• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Stadium Daily Chit-Chat [Everyone go on the PO server please :D]

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I personally like Ooka's idea better, but that's mainly because I'm not a fan of the "LETZ GET RID OF EVERYTHING COZ DEY ALL SUX" approach. Also, if we expect to get newer battlers, Shoddy is not the way to go. Probably at least 85% of new battlers wouldn't even know what Shoddy is, much less how to use it. For hacked stuff, it's generally obvious when someone is hacking. Ban them from the League. It's that simple. And if you're really so desperate to see the match to confirm who won, honestly, just use the video section in the Wi-Fi Terminal, as that is why it's there.

Shoddy takes like 10 minutes to learn, if you already know about EV's and stuff and the movesets, its really not hard at all.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    dr4g0n12, no offense, but banning leagues until we get more challengers is stupid. Leagues need to get their act together. Banning them leaves NOTHING in the battle stadium except personal battle threads that are rarely challenged.
    And tournaments. But oh well, sure. How about just banning complex rules, and mix teir battles in leagues. Because as far as i am concerned, no newcomers will really like either of these.

Also, what if people are using a device to browse the internet that is incapable of using shoddy?(cell phone,dsi,wii,ect.) People should still be open to wifi in these cases(i use wii most of the time.)

If you people do not want such inexperienced battlers, why not teach them how to battle?

Last edited:

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    Here's my input.

- If people can't bother to learn shoddy, they shouldn't bother to battle. It takes just as long to get shoddy itself as it takes to set up a Wifi match. An announcement with a link to the download as well as explanations to how to use it could be useful. Don't forget that it's basically instant messaging on there too, people that are on the server can easily explain things to new users.

- Clans were awesome to an extent. They didn't do much besides educate members on how to play competitively. I think there was one clan war between "The Clan" and some other one. I don't remember it ever finishing either. Aww the nostalgia.

- Leagues are awesome if they're run properly and don't limit pokemon/move usage of the challengers. Monotype is possibly the biggest gimmick ever invented, and if we have a single league on PC, I vote it be standard 6v6 games. Nothing more. Double battles could be possible (especially when Shoddy 2 releases).

- Organization is key. This thread is working wonders on creating a general consensus on the whole activity issue as well as ways to improve the overall quality of the Battle Stadium.

- Again, thread approval where the post won't even show up 'till it gets approved.

tl;dr

- Clans should make a comeback if they are more organized and actual do what they're meant for.
    - 1 League that isn't monotype.
    - Shoddy should become mainstream at least for a while.
    - Keep up the suggestions/ideas in this thread.
    - Thread approval (not PM a mod approval).

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    Here's my input.

- If people can't bother to learn shoddy, they shouldn't bother to battle. It takes just as long to get shoddy itself as it takes to set up a Wifi match. An announcement with a link to the download as well as explanations to how to use it could be useful. Don't forget that it's basically instant messaging on there too, people that are on the server can easily explain things to new users.

- Clans were awesome to an extent. They didn't do much besides educate members on how to play competitively. I think there was one clan war between "The Clan" and some other one. I don't remember it ever finishing either. Aww the nostalgia.

- Leagues are awesome if they're run properly and don't limit pokemon/move usage of the challengers. Monotype is possibly the biggest gimmick ever invented, and if we have a single league on PC, I vote it be standard 6v6 games. Nothing more. Double battles could be possible (especially when Shoddy 2 releases).

- Organization is key. This thread is working wonders on creating a general consensus on the whole activity issue as well as ways to improve the overall quality of the Battle Stadium.

- Again, thread approval where the post won't even show up 'till it gets approved.

tl;dr
    - Clans should make a comeback if they are more organized and actual do what they're meant for.
    - 1 League that isn't monotype.
    - Shoddy should become mainstream at least for a while.
    - Keep up the suggestions/ideas in this thread.
    - Thread approval (not PM a mod approval).
    Do you mean the system that they use in strategies and movesets?
    A league that is not monotype would be good.
    Also, more tournaments should be considered.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    Actually S&M isn't operating on the thread approval system as of last month because it was seriously cutting down activity and stuff, but it may be an option here. We'll have to see I guess.

I agree with Aero though, we need more shoddy around here \o/

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Well then if Shoddy is to be the new order of the day that immediately removes me from this. I operate off a Wii most often, so Shoddy simply is not an option.
    Also, nobody seems to notice MMS isn't monotype. Why?
    And pretty much everyone here operates under standard rules. If those a difficult for anyone, TBH, you shouldn't be battling here.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    I never meant get rid of standard rules. I meant get rid of rules like this:
    Max 2 ous. Or this: No combining metagross and scizor.

.Aero

Years
    Limiting OUs made sense when facing a monotype leader. 6 OUs vs. 6 mixed all same types is highly uneven.

But, if we remove monotype from leagues, that rule is no longer viable. Entry hazard bans are no longer viable (as if they ever were), Sandstorm + Pursuit may be the only viable ban on Wifi due to Acid Rain, but if we convert slowly to shoddy, there will be no harm in such a combo.

@pokemonleaguechamp: You mean this thread: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=205683 ? Where leaders' teams are still limited by a stupid gimmick? (I'm not trying to be rude, I just fail to see how you can use that argument when monotype = gimmick, themes = gimmicks).

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
    It isn't stupid. It makes it more challenging for leaders to build teams that can't be beaten within constraints rather than with none. Otherwise, Leagues would be Leagues in name only. They would all be clans.

At any rate, to anyone willing to be a part(and based on what he's saying I doubt Aero will)in a new League with NO tier restrictions(Ubers banned as always), NO monotypes, and NO themed gyms please let me know in a VM. If I get enough people interested I will form a group and we will hammer together the(hopefully)best league to be on PC.

Last edited:

.Aero

Years
    *breaks out dictionary.com yet again*

League - an association of individuals having a common goal.

Notice it says nothing about gimmicks...and it's still challenging to come up with a team that is restricted by specifics. *stares down the metagame* I don't see what you're getting at quite honestly.

Gimmicks aren't a necessity. A good league does not require a gimmick. It only requires:

- Active leaders and challengers
    - Tough leaders
    - Some basic organized setup.

Whenever Motisma gets going, I'm sure it'll provide the experience of an almost flawless league.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    *breaks out dictionary.com yet again*

League - an association of individuals having a common goal.

Notice it says nothing about gimmicks...and it's still challenging to come up with a team that is restricted by specifics. *stares down the metagame* I don't see what you're getting at quite honestly.

Gimmicks aren't a necessity. A good league does not require a gimmick. It only requires:

- Active leaders and challengers
    - Tough leaders
    - Some basic organized setup.

Whenever Motisma gets going, I'm sure it'll provide the experience of an almost flawless league.
    And yet, it does not require ou limit and other stupid/complex rules. Mix teir battles are the reason why i do not challenge most leagues.

.Aero

Years
    And yet, it does not require ou limit and other stupid/complex rules. Mix teir battles are the reason why i do not challenge most leagues.

Hmmm...I can't really figure out if you're thinking that I personally like mixed tier battles...

Let me clarify:

Monotype leagues had viability on limiting OUs, they had reason. It sucks, yes, but at least it has reasons to back up the rule. I do not like the rule however, which is why I am against monotype.

Standard 6v6 is extremely enjoyable and opens up a whole new plethora of options. Learn to metagame and maybe PC will become a better battling community (directed at no one specifically).

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
    Well the League I'm plotting out has no "gimmicks" as you like to call it. Just levels of increasingly tougher battles. It will more or less be a clan without being a clan(if that makes any sense). I'm trying to get some people in on this, but if it's to get anywhere I'm gonna need more people for ideas, holding positions, design, rules, anything.
    I now look back on when I discussed Nova League a while back in Heart and Soul League and found myself ridiculed for it. It's kinda ironic that the Nova League may well end up replacing the H&S League.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    Me too. It had better replace it. Pokemonleaguechamp, should you be only able to use 1 tier at a time? It would be good, since new battlers probably only use 1 tier at a time, and it would cause them to have to build a new team. That would take long, causing it to be inactive.

.Aero

Years
    Me too. It had better replace it. Pokemonleaguechamp, should you be only able to use 1 tier at a time? It would be good, since new battlers probably only use 1 tier at a time, and it would cause them to have to build a new team. That would take long, causing it to be inactive.

*cough* Shoddy *cough*

Anything with added rules is a gimmick. Standard 6v6 is the only thing that is not. Possibly 4v4 doubles is not either, although I do not know anything about the double's metagame.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    Trick room teams are 1 thing. They have 1 pokemon use protect at the start of the battle (usually) , and a defensive one that uses trick room, making slow go fast and fast go slow. It is good, because it makes trick scarfers, and non-defensive sweepers fail. Works good with slow and bulky sweepers, and walls. (this is for double battles.)

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
    *cough* Shoddy *cough*

Anything with added rules is a gimmick. Standard 6v6 is the only thing that is not. Possibly 4v4 doubles is not either, although I do not know anything about the double's metagame.

Frankly, anything with no added rules at all is just a bunch of trainers hanging around and battling everyone else(almost a mega-quick battle thread). However, I will have enough.....stuff in my league so it's not boring, and little enough so that many will challenge.
    Whether or not to use Shoddy is up to leaders to decide. I won't be mandating it.

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
    Frankly, anything with no added rules at all is just a bunch of trainers hanging around and battling everyone else(almost a mega-quick battle thread). However, I will have enough.....stuff in my league so it's not boring, and little enough so that many will challenge.
    Whether or not to use Shoddy is up to leaders to decide. I won't be mandating it.
    As i stated before, shoddy is good, but they should also be able to use wifi. Some people would lik to use shoddy, but cannot, because of errors, or the device they are using.

Back