• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Stadium Daily Chit-Chat [Everyone go on the PO server please :D]

VCaliber

The Cutest (=
Years
    • Seen May 21, 2010
    And some people cannot use Shoddy at all. For one reason or another. I know quite a few people can't use Shoddy for some reason. Personally, I think all leaders should be able to do both.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Actually, there should be no reason someone can't use Shoddy. A Java update won't hurt a thing, and is allowed by any computer, even one using a firewall. Also, Shoddy is a .exe program running in Java, so the only way a it can be denied is by denying access to the Shoddy site directly, which can be reversed, so again, not a problem. Anyone that says it won't work on their computer either did something wrong, or has something wrong with it that doesn't only deny it Shoddy, but a lot of other things. So yeah, there is no argument that a lot of people "can't" get Shoddy, only that they're too lazy to look for a way to get it.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    You also have to consider not everyone has incredibly high speed internet, making Wi-Fi not a good option for them if you don't want to sit battling for over an hour (and it might even disconnect during that hour long battle). Some don't even have internet that's up to part to even use for Wi-Fi.

Though you could say the same with a person not owning a computer. So the only thing I could think of is a Wi-Fi and Shoddy split for leagues, which is kind of difficult considering how many people are active in the Battle Stadium.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Actually, there should be no reason someone can't use Shoddy. A Java update won't hurt a thing, and is allowed by any computer, even one using a firewall. Also, Shoddy is a .exe program running in Java, so the only way a it can be denied is by denying access to the Shoddy site directly, which can be reversed, so again, not a problem. Anyone that says it won't work on their computer either did something wrong, or has something wrong with it that doesn't only deny it Shoddy, but a lot of other things. So yeah, there is no argument that a lot of people "can't" get Shoddy, only that they're too lazy to look for a way to get it.

Or maybe they're not lazy, they just don't want to use it. I tried Shoddy once, but I prefer Wi-Fi. Not to mention there is no Wii Shoddy(PBR doesn't count.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • But it wasn't a comment directed to people who didn't want to, it was directed at the comment:

And some people cannot use Shoddy at all. For one reason or another. I know quite a few people can't use Shoddy for some reason

Which is people that apparently "can't" use it.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Well, in that case you'd be right. But I'm sure there's a considerable number that prefer Wi-Fi.

Which is why this activity problem exists. End of discussion on Shoddy.

So yeah. If you want to use Wifi, be my guest. I'm not forcing it on people. I personally feel that switching the main battle system over to Shoddy will greatly affect activity in a positive way.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
  • Well, when I first showed up on the battling stage(September 2009 I believe), the predominant method was Wi-Fi, and it was rather active then. Wi-Fi's not the problem.

Painter

BEWARE THE LETTUCE CHILDREN!
    Years
  • no, wifi isnt the problem. imo there are 2 things that are hurting us, noobs who come and spam and start their own leagues, and then there are those people like ooka and aero who just come and try to turn the battle stadium exactly what they want just because they dont like the way we run it now/past

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
  • .Aero wants shoddy because he does not have wifi.

Also, leagues are a bad idea. I am just willing to compromise. I also think there should be more tournaments.

Last edited:

Painter

BEWARE THE LETTUCE CHILDREN!
    Years
  • youve clearly been brainwashed by them because everything was fine until they came and created that shred of doubt(bs) that leagues suck

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • youve clearly been brainwashed by them because everything was fine until they came and created that shred of doubt(bs) that leagues suck

The point of this thread is to calmly express your opinion about the Battle Stadium, not to point fingers and blame other members. Please and thank you.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Oblivious to everything I see. I never thought that you, Painter, would be like that. :(

It's been obvious for a while that leagues were dying. Greene lost interest in HnS before Ooka showed up after his hiatus, and I've been around for a long time so I don't ever remember showing up. Leagues were dying, activity was dying. Ooka and I saw this, and we felt reform was necessary to save one of our old favorite sections on PC.

Also, Ooka and I are speaking from experience mind you. We know how this forum has worked. We've both been here for nearly three years, and we've seen this section drastically changed. We want the good ol' days back where battles were always happening, people were always helping each other, and one of the more recent faults we've found is the stupid rules that ban rules/pokemon that they shouldn't.

The only viable move ban is Pursuit over Wifi because of acid rain.

I do not want this place to convert to Shoddy because "I don't have Wifi". Shoddy is so freaking fast you'll have your mind blown if you ever play it. Battles will get done faster and the Battle Stadium will "evolve" (for lack of a better word) into something more exciting and strategic.

So many of the common problems that I see can be solved simply by using Shoddy. Shall I make a pros/cons again?

Pros:
    - Fast battles.
    - Can save logs to prevent lying/hax losses.
    - Hacking isn't a problem.
    - Takes 15 minutes to make a team, and even less to edit.
    - Instant chat communication.
    - Others can watch the battle take place.
    - Saves the work of having to use those God awful Friend Codes.
    - Bad connections/disconnects are HIGHLY unlikely as your actual internet (for most people) doesn't run off Wifi.

Cons:
    - Lack of animations (will be fixed with Shoddy 2 presumably)
    - Lack of double battles (same as above)
    - What appears to be more hax (but could be argued)
    - Some people do not have access (which also applies for Wifi)

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    There could always just be Wi-Fi only tournaments and Shoddy only tournaments, or anything similar.

Umanouski

1/2 of the NIWA Tag Team Champ
    Years
  • Which is why this activity problem exists. End of discussion on Shoddy.

So yeah. If you want to use Wifi, be my guest. I'm not forcing it on people. I personally feel that switching the main battle system over to Shoddy will greatly affect activity in a positive way.

I don't entirely agree with that statement. Never used shoddy and prolly never will simply because

1. It takes zero effort (at least from what im hearing here) to make a great team that is well put together, rather than take the time in the game. Now i understand that people just dont have the time. However there is a sense of pride that you feel when a team you worked hard to breed/raise/train wins battles rather than one on shoddy

2. Some people just wont understand how to set-up a team and all that on shoddy, but most likely they are the people that dont understand wifi either.

3. If people are not going to battle over wifi, there is not much else that can really boost attendance and activity in this forum. We need somthing that will attract people here. Make the forum more interesting, because all i see is just a bunch of bland battle threads. We need rivalries

PokemonLeagueChamp

Years
  • Rivalries=clans, generally speaking. And they're long gone. But I'd have to agree, Shoddy takes away every personal aspect involved in training and tutoring, by which point you may as well be playing the TCG.
    And I agree with Painter, leagues may not be perfect, but that's no reason to get rid of all of them.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I don't entirely agree with that statement. Never used shoddy and prolly never will simply because

1. It takes zero effort (at least from what im hearing here) to make a great team that is well put together, rather than take the time in the game. Now i understand that people just dont have the time. However there is a sense of pride that you feel when a team you worked hard to breed/raise/train wins battles rather than one on shoddy

2. Some people just wont understand how to set-up a team and all that on shoddy, but most likely they are the people that dont understand wifi either.

3. If people are not going to battle over wifi, there is not much else that can really boost attendance and activity in this forum. We need somthing that will attract people here. Make the forum more interesting, because all i see is just a bunch of bland battle threads. We need rivalries

I disagree.

Shoddy is a good place to sort out a team that works for you. Once you've made a team that works, make it on Wi-Fi, and use it there.

This way, you're not making random teams that have no synergy.

Back