the reactions of the people against Unova being New York were actually quite... radical. That turned me off of those places, so that NY was the only place I DID end up wanting it. Just because they were that bad. I'm glad we got our US version, now let's go somewhere else so that there isn't nearly as much hate. Maybe Europe or Africa, they have some varying climates, and it'd be interesting to see what they'd do.

And I was getting sick of Japanese regions. Other places deserve the limelight, honestly. I don't care WHERE, but other places do deserve it.

Years
  • I kind of agree with Zeta. I don't like New York, but basing Isshu somewhere else like Egypt would have been awesome.

Also, Isshu may seem small because NYC is small. Blocks are like a few feet long. I'm not kidding. It takes 5 minutes to cross one.

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
  • I do like the fact that Pokemon has moved out of Japan... But NYC as a whole region? No. It's not that big... -_-

It's neat how in the game, you can tell which parts were inspired by New York, as I go there quite often. But I would of liked to see a bigger inspiration... Like... All of New England? Beaches and cold mountains and endless forests? Yes. They could of added Boston as a port city, Vermont and NH as forests and snowy routes, etc. XDDD Everyone just wants to see the game based on their own region.

But I really do think that Isshu... Er... Unova... Was based on a city that is a bit too small to be a whole region.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • being a major city outside Japan, New York seem to be a good choice. And it sets off the setting quite nicely. With no old Pokemon in the wild, except after the E4 i think, New York provides a whole new horizon, where new species were discovered.

Move aside Japan, we've got America now. I hope they feature Canada next.

Scythe_Ironclaw

For Iron Legion!
    Years
  • I like the idea of basing a region someplace that is not in the Euro-Asain continent.
    Now if only they would make a region based off of South Africa.

I like the addition of sports cameos such as American Football, Soccer, Basketball, and Tennis. I do have a few problems though;
    1) Where is the Safiri Zone!?
    2) GAME CORNER NOW!!
    3)Underwater is limited to one area
    4)Not enough water routes! (Same thing for Sinnoh)

Back